Can I log onto my Thai bank online banking abroad

ghworker2010

It might seem to be a stupid question that Im asking... but if Im abroad can I log onto my thai internet site and transfer funds to pay the rent?

Some companies do have anal retentive code in their systems to prevent this from happening believe it or not. For example the credit rating agency located in the nanny state where I'm from will come up with page not diplayed etc when I try to key in the url. If I immediately connect my VPN  and point to the nanny state the website works fine.

Presumably if I point my VPN to bangkok it should work 100% shouldn't it? I dont want to pay my landlords rent 2 weeks earlier than I have to.

cheers

If the payment is done to a predefined account and no OTP entry is necessary I assume their will be no problem.

For transactions needing OTP you would need to make sure that your Thai SIM stays alive and roams in your home network.

As far as I know there are new/other security mechanisms offered nowadays.

Depends on bank. I don't know details.

I have full access to my German accounts by using a "TAN" (OTP) generator in combination with a chip-card from the bank,

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

If the payment is done to a predefined account and no OTP entry is necessary I assume their will be no problem.

For transactions needing OTP you would need to make sure that your Thai SIM stays alive and roams in your home network.

I have full access to my German accounts by using a "TAN" (OTP) generator in combination with a chip-card from the bank,

Thats a valid point that I forgot about. My bank does ask for an OTP number. If I take my apple iphone to Indonesia I will have to ask my service provider if I can roam there.

thanks for the info.

I am now on a US (VPN) IP and logged in to Bangkok Bank, SCB and Kasikorn without a problem.

Would you tell what Thai bank it is?

I am certain to have seen new access methods (USB "dongle" or the like).

EDIT: might have been a hallucination.

Nothing found for my banks.

Only OTP.

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I use Kasikorn whilst overseas without any problem and no special vpn or other services needed.:smile:

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Have used both Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank from many locations around the world, only issue was needing to put my Thai sim card in the phone to get the OTP.

Are you both using a Windows/Apple computer to access your Kasikorn account or are you using the K-Mobile banking android app on your phone?

I ask because I know you can access the Kasikorn Internet Banking site and complete normal internet banking from anywhere in the world and, as Don Mega says, you only need to put your active Thai sim in a phone to get the required OTP.

But when using the APP on a mobile phone the security is different. Firstly, Kasikorn recognizes and registers the phone you logged in with and if you try to log in on a different phone/device Kasikorn will not let you log in. Also, you can only access a few banking options, such as seeing your balance, if you are using a WIFI connection, you can only complete 'normal/full' banking functions if you use an internet connection using your phone's SIM card. So I don't know  if there are any other restrictions that are applied when using the app from outside Thailand.

12 hours ago, sumrit said:

Are you both using a Windows/Apple computer to access your Kasikorn account or are you using the K-Mobile banking android app on your phone?

I ask because I know you can access the Kasikorn Internet Banking site and complete normal internet banking from anywhere in the world and, as Don Mega says, you only need to put your active Thai sim in a phone to get the required OTP.

But when using the APP on a mobile phone the security is different. Firstly, Kasikorn recognizes and registers the phone you logged in with and if you try to log in on a different phone/device Kasikorn will not let you log in. Also, you can only access a few banking options, such as seeing your balance, if you are using a WIFI connection, you can only complete 'normal/full' banking functions if you use an internet connection using your phone's SIM card. So I don't know  if there are any other restrictions that are applied when using the app from outside Thailand.

I only use my laptop, using a 3rd party app on my phone is way too risky.

With Bangkok Bank no problem and no OTP needed (only needed when you make a transfer a payment to a new account for the first time). But why not schedule a payment for a later date already now? Then you don't have to worry about internet connection and whatever.

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

True, but another bank I also use always needs an OTP if the funds are being transferred to any account which is not including your own personal name. When abroad a quick phone call back to the bank HO in Bkk (and I always seem to get connected to the right staff quickly) and all quickly approved. 

"For transactions needing OTP you would need to make sure that your Thai SIM stays alive and roams in your home network."

Not with Kasikorn you don't,  they have a work-around which they never tell you about, they call it PIN2, which is a PERMANENT second Pin that takes the place of OTP. When I got it, 14 years ago admittedly, I had to do the paperwork at my branch office to confirm ID and sign papers. 

With PIN2 installed you don't get the screen asking for OTP code, you get one asking for PIN2, which you input and the transaction proceeds. I have been using KBank internet banking for 16 years with no problems, as I only spend 5 months a year in LOS. I transfer funds to pay my rent,  and I am very pleased with their service. Their help line staff speak good english and were very patient when I first started. 

If there is any chance that you will need an OTP while you are out of the country most mobile vendors will include "international" roaming for a small fee on an annual basis.  

As I remember it, DTAC only charges 12 THB,  and since SMS messages are free to send, Thai banks have no problem sending them to you so long as you have roaming.  Just don't make the mistake and use your voice roaming while overseas since you are charged for voice calls 

33 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

Not with Kasikorn you don't,  they have a work-around which they never tell you about, they call it PIN2, which is a PERMANENT second Pin that takes the place of OTP.

That's interesting!

I knew that I had seen remarks about PIN2 years ago but searched yesterday to no avail.

One should know that this PIN2 has to be VERY well hidden and used with extreme care only on your own computer(s).

It's a master key to your account.

I think they don't advertise (for use in Thailand) because it's much less secure than OTP.

I use kasikorn and bangkok bank from India for transfers bangkok bank works fine from the app and website for pre setup transfer accounts and as long as your Thai number roams you can set up new accounts kbank I only use the app and you can use the app for for balance top up mobile etc but for transfers you need to be connected by 3g/4g data from the number you are registered with the bank with which can get expensive on mobile data! Bangkok bank is definitely best if you need to use abroad

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

you know the due dates for your rent, you know the amount...why not advise your bank now already with pre-defined transactions while you're still in Th. = easiest way and no worries anymore

4 hours ago, Naroge said:

With Bangkok Bank no problem and no OTP needed (only needed when you make a transfer a payment to a new account for the first time). But why not schedule a payment for a later date already now? Then you don't have to worry about internet connection and whatever.

Perfect solution, Naroge! ? Well done!

3 hours ago, biggles45 said:

Not with Kasikorn you don't,  they have a work-around which they never tell you about, they call it PIN2, which is a PERMANENT second Pin that takes the place of OTP. When I got it, 14 years ago admittedly, I had to do the paperwork at my branch office to confirm ID and sign papers. 

With PIN2 installed you don't get the screen asking for OTP code, you get one asking for PIN2, which you input and the transaction proceeds. I have been using KBank internet banking for 16 years with no problems, as I only spend 5 months a year in LOS. I transfer funds to pay my rent,  and I am very pleased with their service. Their help line staff speak good english and were very patient when I first started. 

Strewth, that really is a dumb feature, useful, but dumb. I use K-Bank and the idea that there is a backdoor option to my account is not a comforting thought. They are very well advised not to advertise that feature, and I really do hope they police its enabling very thoroughly. 

Two other alternatives for you to consider.

1. Set up your rental payments in advance, before you depart on your trip. (They can be post dated)

2. If you prefer not to, then ask your bank to switch sending the OTP by email. I't's an option that is available with Krungsri, but I can't speak for others Banks.

Edited by Moonlover

On 5/1/2017 at 0:58 PM, Stocky said:

Strewth, that really is a dumb feature, useful, but dumb. I use K-Bank and the idea that there is a backdoor option to my account is not a comforting thought. They are very well advised not to advertise that feature, and I really do hope they police its enabling very thoroughly. 

No its not. A couple of years ago HSBC introduced a secondary access method for their online banking using a password. It was a god send when the battery went on my login device. The OTP system is very good but subject to a working phone.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

No its not. A couple of years ago HSBC introduced a secondary access method for their online banking using a password. It was a god send when the battery went on my login device. The OTP system is very good but subject to a working phone.

I didn't say it wasn't useful, but that it's a dumb addition in terms of added security risk.

Edited by Stocky