BOI to find out why investment growth is slow

webfact

BOI to find out why investment growth is slow

PNSOC600501001001801.jpg

BANGKOK, 1 May 2017 (NNT) - The Ministry of Finance has instructed the Board of Investment (BOI) to find out why investment growth had been slow. 

After attending a meeting on national economy a
nd investment, Finance Minister Apisak Tantivorawong revealed that he told the BOI to investigate why domestic investment during the first three months of this year contracted from last year. The investment regulator is also expected to determine if the foreign investment climate in other nations is more competitive. 

Around 61 billion baht's worth of investment was recorded from January to March this year, down from 75 billion baht during the same period last year. 

Regarding investment in basic infrastructure development, Apisak disclosed that up to 170 billion baht is expected to be allocated within fiscal year 2017 to mobilize seven projects. The minister was also briefed on the implementation of assistance measures for low-income earners and small and medium enterprises. 

Meanwhile, Director of the Public Debt Management Office Suwit Rojanavanij said a proposal to extend free bus and train services will be submitted to the Cabinet for consideration next week, until social welfare cards for low-income earners can be issued in October.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-01

Why investment growth is slow? Is this guy slow in reading investors sentiments even after 3 years in office? Political uncertainty is the big one and the reneging on promises of election. Investors will hesitate without a stable elected government. Our competitive and corruption index have worsened and we have been out of investors radar since the coup. 

A drop from 75 billion baht to 61 is quite a drop. This comment seems rather out of context when reading all the glowing "investment" reports in Thailand and the strength of the baht and the SET. Something smells might there be a corpse in the closet perchance??

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Apisak disclosed that up to 170 billion baht is expected to be allocated within fiscal year 2017 to mobilize seven projects.

Hope they are worthy projects but looking around the world most monies are going towards war. 

When sovereign risk is shaky , you don't touch it with a barge poll, besides the people running the country now who will be the leader in 5 years time and what sort of a leader will they be , not like  political parties there's always contenders or pretenders in the mix form at least a decade out..................................:coffee1:

There is only one calculation about risings or droppings in percentage. ((B - A)/B)*100%

Here in Thailand they have found another calculation, because it will give a better result !!!

((B - A)/A)*100% is the Thai way !!! This will show a higher rise and a lower loss. Only to attrack (foreing) investors !!!

Even the chartered accountants in Thailand are making this mistake !!! But it looks good.

So the loss was ((75-61)/61)*100% = 22.95%

And not 18.67% as they're calculating in Thailand !!! (Investments down 18% in a previous post) It's more than a 4% difference.

As far as I am concerned, I am ready to invest but only when I will be able to be the sole shareholder of my business. No instead, because going through the FBA is a lengthy process, lawyers suggest you set up a company with Thai shareholders (that you will never meet), leaving you being the minority shareholder. Even better if you start the business with 3 Thai shareholders and you not being one of them at the beginning... Really? Can't we have investing and starting a business clearer and simpler.

Let foreigners start their business as they wish and employ 4 Thai people to get a work permit; thus creating jobs.

Investigate!?

Less confidence in a none democratic country maybe one of many reasons why investment growth is slow?

I've many business associates that have turned their backs on investing in Thailand. They find doing business with Thai business persons very time consuming, with too much emphasis on the usual expectations of wanting everything for nothing and come across as being untrustworthy.

One friend told me, "they smile at your face, but behind your back, they plant the knife".

Reminds me of the report, not so long ago, when Volvo, had enough of the BS and eventually told Thai business persons to forget the deal and that they, Volvo, did not want their business any longer.

555! Som nom nah!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Friend of ours in Chanburi has been trying to sell some land for industrial development these last three years. Tentative enquiries from buyers in Malaysia, Singapore and Japan have all fallen through with the reason that they'll wait until the political situation improves.

I hope that the rich and powerful elites backing the military reached the realization that addiction to coups to solve political problems is destructive to the wealth and progress of the country and hurts them too. Indonesia and Philippines who were coup prone countries in the past have successful economy with political stability. The people in Malaysia and Singapore are solidly against military seizing power even though they have political issues. Here in Thailand we have a few right leaning self proclaimed educated urbanites that are holding back the country progress by advocating coups. 

I own a company here and it is a miserable place to try and build a business, especially or a foreigner.

Compare how you get a work permit at BOI compare to Chaengwattana for example, BOI is a breeze and the other one is a nightmare.

They deliberately make you wait all day in the hopes you will pay 20,000 baht to fast track.

If you are paying taxes why do you need to do a 90 day check in?

Why do you have to leave the country to get a Non B?

If you want to know why businessmen don't want to invest here then ask them, and listen to what they tell you.

Try looking at your neighbors that are much more open to foreign investment, SOLE OWNERSHIP for foreigners!!! etc etc etc

Why is investment growth Slow Maybe it has something to do with not having elections and the Junta wheeling absolute power here in Thailand 

It  will not change until the investment community sees  real elections 

It really is that simple my friends 

6 hours ago, CafeBakery said:

As far as I am concerned, I am ready to invest but only when I will be able to be the sole shareholder of my business. No instead, because going through the FBA is a lengthy process, lawyers suggest you set up a company with Thai shareholders (that you will never meet), leaving you being the minority shareholder. Even better if you start the business with 3 Thai shareholders and you not being one of them at the beginning... Really? Can't we have investing and starting a business clearer and simpler.

Let foreigners start their business as they wish and employ 4 Thai people to get a work permit; thus creating jobs.

Americans are allowed to own 100% of a business here in Thailand Its is called Amity 

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The Ministry of Finance has instructed the Board of Investment (BOI) to find out why investment growth had been slow. 

I offer some answers (apart from those already mentioned by TVers) - flee of charge:

• Reduced and/or loss of foreign and domestic investment leaving only government investments in national infrastructure projects and tourism to lead GDP growth.   
  • Sustained higher value of baht against the USD
  • Limited or no improvement in agricultural prices.
  • Increasing  household debt
  • Increasing inflation
  • Increasing unemployment
  • Higher trade deficit
  • Stagnant labor wages
  • Falling treasury reserves
  • Uncertainty from Trump foreign trade policies
  • Worldwide economic slowdown
  • Thai banks tightening lending to keep non-performance loans low
  • Worldwide political instability