Prayut tries to calm fears over media bill

snoop1130

Prayut tries to calm fears over media bill

By The Nation

4eceac9619a74656ca50ec3ad41d1cfd.jpeg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Thursday attempted to allay fears over the controversial media regulatory bill, denying it was intended to restrict media freedom and calling for mutual trust between the media and the government.

He said it was necessary to have a new law to regulate the mass media, particularly online social media, due to a lot of problems created by “bad people” who spread false information irresponsibly.

“Do not fear restriction of the media. Why do I need to do so? I cannot work without the media. The media help expand my understanding. The media warn me about something bad, and I am ready to look into it,” Prayut said.

He urged the media to accept a regulating committee in the new legislation, but said he did not completely agree with the draft bill proposed by the National Reform Steering Council.

“I still do not agree with the draft. Before agreeing with it, I have to listen to the people and the media so see what they think,” he said.

Prayut did not elaborate as to whether he was referring to a proposed requirement that all media professionals, including those in the social media, need to have licences.

Any media professional working without a licence risks a jail term of up to three years or a maximum fine of Bt60,000, or both, according to the media reform bill.

The prime minister said media groups had admitted they were unable to regulate their members and therefore a regulating body was required to find those responsible when something wrong happens.

He maintained that he was not blaming the media but that the regulating body was required to prevent “bad people” from doing whatever they liked. 

“Other countries have the same thing and they have problems with social media. We are adopting a principle that is acceptable to the international community,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30313563

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-4-27

46 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

He said it was necessary to have a new law to regulate the mass media, particularly online social media, due to a lot of problems created by “bad people” who spread false information irresponsibly.

I thought under Article 44 he couldn't be prosecuted?

Increased police surveillance powers, a crackdown on ISPs, yet more restrictions on the media... Looks like the endgame is approaching.

I feel extremely sorry for the Thais who think and feel, but well there is nothing we on Thaivisa can do about it. If the Thai herd are happy enough with being just that, well don't let me get in your way.

Edited by baboon

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“bad people”

Can be applied to anyone who wants to know where a missing historic plaque went.  Somebody who wants to get together with five or more friends and talk about politics.  Thailand use to have a bright and fun future ahead.     

Edited by yellowboat

The absolute last thing the Junta wants is a free press.

Well that and a crappy education system for the masses.

The two absolute things the Junta wants are...nod to Monty Python

THAILAND PRESS FREEDOM FALLS FURTHER BACK, RSF SAYS

BANGKOK — Thailand has plunged deeper when it comes to press freedom this past year, a report published Wednesday said.

Paris-based organization Reporters Without Borders, or RSF, Ranked Thailand 142nd out of 180 countries around the world in the 2017 World Press Freedom Index, a fall of six places since last year.

The authors attributed this to the military junta’s role in keeping permanent surveillance on journalists and detaining some arbitrarily. Junta spokesman Col. Winthai Suvari was not available for comment on the ranking as of press time Thursday.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/04/27/thailand-press-freedom-falls-back-rsf-says/

https://rsf.org/en/thailand

https://rsf.org/en/ranking

Edited by mtls2005

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“Other countries have the same thing and they have problems with social media. We are adopting a principle that is acceptable to the international community,” he said

He must be referring to Turkey and Poland:tongue:

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

calling for mutual trust between the media and the government.

Thus causing the end of an independent and free media to fact-check the government and conduct investigative journalism. "Mutual trust" connates a symbiosis between the media and government. Rather there should be mutual trust between the media and the PUBLIC.

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Oh dear, no one said trumpism and the "spicer" approach to honesty and truth were contagious.  

First it as a "single gateway" for the internet Now rules governing the Media  The right to self expression is being taken away

This is how it all starts 

How many moves will it take before Thails realize what is going on