Beg-packing: Brit’s GoFundMe panned for asking netizens to fund Southeast Asia travels

webfact

Beg-packing: Brit’s GoFundMe panned for asking netizens to fund Southeast Asia travels

By Coconuts Bangkok

gfm.jpg

BANGKOK: -- On Tuesday, Brit backpacker Jacob Stroner created a GoFundMe campaign asking readers to cough up cash to fund his travels through Southeast Asia.

The long entry, titled “Travelling disaster,” tells of Stroner’s numerous passport, visa, and flight mishaps due to a damaged passport that led to him being held in detention cells in both Suvarnabhumi Airport and a Vietnamese airport and blowing through his savings on flight tickets he could not use since his passport was not valid for travel.

He’s now back at home in Overton, England, but hopes to get back to Asia with a new passport in hand as soon as possible. And he’d like you to pay for it.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/beg-packing-brits-gofundme-panned-asking-netizens-fund-southeast-asia-travels/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-04-24

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just read the the somewhat unstable Michael Yon wants to go to Korea to see whats going on there and will be taking " Donations " . Every month or so he is asking for cash for a new camera  , to pay his way or to just for a freebie holiday etc . 

50 minutes ago, pbeieio said:

More fake news used to "fill" this vacuous website with more and more CRAP!

WHY IS THIS RELEVANT??

Perhaps I, along with others will "vote with our feet" and unsubscribe?

More fool you. The news may be trivial, unworthy and pathetic, but I don't for a moment think it's fake. This clown seems to be 100% serious in his efforts... 

So this bloke is even "smarter" than the singing backpackers on the elevated walkways around Paragon. He even won't sing and get the money  straight on his bank.

Matey when i went backpacking in my twenties i worked 90 hour weeks to save up for my travels. Why on earth do you think you'll get it for free??

33 minutes ago, fruitman said:

So this bloke is even "smarter" than the singing backpackers on the elevated walkways around Paragon. He even won't sing and get the money  straight on his bank.

Matey when i went backpacking in my twenties i worked 90 hour weeks to save up for my travels. Why on earth do you think you'll get it for free??

I did something similar, left for Germany with 14 pounds in my pocket and worked my way all round Europe for a year,that was before the EU and yet it was surprisingly easy to find temporary work all over Europe, i worked in kitchens in Switzerland, assembled cupboards in Germany, cleaning saunas in Finland washed cars in Italy and did some farm work in France, a great way to get to know the countries.

52 minutes ago, fruitman said:

That's why:

When you have a choice of going out, getting a job and working for money to support yourself and your holidays, OR just asking for free money and others to pay for you. What do you do ?

Would appear that this young man was also absent when they taught work ethics.

He has a bright future ahead.

23 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I did something similar, left for Germany with 14 pounds in my pocket and worked my way all round Europe for a year,that was before the EU and yet it was surprisingly easy to find temporary work all over Europe, i worked in kitchens in Switzerland, assembled cupboards in Germany, cleaning saunas in Finland washed cars in Italy and did some farm work in France, a great way to get to know the countries.

Well, that scammer could do the same even over here, yes, it's called WORKING for your coin - have met a couple folks who did it, even easier now with the likes of:

http://www.workaway.info/

... then again, would anyone want that failure to 'work' anywhere near themselves ?! 

Edited by jollyhangmon