Just how lucky was I?

Deserted

No way to tell what really happened from this. The footage of you starts with you in the middle lane after contact was initiated. Any idea how you wound up there in the first place? And, yes, you're lucky to be alive. Congratulations. I hope you're healing quickly.

First view I didn't see anything I was looking at the side of the road where I assumed you would be riding. The crash could have been the end of you if some other vehicle was speeding along and ran over you so you had some good luck there. This does look like a shit road to be cycling on and I would have ridden at the side of it if I had to use it. If the pavement  had enough length to it I may ridden on that. 

30 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I'm curious to know why you were in that lane?

It's made me rethink my own strategy on some diverging junctions, where I need to get out to the third lane on fairly fast, busy roads.

SC

Even in Chiang Mai where I am on some multi lane roads with lots of speedy traffic and I need to get to the other side , I use the pedestrian footbridge. The bikes not too heavy and I have mountain bike shoes which are ok for walking. It's a minor ballache but sometimes you can be waiting for a gap forever. 

Ok. I made an uncharacteristic error. I was startled by a taxi beeping behind me and changed lane without checking first. In any agent I don't usually ride on the inside of the inside lane because the road quality is poorer and people pull out. If you travel at 30-50kms an hour it is not good to be there. The accident was caused only because I didn't check before pulling out. A stupid mistake I know.

20 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

First view I didn't see anything I was looking at the side of the road where I assumed you would be riding. The crash could have been the end of you if some other vehicle was speeding along and ran over you so you had some good luck there. This does look like a shit road to be cycling on and I would have ridden at the side of it if I had to use it. If the pavement  had enough length to it I may ridden on that. 

That's where I was but pulled out. Road was pretty quiet comparatively. I always pull out which in traffic and providing you check first is not a problem. Why I didn't this time I don't know. Perhaps fatigue. 

it was a long day and although 60kms a day is nothing. I took 2 weeks off and felt it that day

18 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I'm curious to know why you were in that lane?

It's made me rethink my own strategy on some diverging junctions, where I need to get out to the third lane on fairly fast, busy roads.

SC

I moved lane because of the taxi behind beeping his horn. Middle lane is never a problem if you check before you pull out

20 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

I cycle 200kms a week on average. Can't use pavements. I am safe usually. I always pull out and that's safe if you look first. I did not this time. Hence the accident. 

18 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Even in Chiang Mai where I am on some multi lane roads with lots of speedy traffic and I need to get to the other side , I use the pedestrian footbridge. The bikes not too heavy and I have mountain bike shoes which are ok for walking. It's a minor ballache but sometimes you can be waiting for a gap forever. 

The roadworks have finished at one of my regular junctions; it used to be congested, with a single diverging left lane, which meant:

a) I could keep pace with the traffic

B) I only had one lane to get across to the straight-on lane.

Now the works are complete, there are two diverging left lanes, and I have found myself forced to take the left turn, then find a place to get across and come wrong-road up the U-turn lane (it's a complicated 3-level junction with lanes going all sorts of everywhere... 

It would be a nightmare if you did not know the junction well, though, and you might find yourself having to change the destination of your ride.

Getting across the road in the other direction, we usually use the footbridge

SC

I think it comes down to how many Kms you do that journey. If it's even 20kms plus it's annoying to use footbridges. I do around 60kms a day at the weekend and no matter what the road is like I will find a way. Just gotta not let that happen again. I never pull out without looking. Silly mistake

I think it comes down to how many Kms you do that journey. If it's even 20kms plus it's annoying to use footbridges. I do around 60kms a day at the weekend and no matter what the road is like I will find a way. Just gotta not let that happen again. I never pull out without looking. Silly mistake

At least you live to realize your mistake, to help you might want to consider investing in a Garmin Varia Radar, I've found it incredibly useful for notifying me not only if something is behind but how fast they are approaching too.

Wish you well on your recovery and are back on the bike soon.

58 minutes ago, Minnehaha said:

stupid. 

riding a bicycle in the middle of the road near the outside lane, at midnight.

'nuff said.

you asked for comments.

Sorry to say, but I have to agree with Minnehaha.

I used to bike regularly in Thailand also but I would never consider riding such a busy road as you did anywhere else but on the most inside lane. Bad pavement and cars pulling out? Always better than being surrounded by cars drving at relative breakneck speed on both sides of you praying they noticed you.

If you really want to ride your bike in BKK for longer stretches I would urgently recommend changing your routes.

Why don't you go to the airport track? Once it opens up again it should give you a good option. 

Otherwise maybe pick a highway somewhere (even though the speeds will be higher there) and stick on the extra lane. Less risk of cars pulling into your lane as there are only limited ramps.

You seem quick to admit your mistake of changing lanes without looking, but I think your main mistake was being there at that time to begin with.

(p.s. I used to cycle in Lumpinee park only in Bangkok and when I moved to Phuket I used the main road here. Till after a year ago or something when I realized the dangers of ridinga bicylce here and now I only use my bike trainer indoors. The risk is simply not worth it...).

22 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Why don't you go to the airport track? Once it opens up again it should give you a good option. 

Otherwise maybe pick a highway somewhere (even though the speeds will be higher there) and stick on the extra lane. Less risk of cars pulling into your lane as there are only limited ramps.

The airport track looks exceptionally tedious.  And extremely exposed.  I suffer dehydration just going past in a taxi on the way to the airport.

On bigger highways, if I can, I try to enter at one junction and leave at the next, as I think it is very dangerous to cross the slip roads.  

Once again yesterday, as I returned home, I approached a junction where I had to get into the third lane (the third and fourth lanes had traffic lights, the first and second lanes are always green for the through road); traffic was coming off the highway fast, as usual, so rather than risk it, I stopped and used the pedestrian-controlled lights to get across.  At that particular crossing, the lights for the pedestrian are out of action, so you can either walk a couple of metres up the road to see whether they main road lights are red before you cross, or wait until the traffic stops - probably the latter is the safer option.  I don't like placing my life entirely in the care of a coloured light, and prefer to cross when I can see that all traffic is stationary.

However, not all high speed diverging junctions have pedestrian crossings.  Actually, the other crossing that I have mentioned before (at the complex split-level junction) does not - I will try to find out to whom I should make the suggestion, as it is a busy part of town and there are no alternative pedestrian routes.

SC

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

The airport track looks exceptionally tedious.  And extremely exposed.  I suffer dehydration just going past in a taxi on the way to the airport.

The choice is yours, you either bring some extra water and dress appropriately or you risk your life and serious injury by staying on busy roads.

I cannot imagine how stupid one would feel to take such extreme risks and ending up in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives, just so they avoid an exceptionally tedious cycling track.

The choice is yours, you either bring some extra water and dress appropriately or you risk your life and serious injury by staying on busy roads.

I cannot imagine how stupid one would feel to take such extreme risks and ending up in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives, just so they avoid an exceptionally tedious cycling track.

Funny though that the only time I've had an accident that resulted in significant time off the bike, it happened at the Skylane. That place is full of brainless idiots more concerned with taking selfies than paying attention to what people are doing around them. In my case, stupid person just decided to pull out into the "fast" lane when I was less than a meter behind giving me nowhere to go except in to them. I would also agree that the track is exceptionally tedious, I ride my bike to get out and enjoy myself, the Skylane robs you of any pleasure from cycling at all.

I personally find the roads to be much safer, and at least in the area of Bangkok that I live and ride, the vast majority of riders are courteous to cyclists.

1 hour ago, moonoi said:

Funny though that the only time I've had an accident that resulted in significant time off the bike, it happened at the Skylane. That place is full of brainless idiots more concerned with taking selfies than paying attention to what people are doing around them. In my case, stupid person just decided to pull out into the "fast" lane when I was less than a meter behind giving me nowhere to go except in to them. I would also agree that the track is exceptionally tedious, I ride my bike to get out and enjoy myself, the Skylane robs you of any pleasure from cycling at all.

I personally find the roads to be much safer, and at least in the area of Bangkok that I live and ride, the vast majority of riders are courteous to cyclists.

I notice much more good driving when I am cycling than when I am driving my car.      

If you really want to ride a bicycle in the city you need to think about your bicycle as a motorbike , use mirrors and lights . Always check your mirrors every 10 seconds for traffic from behind.  

You could end up dead next time , consider yourself very very lucky . 

hmmm.....2 wheels on Thai roads can be a deadly combination...... come to think of it, so can 4 wheels and probably walking on the side of the road..... 72 people killed everyday .... that's 3 an hour.....relentlessly onwards.....hmmm

OP you asked for comments, here mine.

First what the hell were you doing  in that lane?
Second what were you doing riding a bike at that time of night?

Third your biggest mistake was riding there in the first place, bloody crazy.

Remember it is not how you drive/ride it is what the other crazies are doing.

You are lucky to be alive, in future leave your bike at home, better still sell it.

Before you condemn my comments, i am paraplegic due to no fault of mine, but a crazy b..tard going the wrong way.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

OP you asked for comments, here mine.

1) First what the hell were you doing  in that lane?
2) Second what were you doing riding a bike at that time of night?

Third your biggest mistake was riding there in the first place, bloody crazy.

Remember it is not how you drive/ride it is what the other crazies are doing.

You are lucky to be alive, in future leave your bike at home, better still sell it.

Before you condemn my comments, i am paraplegic due to no fault of mine, but a crazy b..tard going the wrong way.

I've numbered your questions:

1) Maybe he was in lane for the junction he was approaching?
    Maybe he'd arrived in that lane from a converging junction?

2) When you have to get home, you have to get home.
     It did seem like quite a busy road, for that time of night;
     I don't normally ride on roads I'm not familiar with at night (except for that time coming back from the pub, when I had the opposite of deja vu - when you don't recognise roads that you've seen very often...)

SC

9 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I've numbered your questions:

1) Maybe he was in lane for the junction he was approaching?
    Maybe he'd arrived in that lane from a converging junction?

2) When you have to get home, you have to get home.
     It did seem like quite a busy road, for that time of night;
     I don't normally ride on roads I'm not familiar with at night (except for that time coming back from the pub, when I had the opposite of deja vu - when you don't recognise roads that you've seen very often...)

SC

Say what you like he should never have been riding a bike at that time of time.

As i already stated, it is not how you drive/ride, it is what other road users do.

Most of the road users here only think about me, me ,me.

On 5/1/2017 at 11:44 AM, StreetCowboy said:

On bigger highways, if I can, I try to enter at one junction and leave at the next, as I think it is very dangerous to cross the slip roads.  

Once again yesterday, as I returned home, I approached a junction where I had to get into the third lane (the third and fourth lanes had traffic lights, the first and second lanes are always green for the through road); traffic was coming off the highway fast, as usual, so rather than risk it, I stopped and used the pedestrian-controlled lights to get across.  At that particular crossing, the lights for the pedestrian are out of action, so you can either walk a couple of metres up the road to see whether they main road lights are red before you cross, or wait until the traffic stops - probably the latter is the safer option.  I don't like placing my life entirely in the care of a coloured light, and prefer to cross when I can see that all traffic is stationary.

However, not all high speed diverging junctions have pedestrian crossings.  Actually, the other crossing that I have mentioned before (at the complex split-level junction) does not - I will try to find out to whom I should make the suggestion, as it is a busy part of town and there are no alternative pedestrian routes.

SC

It's risky but not crazy to cycle in Bangkok. After the 'Bike for Mom and Dad' thing, cycling has taken off here and there are many clubs around the city who do it all the time. I put 8000kms on my bike last year, nearly all of which were in the city. I was at 3914kms on Apr12th when the accident occurred. I have cycled here for many years and never had a problem. Most people back off a little when they see a bicycle. I changed lane too quickly because I had a taxi up my backside beeping away and became startled. That is what caused the accident. As with many things, one mistake can be fatal. IMHO the guys on the motorbikes are much more at risk because of their speed. I am usually between 28-32 kms per hour, that's not fast. I made a very poor decision under pressure and paid the price. I have taken that exact road home for 5 years now, I know it well. It was Songkran, it was midnight, I expected it to be almost empty but it wasn't quite that.

If you are cautious and experienced Bangkok isn't so bad to cycle in but yes it is risky and yes even on a 20km ride into the city, so many decisions have to be made. You do need to be at full concentration all the way. The one time I wasn't I paid the price.  

Archived