Online wildlife trader arrested in Samut Prakan

webfact

Online wildlife trader arrested in Samut Prakan

SAMUT PRAKAN, 1 May 2017 (NNT) – An online wildlife trader has been arrested while the disputed items were seized by authorities, says an official. 

The Department of National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation's (DNP) Natural Resources Coordination Department chief Titikorn Kittinan has revealed that officials had arrested a suspect who was allegedly an online eagle trader operating on various websites including www.thaipetonline.com, www.talung.gimyong.com, www.truck2hand.com. 

The 29-year-old suspect Teerapong Bamrungchat was arrested after officials confirmed his involvement from a deceiving purchase order. Nine eagles have been seized along with other items in dispute from the arrest at Phra Samut Chedi district in Samut Prakan province. The suspect will be subject to due process prosecuted according to the law. 

The DNP is running operations to inspect wildlife related crimes on electronic media, and is working to raise the awareness and create a network of cooperation to put the end to the illegal wildlife trade. The general public can report any suspicious activity to the 1362 24-hour hotline, or on www.dnp.go.th.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-01

My son is a vet med student at a Thai university and is appalled by the number of endangered species that can be purchased online. Slow Loris for example is a popular animal sold online because they are easy to catch in the wild. This person who sells online apparently also breeds them in captivity. How come the authorities have not cracked down on that?  Oh!  Sorry. Shouldn't have asked.

36 minutes ago, abab said:

Nobody buy them to kill them so I find these law pretending to protect wildlife just as stupid as people who vote them.

I remember the time years ago in the 1970s that you could buy almost any Thai creature in the old Chatuchak market near the Royal Palace grounds.I bought two fishing tigers (like miniature leopards) there and the origional owner of the Safari Bar on Pat Pong bought his two tigers there.I gave mine to the zoo as they were growing to much to handle later on.

54 minutes ago, abab said:

Nobody buy them to kill them so I find these law pretending to protect wildlife just as stupid as people who vote them.

So, in your opinion, as long as these wild animals are not killed, everything is fine. You can put them in cages, sell them, export them and do whatever you want with them. Protecting wildlife is just stupid, right? 

You must be a wildlife trader yourself, I guess.