What Is Your Visa Status?

What is your response to the visa laws?  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I agree Tropo - most people reading this board wants to know and understand the rules - and abide by them(mostly). I have met many people who are oblivious to the rules (be it old or new rules) and are in for a bad surprise at their next visa run. CHeers!

Agree. Some Filipinos who I talked to don't even seem to WANT to know the new rules. Even worse, they wait for some "favorable" rumor to come around (such as that the new rules "won't push thru") and then use that favorable rumor to give themselves "peace of mind" to continue on with what they're doing.

Similar to the "being in denial" thing. Sad.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got 90 more days yesterday (last on current visa) so I'll

see how the situation pans out between now and March and

then prob'ly go camp out in Cambodia for 3 months.

PS What , pray , is the difference between "No change (already

illegal-overstay)" and "Permanent overstay". Just the level

of optimism ?

According to the poll results so far, it looks like 2/3rd are not affected.

Why do people that are unaffected by the new visa regulations read this board, let alone vote here?

I would hazard a guess and say that the largest percentage of regular posters here are long term residents and only a small percentage are visa runners.

The results from this poll couldn't even come close to indicating the real situation.

I phrased the question so as to include them - at least I tried to. A lot of visa runners are in fact (semi)permanent residents - even if unofficially. I would suspecct the largest group you are not hearing from in the polls is the group that has already left. I wouldn't be back now, except I am curious to see how things are turning out because I'm married with children now.

I suspect you are right as well... from personal experience most farang are visa running. Good point as well, in that most of the people who look in this section in particular are asking about the non-imm visas, and as such the surery would be weighted heavily toward them. I wonder if I were to make another thread in teh general catagory if it would have a different result? That would be weighted toward the non-imm holding group as well, but less so, I expect. Can't tell, really.

I never figured this to be a scientific survey anyway, though - just a ballpark figure.

PS What , pray , is the difference between "No change (already

illegal-overstay)" and "Permanent overstay". Just the level

of optimism ?

One is you were overstaying before the new rules, and the other is you re oversttaying because in response to the new rules. Trying to guage people's reactions.

Agree. Some Filipinos who I talked to don't even seem to WANT to know the new rules. Even worse, they wait for some "favorable" rumor to come around (such as that the new rules "won't push thru") and then use that favorable rumor to give themselves "peace of mind" to continue on with what they're doing.

Similar to the "being in denial" thing. Sad.

Of course, it could be a more accurate reading of the situition .... we don't know yet!

Poll is non-scientific. Don't read too much into it...

right you are. but i am really concerned and worried about the new visa regulations as much as i worry about those two bags of rice which toppled over in a warehouse located in Northern Manchuria.

:o

No two ways about it.

All the new "B" visas and many of the newly issues "O" visas are going to increase Tax revenue. Certainly more beneficial to the country than having them running bars etc and not contributing to the economy.

Its been an eye opener this past three months, watching hundreds of bar owners crap themselves and try and get a real visa. All that sitting in the bar pretending to be a customer and bragging about how clever they were to be running the bar and not paying tax was what this was all about.

Poll is non-scientific. Don't read too much into it...

right you are. but i am really concerned and worried about the new visa regulations as much as i worry about those two bags of rice which toppled over in a warehouse located in Northern Manchuria.

:o

I think the English expression is "I'm all right Jack".

No problem , glad you are.

:D :D :D

All the new "B" visas and many of the newly issues "O" visas are going to increase Tax revenue. Certainly more beneficial to the country than having them running bars etc and not contributing to the economy.

Actually, those bar owners aer contributing to the economy and increasing tax revenue no matter if they aer actually paying tax themselves or not. They buy beer frmo Singh, which pys tax, they pay rent, which pays tax, they buy stuff @ 7-11, which pays tax, nd they buy food from the Som Tham lady, who may not pay tax, but SHE pys rent, buys stuff @ 7-11, etc etc.

Of course, tax income is greater if the bar owners pay tax, and I am a proponent of getting everyone to pay their fair share. Just pointing out that what you said wasn't strictly true, and it is good to keep in mind the reality of the situation when considering policy.

Doing this just because they fit a sense of morality ends up with policy's like Mugabe's returning all farmlnds to native (black) Nigerians - it turned Nigeria from Africa's biggest food exporter to africa's biggest food importer by giving all the farms to people who knew nothing about farming.

The idea itself, by itself, is morally sound, but its unintended consequences - well, weren't so productive

Edited by drummer

Doing this just because they fit a sense of morality ends up with policy's like Mugabe's returning all farmlnds to native (black) Nigerians - it turned Nigeria from Africa's biggest food exporter to africa's biggest food importer by giving all the farms to people who knew nothing about farming.

Zimbabwe, perchance?

Scouse.

I was on a multi-entry non imm "o" issued in Hull, UK on the basis of "visiting friend". Decided that this option might disappear in the future so went for a oneyear extention on the basis of investment - 3 million baht in fixed deposits

I was on a multi-entry non imm "o" issued in Hull, UK on the basis of "visiting friend". Decided that this option might disappear in the future so went for a oneyear extention on the basis of investment - 3 million baht in fixed deposits

As far as I know that solution is no longer an option.

As far as I know that solution is no longer an option.

Correct. :o

I will believe its the end when I see A couple hundred expats setting up camp in Laos as refugees. This is just the annual Christmas Visa Suprise that gets handed out every year. If anything happens it will be A selective crackdown on Indians and Africans because certain people have never wanted them here.

Personally I could use the 3 or 6 month break from this place and its the perfect excuse to give to my wife and inlaws when I call with the bad news that Im detained at the border, The only real question I have is how do you say Mia Noi in Vietnamese?

It might not be a reliable poll to represent the whole slew of farangs in LOS,

but it actually is RELIABLE, I think, in representing the active members of Thaivisa.

However, to represent the whole slew of Farangs, active Thaivisa members might not be a good poll "sample" because I would guess that active Thaivisa members are much more well informed than the general farang population regarding visa matters.

In order to help get a better picture, we should take a tally of how many of the farangs/non-thais we know (who are/not active thaivisa members) are either leaving or staying.

We can answer that in the other Post "Has the Exodus Really Begun?"

But continue to also vote in this particular post so we also know a good figure representing active thaivisa members.

Cheers

No - it isn't scientific, neither are the numbers I was crunching earlier - just the best picture I can get without leaving my computer chair :o The results would certainly be limited to active TV posters who visit the Visa Information section... and often. The percentage results after the first day (almost 100 votes) is very similar to the current results (160 votes)

In order to help get a better picture, we should take a tally of how many of the farangs/non-thais we know (who are/not active thaivisa members) are either leaving or staying.
I figure that is far less accurate. People's perceptions color what they see, hear and remember to an astounding degree. That would essentially be a "What do you think is going to happen" poll.

You could phrase it like

*I personally have already left/am about to leave

*Everyone I know is still here

*I know 1 person who has left/about to leave

*I know 2 people who have left/about to leave

*I know 3 people who have left/about to leave

*I know more than three people who have left.

Except, mybe phrase it more so it would be clear that the respondant knows the person, well, personally, not simply a friend-of-a-friend kinda thing.

Incidentally, to that end, one in 20 seem to have already left or are in the process of it.

the other thing to note is that some respondents may not be affected because they do not live here.some may be here for short periods each year and can happily carry on border hopping or using multi entry tourist visas to give them the required time in the kingdom.

sdo you mean the initial poll or are you responding to the previous message? If it is the initial poll, the first choice is "Not affected".... But you do bring up a point. This should be people in Thailand now. hmmmm

i was refering to the initial poll.i think the thai visa membership includes many who would be short term residents - long term tourists.the membership is very diverse i would guess.myself i am here 8 months a year for example,going overseas to work twice for 2 month spells.if i was only here 6 months i would be unnafected.

Yes, I'm one of the unlucky ones, being married and under 50 y/o. It may be that the immigration are culling out criminals, illegal workers, tax evaders, and the like but being legal can also be affected by the new laws. Now I face uncertainty, since I know that if I lose my job I can be denied of my Non-O visa. Thus, will not be able to stay with my Thai family.

Yes, I'm one of the unlucky ones, being married and under 50 y/o. It may be that the immigration are culling out criminals, illegal workers, tax evaders, and the like but being legal can also be affected by the new laws. Now I face uncertainty, since I know that if I lose my job I can be denied of my Non-O visa. Thus, will not be able to stay with my Thai family.

No you won't, at very worst you can get a Non Immigrant Multiple Entry Type O visa from your home country and live with your wife in Thailand. The only catch is that you must make a border run every 90 days. With this type of visa you do a run on the day before it expires and you get a further 3 Months Thus making a 15 Month visa. It is inconvenient but you won't be separated from your wife for more than the 8 hour visa run, cheers.

I'd be interested to know how many that can stay, want to stay considering the pervading xenophobic atmosphere. And the apparent overvaluing of the locals of their amazing country.

I for one am getting tired of the message. Not pleasant living in a country where you are constantly reminded that you are persona non grata, and the only interest shown is as to how best to relieve you of your cash.

There are other options. Some much much easier. I may even have to stop begging to stay.

Edited by OlRedEyes

there are 2 asian countries i would much rather live in ,and 2 or 3 more that i wouldnt mind living in. however,in my current situation(baby on the way)it would be very difficult to uproot myself now.i always thought living in thailand was the easy option(tourist visas and voa, 8 months per year) and very easy to travel throughout asia with this as my home base,but that was obviously a mistake.

I agree that a poll on the TV forum probably isn't a clear cross section of most people living & staying here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais". This forum, for the most part, seems to have better read, better informed, albeit a somewhat paranoid slant to some of the posts. That being said, it is as good as it gets for any for information about the nonsensical (thai way) of doing things in the "Land 'O Thais".

I will state; I'm unaffected by the visa changes, (on my third non-o visa). I am somewhat sympathetic to those who are affected, but. .. Well,,, it IS the thai people’s country. If they choose to enforce what has been a previously exploited (and totally condoned exploitation by the powers that be) 'loophole' in their system, I guess they can. At least they DID give us some warning, did provide us dubious, contradictory information, do enforce it with typical thai (Borg) mentality. "Resistance is futile, you will never be assimilated. We are thai." It may be, as are most things in this xenophobic to the extreme, oh-so racist, “developing” third world country, a pathetic knee-jerk reaction to events that thrust the glorious "Land 'O Thais" onto the world stage and into the spotlight in a bad way, but it is said & done....for now.

Getting a non-o visa in the US, UK or AU is far from difficult nor is it fraught with peril. Consulates in those countries use a, how shall we say this tactfully; "less than careful" vetting process in the issuing of visas. I know the rumor is these countries will change their ways, but so far it is just that, a rumor. Not one consulate I spoke to (3 in as many countries, as recently as last week) said they had any information from the CNS about changes in their visa issuing process. It seems they are autonomously run entities in their interpretation of the rules. Also I might add dear readers, a visa issued by any thai consulate be it by your home country or not is honored here w/out question upon entry in the glorious "Land 'O Thais", (or has been for me & many people I know).

That said a non-o visa IS more costly than doing endless 30 day border runs, as it usually entails a visit back to your country of origin if your qualifications are not quite up to the letter of the law as interpreted by Thai Consulates/Embassies in neighboring S/E Asian countries. It does however provide 90 trouble free days (as trouble free as any days spent inside the Kingdom can be) and a total of 15 months allowable stay if you hit the border just before it expires.

In other news…

Living between Soi Nana & Soi Cowboy as I do; I am in an interesting location to gauge the mood of the sex-pats/sex tourists. In a completely unofficial and totally skewed poll I took; not one single person was worried, nor affected by the changes. The ones that make the glorious "Land 'O Thais" their home have non-b or non-o long stay visas, the ones who stay longer than 30 days get tourist visas. In fact I couldn't find even one person who was worried, or the least bit concerned with any changes in the interpretation/enforcement of visa laws. Issan is in no danger of needing government intervention at any time soon as the billions of baht money train seems to be still on its tracks. This should be a great comfort to the CNS and any financial budget constraints for a needed N/E Thailand bail out.

Again, in looking at the poll results, which are nearly as skewed as the poll I took, it appears the 'weeding out' of perpetual tourists is having the desired effect. Get legal (more legal than you were) or leave the glorious "Land 'O Thais", seems to be the thai (Borg) collective's consensus at this time.

ท้อด แดเนียลส์: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Tod Daniels; Krung Thep Mahanakhon

It seems they are autonomously run entities in their interpretation of the rules.

One thing I noticed in September is that the new regs say that each visa issue point will be subject to annual review in their practices by central Imm. If they want to change things up, they are putting all the pieces in place to really do so. Starting with the increase in overstay fines a few months before the new regs got announced.

Nobpdy is going to get worried unless they start really getting serious. In my own experience, sexpats are more dedicated to Thailand than anoyone else... even married people with kids. Guys can take their wives to their home country, but they can't take Soi Cowboy with them....

no sexpats are not more dedicated to Thailand than anyone else. Sexpats have a lot of cash generally and can shuttle around between PI, Bodia, Brazil or wherever if need be. It is precisely the married guy with the kids who burned his bridges in his home country and is now priced way way out of going back. The guy living in the $100 a month house in Khon Kaen who is completely dependent upon living in Thailand. He could never pack his bags and go anywhere. He lives on his $300 monthly budget and is mired where he is. The Soi cowboy guy doesn't give a rat's ass. He's got a wad of cash and can do whatever he wants. Let's make this perfectly clear. I know which guy I'd rather be

Well, I admit I've never met a lot of expats living in the sticks, so my obserations are laregly based on BKKers + Southerners. I can certainly see your point. Now that you mention it, I do know some people who literally can't go back home to their home country (exiles) and the new laws are really making them feel truly bad. (married with kids on the way, 15 year residents)

So I yield that last post. Good point.

However, it is not my experience that sexpats couldn't give a rat's ass... a lot of them are devoted to Thailand because they like the lifestyle. Many even take a massive pay cut to stay in LOS. I know several parents with Thai wives th have relocated back home. It is, among other things, a strong impulse in me on its own, now that I'm a father. Nothing against Thailand at all, but I wanted to go back home for a while. The uncertainty of the new visa laws and their xenophobic nature were a major motivator to go home. Just speaking for myself here.