What Is Your Visa Status?

What is your response to the visa laws?  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have to say I am happy to see the rules apply to every one for a change, get legal or leave. If you can't get legal there is a good reason for it.

I think you are in for a sad surprise... Thai style is to apply the rules according to the spirit o the law, not the letter. Enforcement is always going to be spotty for this reason. In addition, there will be folks who have the influence to get around it easily enough for various reasons.

Reoprts coming already show some people getting renewed visas and others told to leave.

Edited by drummer

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'm one of the unlucky ones, being married and under 50 y/o. It may be that the immigration are culling out criminals, illegal workers, tax evaders, and the like but being legal can also be affected by the new laws. Now I face uncertainty, since I know that if I lose my job I can be denied of my Non-O visa. Thus, will not be able to stay with my Thai family.

No you won't, at very worst you can get a Non Immigrant Multiple Entry Type O visa from your home country and live with your wife in Thailand. The only catch is that you must make a border run every 90 days. With this type of visa you do a run on the day before it expires and you get a further 3 Months Thus making a 15 Month visa. It is inconvenient but you won't be separated from your wife for more than the 8 hour visa run, cheers.

Im married to a thai, does this mean that I can get a 1 year O, without proving a 40K THB monthly icome

Well, I'm sorry to say that but a lot of you guys on this forum don't seem to really understand what these new laws mean for the average Joe on VOAs.

Obviously, those of you who aren't worried or think these new regulations are a good way to kick out "perpetual tourists" are either married, retired, or have a good job here in Thailand. Nothing wrong with that, but it means you probably have some money, or at least, you do have the money to stay, so you are (more-or-less) welcome to stay.

Now some exemples that might make you think the whole thing over again :

- What were VOAs residents doing wrong. Most of them were supporting themselves as english teachers, which does serve Thailand since most Thais speak horrible english and want to learn it. Now, I know some friends who didn't have a degree back home, so they took the TEFL course here (about 40 000 bahts) so they could work as teachers, but now have to go back home for their schools WON'T give them a work permit BECAUSE they didn't have a degree. Great. Some of these friends sold everything they had back home to pay the ticket to come enjoy a new live and a new job in Thailand, and I think we agree that earning 25 000 bahts/month is no way to save money for back home...?

- I was on VOAs for one year and never did't work a single day in Thailand in that period... I was just a bloody tourist who DID have the money and motivation (had a thai boyfriend...:D) to stay longer... so what...!?

- Now I invested about 180 000 bahts with my (thai) husband to open a buisness here (which is a LOT of money for me, at 22 y-o and no financial stability whatsoever...!!) and I am married, so okay I can stay but I can't tell how happy I am that Thailand is a such a sexist country so that farang wives don't have to show any income of money to get the non-o extension (well I hope so, I'm gonna try it next week) because we don't have 40 000 bahts/month, and actually we've been living pretty good on about 10-15 000 for the last 6 months.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Thailand and some days I hate it as well, and I just don't understand the point of this new law. Undesirable farangs will go, sure, but so many genuine good people with them. But I do wish to stay, and since I've got a new-born business (opened 2 months ago) I want to take care of it with my husband. And I've seen a lot of trouble and worries around me, I guess I'm gonna find a way for myself to stay but I'm sad I have to say goodbye to some really good friends that have to go against their will.

My two s'tangs.

:o

Yes, I'm one of the unlucky ones, being married and under 50 y/o. It may be that the immigration are culling out criminals, illegal workers, tax evaders, and the like but being legal can also be affected by the new laws. Now I face uncertainty, since I know that if I lose my job I can be denied of my Non-O visa. Thus, will not be able to stay with my Thai family.

No you won't, at very worst you can get a Non Immigrant Multiple Entry Type O visa from your home country and live with your wife in Thailand. The only catch is that you must make a border run every 90 days. With this type of visa you do a run on the day before it expires and you get a further 3 Months Thus making a 15 Month visa. It is inconvenient but you won't be separated from your wife for more than the 8 hour visa run, cheers.

Im married to a thai, does this mean that I can get a 1 year O, without proving a 40K THB monthly icome

A visa does not require income or bank account information. But there are few Consulates that issue the one year multi entry type anymore.

Well, I'm sorry to say that but a lot of you guys on this forum don't seem to really understand what these new laws mean for the average Joe on VOAs.

Obviously, those of you who aren't worried or think these new regulations are a good way to kick out "perpetual tourists" are either married, retired, or have a good job here in Thailand. Nothing wrong with that, but it means you probably have some money, or at least, you do have the money to stay, so you are (more-or-less) welcome to stay.

Now some exemples that might make you think the whole thing over again :

- What were VOAs residents doing wrong. Most of them were supporting themselves as english teachers, which does serve Thailand since most Thais speak horrible english and want to learn it. Now, I know some friends who didn't have a degree back home, so they took the TEFL course here (about 40 000 bahts) so they could work as teachers, but now have to go back home for their schools WON'T give them a work permit BECAUSE they didn't have a degree. Great. Some of these friends sold everything they had back home to pay the ticket to come enjoy a new live and a new job in Thailand, and I think we agree that earning 25 000 bahts/month is no way to save money for back home...?

- I was on VOAs for one year and never did't work a single day in Thailand in that period... I was just a bloody tourist who DID have the money and motivation (had a thai boyfriend...:D) to stay longer... so what...!?

- Now I invested about 180 000 bahts with my (thai) husband to open a buisness here (which is a LOT of money for me, at 22 y-o and no financial stability whatsoever...!!) and I am married, so okay I can stay but I can't tell how happy I am that Thailand is a such a sexist country so that farang wives don't have to show any income of money to get the non-o extension (well I hope so, I'm gonna try it next week) because we don't have 40 000 bahts/month, and actually we've been living pretty good on about 10-15 000 for the last 6 months.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Thailand and some days I hate it as well, and I just don't understand the point of this new law. Undesirable farangs will go, sure, but so many genuine good people with them. But I do wish to stay, and since I've got a new-born business (opened 2 months ago) I want to take care of it with my husband. And I've seen a lot of trouble and worries around me, I guess I'm gonna find a way for myself to stay but I'm sad I have to say goodbye to some really good friends that have to go against their will.

My two s'tangs.

:o

Although I agree with your side of the story, the fact remains that in Thailand it is the Thai authiorities making the rules. I f all 'good folks' around the world were to be free to roam and abode as they please it would be a fantastic place to live but compared to many countries, Thailand is pretty easy on immigration rules.