Pheu Thai opens fire at submarine deal

webfact

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

The RTN has already built a massive sub facility at Sattahip, including a simulator, at great cost in hopes of getting a sub. It opened to great fanfare in July, 2014.

A new headquarters, training center including German Sub simulator costing cost 540 million baht (£9.8 million).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/07/thailand-new-naval-base-submarines

In 2011, Thailand negotiated to buy six small used submarines from Germany for 7.7 billion baht (£139 million), but let the deal expire.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/980999-pheu-thai-opens-fire-at-submarine-deal/?page=5#comment-11848345

The Royal Thai Navy has contracted German defense contractor Rheinmetall for the delivery of an additional training simulator.

Under the contract, Rheinmetall’s Simulation and Training unit will supply Thailand with a turnkey system known as the Naval Warfare Training Simulator (NWTS). The order includes construction of a new building, including infrastructure.

http://navaltoday.com/2017/04/10/royal-thai-navy-contracts-rheinmetall-for-training-simulator-delivery/

Build a sub base and subs will come.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Anon999 said:

In the area of Isaan that I live there has been considerable infrastructure work as opposed to very little in the previous 10 years.

Hmm, a qualified yes, although I am sceptical as to the extent to which this is  the governments policy...

Apropos of this, I have recently been driving regularly between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai (mother in law undergoing treatment in Chiang Mai University Hospita). I have noticed several new road lighting installations en route. Inexplicably, the road is brightly illuminated for several hundred meters, and then plunged into darkness. At virtually all  of these locations the road is straight and level with no obvious dangers. In a couple of cases the road has steep gradients and sharp corners, even unlit junctions, immediately before or after the illuminated stretch. Wondering about this I then realised that the lit stretches of road were adjacent to government offices, principally the highways department depots.. A metaphor for what drives a lot of government spending? Perhaps a metaphor that could be extended to the submarine purchase - of no real practical use, but makes the bosses look good and feel good....

Edited by JAG

A new headquarters, training center including German Sub simulator costing cost 540 million baht (£9.8 million).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/07/thailand-new-naval-base-submarines

In 2011, Thailand negotiated to buy six small used submarines from Germany for 7.7 billion baht (£139 million), but let the deal expire.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/980999-pheu-thai-opens-fire-at-submarine-deal/?page=5#comment-11848345

Snip...

Build a sub base and subs will come.

And sit undetected off the entrance to the Gulf, and hit it with cruise missiles...

Undetected because Thailand will have spent all its resources on Submarines to awe its neighbours, at the expense of anti submarine capability.

3 hours ago, JAG said:

And sit undetected off the entrance to the Gulf, and hit it with cruise missiles...

Undetected because Thailand will have spent all its resources on Submarines to awe its neighbours, at the expense of anti submarine capability.

Out of all the schemes Thailand comes up with this is the most ridiculous idea the have  had. The costs are ridiculous and can you imagine the costs for supporting this White Elephant .

Better they spend it on infrastructure to grow the economy Or work to develope a Hi tech industry  of some sort But to blow this money on a war time machine that clearly is not necessary is only in the mind of a military  leader .

Edited by realenglish1

2 hours ago, yardrunner said:

no it is one of the earlier models with oars down the side

I didn't think of that. 555

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Spelling correction

On 5/1/2017 at 9:46 AM, williamgeorgeallen said:

dont think this is really justification for thailand spending this money.  i dont see any benefit to thailand buying these subs. thailand is not under any threat and the money, where ever it came from should be better spent on helping the people, or not borrowed in the first place. wonder how the general thinks it will help the economy. it is not just purchasing them but the ongoing cost as well which will probably end up with them being mothballed like the aircraft carrier.

Can you get double indemnity insurance for a submarine and crew though?