Just how lucky was I?

Deserted

3 hours ago, Deserted said:

... I changed lane too quickly because I had a taxi up my backside beeping away and became startled. That is what caused the accident. ...

...It was Songkran, it was midnight, I expected it to be almost empty but it wasn't quite that.

SC:
At least if they sound their horn you know they've seen you.  I try to acknowledge with a friendly wave, and carry on.

Riding in the dark at Songkran seems a bit rash, as you would presumably be the only sober person on the road between Chiang Rai and Hatyai .

We have been advised not to do road works on holiday weekend nights due to the risk of drunk drivers (2 workers killed on the project earlier, despite having a barrier vehicle; ironically, fixing warning lamps on the temporary road barriers)

SC

On 5/3/2017 at 7:18 AM, Deserted said:

It's risky but not crazy to cycle in Bangkok. After the 'Bike for Mom and Dad' thing, cycling has taken off here and there are many clubs around the city who do it all the time. I put 8000kms on my bike last year, nearly all of which were in the city. I was at 3914kms on Apr12th when the accident occurred. I have cycled here for many years and never had a problem. Most people back off a little when they see a bicycle. I changed lane too quickly because I had a taxi up my backside beeping away and became startled. That is what caused the accident. As with many things, one mistake can be fatal. IMHO the guys on the motorbikes are much more at risk because of their speed. I am usually between 28-32 kms per hour, that's not fast. I made a very poor decision under pressure and paid the price. I have taken that exact road home for 5 years now, I know it well. It was Songkran, it was midnight, I expected it to be almost empty but it wasn't quite that.

If you are cautious and experienced Bangkok isn't so bad to cycle in but yes it is risky and yes even on a 20km ride into the city, so many decisions have to be made. You do need to be at full concentration all the way. The one time I wasn't I paid the price.  

You asked were you lucky, yes very. You said if your causious its ok to ride ,you were not and this is not your first time. In your other post you mentioned you were knocked out in previous accident and this time were out cold for 4 hours. Maybe those blows to the head have caused some brain damage. You sem to make light of both times and were saying you didn't think the hospital should have charged you with a C-skan. Even pro American foot ball players who wear helmets sometimes get knocked out for a few mins and are taken out of game and checked for concusion . You have been knoked out twice in 6 months and last time was for 4 hrs and you ask us are you lucky? Lucky and foolish. If you want to chance your life at least carry accident insurance or low cost term life insurance so when your risky ways kill you your daughter will have something to help replace the income from her deceased dad.

On 5/3/2017 at 7:18 AM, Deserted said:

It's risky but not crazy to cycle in Bangkok. After the 'Bike for Mom and Dad' thing, cycling has taken off here and there are many clubs around the city who do it all the time. I put 8000kms on my bike last year, nearly all of which were in the city. I was at 3914kms on Apr12th when the accident occurred. I have cycled here for many years and never had a problem. Most people back off a little when they see a bicycle. I changed lane too quickly because I had a taxi up my backside beeping away and became startled. That is what caused the accident. As with many things, one mistake can be fatal. IMHO the guys on the motorbikes are much more at risk because of their speed. I am usually between 28-32 kms per hour, that's not fast. I made a very poor decision under pressure and paid the price. I have taken that exact road home for 5 years now, I know it well. It was Songkran, it was midnight, I expected it to be almost empty but it wasn't quite that.

If you are cautious and experienced Bangkok isn't so bad to cycle in but yes it is risky and yes even on a 20km ride into the city, so many decisions have to be made. You do need to be at full concentration all the way. The one time I wasn't I paid the price.  

Not quite: You were in the middle lane blocking a taxi.... Thats what caused the incident.. (the route cause).

... rightly or wrongly so you were in the Taxi's way... this is how the Taxi driver see's it... You were blocking the whole middle lane.

Now... we all know that the Taxi driver was an ass... but many are... Being in the right and having right of way does not make you more safe. 

... You write, "as with many things, one mistake can be fatal".....   On a Bike in the central lane with traffic passing you on either side... 'one mistake is more likely to be fatal'... you failed to reduce your exposure to the risk. 

... As you well know, you were very very lucky...  but also foolish to be in such a position in the first place. 

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not quite: You were in the middle lane blocking a taxi.... Thats what caused the incident.. (the route cause).

... rightly or wrongly so you were in the Taxi's way... this is how the Taxi driver see's it... You were blocking the whole middle lane.

Now... we all know that the Taxi driver was an ass... but many are... Being in the right and having right of way does not make you more safe. 

... You write, "as with many things, one mistake can be fatal".....   On a Bike in the central lane with traffic passing you on either side... 'one mistake is more likely to be fatal'... you failed to reduce your exposure to the risk. 

... As you well know, you were very very lucky...  but also foolish to be in such a position in the first place. 

I was in the inside lane as the video shows, I then moved to the middle lane and shouldn't have, certainly not so quickly as I did. The error of judgement was mine yes but the taxi triggered that the reaction that became that error. The root of the fault lies there as he had enough road to go round me (according to the driver) but the principal mistake was mine. Like you said we all know taxi drivers can be like that but I take that route home so often I was also caught off-guard by it not being as empty as it usually is. In addition, I had not even cycled 200 meters when it happened. I just wasn't focused enough in time. Silly, I know.   

7 hours ago, Tony125 said:

You asked were you lucky, yes very. You said if your causious its ok to ride ,you were not and this is not your first time. In your other post you mentioned you were knocked out in previous accident and this time were out cold for 4 hours. Maybe those blows to the head have caused some brain damage. You sem to make light of both times and were saying you didn't think the hospital should have charged you with a C-skan. Even pro American foot ball players who wear helmets sometimes get knocked out for a few mins and are taken out of game and checked for concusion . You have been knoked out twice in 6 months and last time was for 4 hrs and you ask us are you lucky? Lucky and foolish. If you want to chance your life at least carry accident insurance or low cost term life insurance so when your risky ways kill you your daughter will have something to help replace the income from her deceased dad.

Cycling in BKK isn't foolish. I made a mistake well two in fact but this is my fifth year and this year I had 3914 kms on my odometer already. We all make mistakes but yes I do wonder how after approximately 17000 kms in this city alone two accidents came close together and there weren't any previously. I know I made two mistakes and if I were new to cycling here I would think its foolish too. However, one more incident and I most certainly will be calling it quits. Both accidents were in the dark. I don't cycle in the dark now. I think you can minimise your efforts and be much safer. I do know how people drive here but as long as you are cautious and careful, you can be okay unless you make a mistake at the wrong time. That can happen with many things, crossing the road, you name it. Unfortunately, once is enough though. It's not a good city to cycle in but with care and attention insurance isn't necessary. 

2 hours ago, Deserted said:

I was in the inside lane as the video shows, I then moved to the middle lane and shouldn't have, certainly not so quickly as I did. The error of judgement was mine yes but the taxi triggered that the reaction that became that error. The root of the fault lies there as he had enough road to go round me (according to the driver) but the principal mistake was mine. Like you said we all know taxi drivers can be like that but I take that route home so often I was also caught off-guard by it not being as empty as it usually is. In addition, I had not even cycled 200 meters when it happened. I just wasn't focused enough in time. Silly, I know.   

Fair enough...  when the Taxi driver was papping his horn and making a general ass of himself behind you, I'm curious why you would pull out to the right into the second lane instead of pulling over towards the curb on the left ?

3 hours ago, Deserted said:

Cycling in BKK isn't foolish. I made a mistake well two in fact but this is my fifth year and this year I had 3914 kms on my odometer already. We all make mistakes but yes I do wonder how after approximately 17000 kms in this city alone two accidents came close together and there weren't any previously. I know I made two mistakes and if I were new to cycling here I would think its foolish too. However, one more incident and I most certainly will be calling it quits. Both accidents were in the dark. I don't cycle in the dark now. I think you can minimise your efforts and be much safer. I do know how people drive here but as long as you are cautious and careful, you can be okay unless you make a mistake at the wrong time. That can happen with many things, crossing the road, you name it. Unfortunately, once is enough though. It's not a good city to cycle in but with care and attention insurance isn't necessary. 

Without wishing to come down too hard on you and while I do appreciate your experience in riding the 'one more incident and I'll call it quits' idea is fundamentally flawed... one more accident and IT could be quits... lights out, the end... dead.

You recognize that Bangkok is not a good city to cycle in, but with care and attention you dont need insurance ?.. it would seem extremely caviler not to ensure you have adequate medical coverage while in Thailand, even more so if you are partaking in activities which increase your risk profile. 

By not cycling in the dark you have reduced your risk profile significantly, thats a smart move. I've been driving for over 15 years in Thailand... people do silly things, my guess is that they just don't pay attention, motorcycles do even sillier things.... I also ride a bicycle - its the motorcycles which do the silly things and place me at additional risk..  

The general education levels, awareness of the dangers, concept of consequence and consideration for others on the roads in Thailand is such that any activity where Vehicles (motorcycles and cars) are mixed with much slower traffic (cycling or pedestrian) there is a significant increase in the risk of serious injury no matter what precautions you take or how dramatically heightened your awareness is...  

Its a balance, quality of life, enjoyment etc must be balanced off against the risks which we all evaluate differently. 

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Without wishing to come down too hard on you and while I do appreciate your experience in riding the 'one more incident and I'll call it quits' idea is fundamentally flawed... one more accident and IT could be quits... lights out, the end... dead.

You recognize that Bangkok is not a good city to cycle in, but with care and attention you dont need insurance ?.. it would seem extremely caviler not to ensure you have adequate medical coverage while in Thailand, even more so if you are partaking in activities which increase your risk profile. 

By not cycling in the dark you have reduced your risk profile significantly, thats a smart move. I've been driving for over 15 years in Thailand... people do silly things, my guess is that they just don't pay attention, motorcycles do even sillier things.... I also ride a bicycle - its the motorcycles which do the silly things and place me at additional risk..  

The general education levels, awareness of the dangers, concept of consequence and consideration for others on the roads in Thailand is such that any activity where Vehicles (motorcycles and cars) are mixed with much slower traffic (cycling or pedestrian) there is a significant increase in the risk of serious injury no matter what precautions you take or how dramatically heightened your awareness is...  

Its a balance, quality of life, enjoyment etc must be balanced off against the risks which we all evaluate differently. 

Yes agreed. I spoke to a retired but previously very high ranking police officer at the gym yesterday. His take was there is no discipline on the road here, I thought of it more as selfishness but whatever. The motorbikes are such a pain but the people who pull in at speed, not out to undertake are the biggest concern. One 4x4 did that yesterday.

Regarding the question about why didn't I pull towards the kerb. I also don't know. Have asked myself that one more than enough times already.

Cycling is in my blood I don't want to stop ever, just need to limit where I do it. I usually do about 200kms a month and am used to it. I will start cycling to Ayyuthya in the mornings on days off, that's better than cruising around the city through the traffic which I got used to but is definitely not the safest thing to do.

9 hours ago, Deserted said:

Yes agreed. I spoke to a retired but previously very high ranking police officer at the gym yesterday. His take was there is no discipline on the road here, I thought of it more as selfishness but whatever. The motorbikes are such a pain but the people who pull in at speed, not out to undertake are the biggest concern. One 4x4 did that yesterday.

Regarding the question about why didn't I pull towards the kerb. I also don't know. Have asked myself that one more than enough times already.

Cycling is in my blood I don't want to stop ever, just need to limit where I do it. I usually do about 200kms a month and am used to it. I will start cycling to Ayyuthya in the mornings on days off, that's better than cruising around the city through the traffic which I got used to but is definitely not the safest thing to do.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30314315  57yo BKK women killed cycling to Bus Station

Deserted, I've maybe posted before about this.  I love cycling, but would never cycle in BKK.  I used to cycle in north Phuket, but gave that up some years ago because it got too dangerous.

What reason keeps you in BKK if you're not working?

Some time ago, I relocated to Naypyidaw, Myanmar.  Cycling in this green city is an absolute pleasure ==> almost no traffic, separate cycle lanes, cycle paths around the lakes etc.

naypyidaw.jpg.0fd17064984f7ad2cf7d5118d95490ee.jpg

It is so enjoyable and safe that I am seriously considering remaining in this city as long as I am able (which seems to be a long time because there's no age restriction on my job).

Also, the prices for bicycle 'bits' in Naypyidaw never ceases to amaze me.

My cheap Chinese bike ($100 USD), has been showing wear and tear, only 3 months after I bought it (but heavy usage every day).

I popped down to the bike shop for:

- Replace the rear tyre (worn out and split)
- Add a nice rigid front basket to put my shopping in
- Add 2 rearview mirrors
- Replace the broken sidestand
- Replace the pedal crank ball bearing assembly - completely broken
- straighten out one side of the pedal crank
- repair the front brake

All done in a couple of hours (motorbike taxi to/from my hotel for 50 baht each way).

Total cost of all those repairs, add-ons and labour = 488 Thai baht (equivalent) 

If you are able, why not relocate to a city/location where you can enjoy your cycling hobby with minimal risk?

As others have pointed out, you have been very lucky with your recent accidents, but you're not a cat with 9 lives.

Think about it.

Simon

Update:

Also, I pay 28,000 Thai baht per year for a south-east Asia medical insurance policy, with full evacuation cover from Myanmar to Bangkok/Singapore, no OP cover, $2,000 USD excess, (I'm 58 years old, no pre-existing conditions).

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Deserted, I've maybe posted before about this.  I love cycling, but would never cycle in BKK.  I used to cycle in north Phuket, but gave that up some years ago because it got too dangerous.

What reason keeps you in BKK if you're not working?

Some time ago, I relocated to Naypyidaw, Myanmar.  Cycling in this green city is an absolute pleasure ==> almost no traffic, separate cycle lanes, cycle paths around the lakes etc.

naypyidaw.jpg.0fd17064984f7ad2cf7d5118d95490ee.jpg

It is so enjoyable and safe that I am seriously considering remaining in this city as long as I am able (which seems to be a long time because there's no age restriction on my job).

Also, the prices for bicycle 'bits' in Naypyidaw never ceases to amaze me.

My cheap Chinese bike ($100 USD), has been showing wear and tear, only 3 months after I bought it (but heavy usage every day).

I popped down to the bike shop for:

- Replace the rear tyre (worn out and split)
- Add a nice rigid front basket to put my shopping in
- Add 2 rearview mirrors
- Replace the broken sidestand
- Replace the pedal crank ball bearing assembly - completely broken
- straighten out one side of the pedal crank
- repair the front brake

All done in a couple of hours (motorbike taxi to/from my hotel for 50 baht each way).

Total cost of all those repairs, add-ons and labour = 488 Thai baht (equivalent) 

If you are able, why not relocate to a city/location where you can enjoy your cycling hobby with minimal risk?

As others have pointed out, you have been very lucky with your recent accidents, but you're not a cat with 9 lives.

Think about it.

Simon

Update:

Also, I pay 28,000 Thai baht per year for a south-east Asia medical insurance policy, with full evacuation cover from Myanmar to Bangkok/Singapore, no OP cover, $2,000 USD excess, (I'm 58 years old, no pre-existing conditions).

That's a lot wider than the KL Bike Lanes.  Luckily we have pleasant roads for cycling on

IMG_0296.JPG

• 2 months later...
On 4/25/2017 at 2:38 PM, Deserted said:

I think it comes down to how many Kms you do that journey. If it's even 20kms plus it's annoying to use footbridges. I do around 60kms a day at the weekend and no matter what the road is like I will find a way. Just gotta not let that happen again. I never pull out without looking. Silly mistake

If you go to post #74 you can watch the video in slow motion, if you can stomach it.

6 hours ago, moonoi said:

And how is that related to this post?

Because in this post and another (now closed to comments) the OP was saying he drives safely didn't think he needed any insurance and was pissed Thai hospital charged him too much for unnesscesary treatment--he was unconcious for "4" hours. Plus this was the second accident he had in a short time period. Told him to take out at least accident insurance to cover injuries or some payment to his family as no matter how well you ride a bike  anything can happen at anytime as my post showed.

You have a point here. That's a tragic end to someone's life. I don't quite understand how he hit the woman to his left, perhaps he was tired and lost concentration. 

I took note of what was said here and cut right back on everything. 

It's quite simple, the person walking didn't check properly see if it was clear and wasn't paying attention to where she was walking, the cyclist wasn't riding in a primary position, which you should on that road, probably because she was aware of the bus approaching behind, the bus itself didn't give sufficient passing distance. Remove any one of those factors and no one dies, everyone has a responsibility for each other's safety.

I don't see the parallel to this thread, simply because in the other it wasn't the cyclists fault, whereas this one the OP admitted he made a mistake that resulted in his accident.

The insurance/treatment issue is a different matter entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived