Thai driving standards: Will raising training from five hours to 15 make any difference?

rooster59

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/29/2017 at 1:28 PM, Dmaxdan said:

It isn't just about the training, it is also about the me, me and me attitude. Until that is all but eradicated, and people start driving within the letter of the law then nothing will change. 

Yep... a me me me society. As I see it there are no laws in Thailand only suggestions or way of the BIB to dole out "leniency" for a small gift of appreciation. lol lol So what will change? Until there is genuine rule of law - NOTHING will change.

On 4/29/2017 at 3:21 PM, Toscano said:

driving lessons in London with a very good British School Of Motoring instructor , mostly during the rush hour

Good point you are making.
Of the 15 hours of compulsory training, how many hours on the road instead of on the training circuit, (a place similar to the circuit where 10-12 year old kids get their safe cycling training) and thereof how many hours in a Citi with traffic worth mentioning, how many hours learning how to merge onto a highway and then safely drive between the lines.

Edited by KKr

The trainer handing out a License, without a third party, i.e the Government, checking that the student achieved the goals of the training as objectively defined,  reduces the value of the License so acquired to a complementary Diploma, and the activity of the training center becomes a sinecure.

The minimum timescale in the UK is generally 17, dependent on the instructors assessment of a learner's readiness, so complaining about 15, especially given the majority of Thais' proven driving ability based on 5, is a nonsense.

But equally nonsensical would be to have driving schools validating their own competence through responsibility for testing and licence issue.

On 4/29/2017 at 7:22 PM, Surasak said:

What you are saying is 17 or 18 hours minimum is sufficient. The same may apply to Thailand if those hours were spent on the road. Sitting in a class room watching videos and doing the theory is not driving instruction.

I have never heard of this "rule of thumb" I spent a full TWELVE MONTHS learning to drive then went in for the test and passed first tme

11 minutes ago, TomTao said:

Why raise it to Australian standard and make it 100 hours of learning and practice before a provisional license is earned.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

The only problem with the Australian scheme is the log book that is used to record the hours,  has to be filled out by the learner and whoever is teaching them, normally a relative who are often  quite open to telling fibs and falsifying the log book.  Works wonders, I don't think. :wai:

3 hours ago, garbolino said:

I have never heard of this "rule of thumb" I spent a full TWELVE MONTHS learning to drive then went in for the test and passed first tme

Gee ... I would have kept that quite ... 12 months learning to drive. I passed my test in the UK exactly six weeks after my seventeenth birthday .

The only problem with the Australian scheme is the log book that is used to record the hours,  has to be filled out by the learner and whoever is teaching them, normally a relative who are often  quite open to telling fibs and falsifying the log book.  Works wonders, I don't think. :wai:

The good thing about it is the practical test is done on the road and in traffic, not on a short course behind the licensing center.

19 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Maybe u can sign up as a volunteer traffic cop overhere.

No.

I have  no desire  to  do  what the  incumbent   authorities  should  be doing  to enhance  the  survival  chances  of anybody on  or  near the  roads  of  Thailand.

Besides  which  I  have  signed a  document as part of  my approval  to stay  and also hopefully  survive travel ( including that  to  be present  to  sign  such  documents) that excludes  me  from volunteering .

I will admit that on  occasion I am guilty  of defiance in the face of oncoming traffic  who expect  me  to  depart the highway. Or  leading  bumper  riders  into  corners and  enjoying  the  results via  the rear  vision  mirror.

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

No.

I have  no desire  to  do  what the  incumbent   authorities  should  be doing  to enhance  the  survival  chances  of anybody on  or  near the  roads  of  Thailand.

Besides  which  I  have  signed a  document as part of  my approval  to stay  and also hopefully  survive travel ( including that  to  be present  to  sign  such  documents) that excludes  me  from volunteering .

I will admit that on  occasion I am guilty  of defiance in the face of oncoming traffic  who expect  me  to  depart the highway. Or  leading  bumper  riders  into  corners and  enjoying  the  results via  the rear  vision  mirror.

Whats a bumper rider and how do you lead them into corners? 

1 minute ago, hobz said:

Whats a bumper rider and how do you lead them into corners? 

A  bumper  rider  is  my term  for  those  who  follow behind  at a  very  close distance as if  to  pressure me  to increase  speed. These are often the  same drivers  who  will travel well above the speed limit in a straight  line. However  when it comes to  corners  slow down  to a  snail crawl.

"Leading" them is  simply  enticing them  to  continue to  follow at close range.

Many  panic...and after stay at a reasonable  distance  or  pass  at  speed.

Either  way they cease  being a near hazard to  me.

2 hours ago, garbolino said:

you might have passed so quickly  I took my time to learn properly....and your FEMALE are you not??

Not exactly female, That pic is Mrs J.  Anyone who takes a year to learn must be very slow to pick up or just didn't have the advantage of been able to practice a lot. 

It was exactly six weeks after first being allowed a provisional licence. Have to admit that I got in a few hundred miles of driving with my father during those six weeks. Also had five lesson from a professional and then used his car for the test.  And of course I pestered my father to take me to the local disused airfield several times prior to being seventeen.

In those days it was a plus to take the test in a Driving school car.

You needed some professional lessons to ensure that you knew exactly what the driving examiner wanted to see. Some silly thing like when stopped at a road junction you had to put the handbrake on before selecting the first gear. And also you would drive around a few test routes so that you knew what was wanted.  It was not a good idea to 'heel and toe' in front of the examiner either. 

I remember that my first car was an ex Post Office van. At that time I was actually a member a Motor Club and did my first competitive event in it.  After that I went Mini, Mini Cooper and the Cooper 'S', mainly rallying in the Yorkshire Dales.

Almost straight after passing my test an older guy up the road asked me to sit with him, you could do it in those days (1962). He had failed his test three times. I was only too pleased for him to give me a pound each time. He passed next time. I remember been so surprised that initially he couldn't even turn the car around in the road correctly.

And Mrs J, when she came to the UK, she already had a Thai Licence studied the Highway Code for six solid weeks and then passed the test first time. 

I think that some people find driving very easy and others not so. Pretty obvious when you drive over here, and to be honest also in the UK....:smile:

2 hours ago, garbolino said:

you might have passed so quickly  I took my time to learn properly....and your FEMALE are you not??

12 months to pass your driving test that  is a Joke? my wife who is Thai only took 4 months and 28 lessons to pass, 

6 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

No.

Did u sign up for organ donorship yet?since u love speeding on your small bike maybe its something worth to consider!

10 hours ago, TomTao said:

The good thing about it is the practical test is done on the road and in traffic, not on a short course behind the licensing center.

Yes, agree and they are far more stringent and have no qualms in failing any one who does not meet the requirements.  They also grade your license as to the type of car you ate tested in.  I.E., if manual, you can only drive manual, auto, only. 

After red P's issued and before green P's issued must resit test and same to be able to drive either auto or manual, one must sit for the test again  auto and must resit test after graduating to green P's. So in four years, you get tested at least three times and no brown envelopes.  this would soon sort this lot out.:wai:

1 hour ago, Si Thea01 said:

Yes, agree and they are far more stringent and have no qualms in failing any one who does not meet the requirements.  They also grade your license as to the type of car you ate tested in.  I.E., if manual, you can only drive manual, auto, only. 

After red P's issued and before green P's issued must resit test and same to be able to drive either auto or manual, one must sit for the test again  auto and must resit test after graduating to green P's. So in four years, you get tested at least three times and no brown envelopes.  this would soon sort this lot out.:wai:

If you did that 90% of the police force would fail there driving tests Its the Attitude of the Thai drivers They know the rules i think but they just break them because they know who is going to book them NOBODY Example  I saw a police road patrol car sitting beside the road Guess what the copper in the car was doing? Playing on his mobile Phone  Meanwhile i saw in the traffic which he was suppose to be watching to see who breaks the rules 5 cars that actually broke the rules So you see its just a bloody waste of time

46 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

If you did that 90% of the police force would fail there driving tests Its the Attitude of the Thai drivers They know the rules i think but they just break them because they know who is going to book them NOBODY Example  I saw a police road patrol car sitting beside the road Guess what the copper in the car was doing? Playing on his mobile Phone  Meanwhile i saw in the traffic which he was suppose to be watching to see who breaks the rules 5 cars that actually broke the rules So you see its just a bloody waste of time

At the moment yes but it took a few decades back home to get some sensibility in the licensing system.  Could happen here but they first need intelligent people, with common sense, to set it up then implement it.  Maybe five decades but then I won't be around to see if it ever eventuates but one can only hope. :wai: 

At the so called Songkhran checkpoint, 2 police sat down, while motor cyclists go whizzing through. Not a crash helmet in sight.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

The problem is the police, get them mobile and off there backsides. Apply the law.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

Yes. But that will take investment in (many) patrol cars and appropriate police-style motorcycles. Plus top down, through all ranks, forcing the patrolling. Perhaps bulldozing all the corner police boxes ought to be done. And cease the roadblocks. Then increase the patrolmen wages substantially with simultaneous (real, sustained) crack down on cash payment on the spot fines. Then we'll have a Police Force.

28 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

At the moment yes but it took a few decades back home to get some sensibility in the licensing system.  Could happen here but they first need intelligent people, with common sense, to set it up then implement it.  Maybe five decades but then I won't be around to see if it ever eventuates but one can only hope. :wai: 

As i said I think most Thais know the road rules But they also know they can break them and nobody will book them or stop them. I think they have retrain their whole police force. Once you start enforcing the law on the roads they will stop breaking them because they be always looking out where the cops are

2 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

As i said I think most Thais know the road rules But they also know they can break them and nobody will book them or stop them. I think they have retrain their whole police force. Once you start enforcing the law on the roads they will stop breaking them because they be always looking out where the cops are

I understand and have read, twice, what you said but I have to disagree on a couple of aspects.  I am of the opinion from having numerous dealings with Thais and their driving that they may know some of the rules but not all.  Unfortunately, it's the same all over the world, not only here in Thailand.

Of course they break the rules and from experience (ex-Police) will continue to do so despite the law being enforced. As for retraining the whole Police Force, a bit over the top wouldn't you say, what does branches other than traffic have to do will enforcing road rules?  :wai:

12 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

I understand and have read, twice, what you said but I have to disagree on a couple of aspects.  I am of the opinion from having numerous dealings with Thais and their driving that they may know some of the rules but not all.  Unfortunately, it's the same all over the world, not only here in Thailand.

Of course they break the rules and from experience (ex-Police) will continue to do so despite the law being enforced. As for retraining the whole Police Force, a bit over the top wouldn't you say, what does branches other than traffic have to do will enforcing road rules?  :wai:

But when you see people on bikes cars sitting waiting for a red light and then all of sudden patience runs out and they just drive through it. I take it you are in Thailand so i will ask you You have seen Thais break the rules so many times and how many times have you seen the police pull them over and book them I have been here 2 years and i have  never seen a policeman actually pull over someone for driving through a red light and anything else they do like driving up the wrong side of the road. But you may be right they dont know the rules so why have they got a drivers license? Ok then the traffic branch needs retraining badly because i starting to think some of the cops dont even know the rules themselves

"Knowing the rules of the road is certainly important but how drivers applied them is equally important. If people carried on ignoring the rules any training would be pointless, he said."

There in lies the problem. The way Thais drive is dictated by their personality not their knowledge of rules and skills. They are impatient, somewhat aggressive and don't fear the (lack of) authority.

For example, they put up dozens of pedestrian lights in Pattaya years ago. EVERYONE knows what a red light means but no one stopped except me and a few other fools who were putting their lives in jeopardy by doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

When my wife passed her test I told her "Now I will teach you to drive". At first she wasn't happy as she believed she could drive as she had a license but later after I had shown her things she was not aware of she is now a very good safe driver. Now when I compliment her on her driving she tells me "you taught me".

Unlike most Thai driver she can park in a fixed space accurately and first time, every time. Something of a miracle for the usual Thai driver

25 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

When my wife passed her test I told her "Now I will teach you to drive". At first she wasn't happy as she believed she could drive as she had a license but later after I had shown her things she was not aware of she is now a very good safe driver. Now when I compliment her on her driving she tells me "you taught me".

Unlike most Thai driver she can park in a fixed space accurately and first time, every time. Something of a miracle for the usual Thai driver

If you watch Thai drivers how many have you noticed who can actually park a car properly