American Phuket school teacher slammed off motorbike on second day at work

webfact

American Phuket school teacher slammed off motorbike on second day at work

Premkamon Ketsara

1493702305_1-org.jpg

Police and rescue workers arrived to find the white Honda City sedan with heavy damage to its front. Photo: Premkamon Ketsara

PHUKET: -- A 26-year-old American woman on her second day as a school teacher in Phuket was slammed off her motorbike in Kathu this morning (May 2) while driving to school.

The woman, Megan Mari, was rushed to Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town after the accident left her with head and back injuries, confirmed Capt Wattanatorn Bumrungthin of the Kathu Police.

A Khao Phuket reporter noted that a motorbike helmet was at the scene. 

Ms Mari was driving toward Kajonkietsuksa School, where she had just joined as a language teacher, Capt Wattanatorn said.

“It was only her second day at the school,” he added.

The accident occurred at the U-turn in front of Chotima Driving School on Phra Phuket Kaew Rd at about 8:20am, Capt Wattanatorn confirmed.

Police and Kusoldharm rescue workers arrived at the scene to find a white Honda City sedan with heavy damage to its front.

“Three meters away was a Yamaha Nouvo motorbike off the side of the road,” one rescue worker reported.

“Ten meters away was a foreign woman with a big wound on her left ankle, and her hands and feet were swollen. Her ears were bleeding and her back was seriously hurt,” the rescue worker added.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/american-phuket-school-teacher-slammed-off-motorbike-on-second-day-at-work-62001.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-05-02

I hope she is ok, not seriously injured, it says her back was seriously injured, i hope not too serious. 

As serious back injuries are life changing.

I also hope she has good health insurance so she can get the best possible help in hospital.

It's a pity that her school couldn't have given her some sound advice about riding a motorbike in Thailand, ['don't'], really essential if they valued her as an employee. Many teaching agencies in Thailand, especially the top-end ones, which supply teachers to good schools, won't allow their teachers to ride a motorbike here, it's written into the contract, and with good reason.

Does not sound good.  Serious back injury and ears bleeding, so possible head injury.

Occured near a U-Turn.   I wonder if it was the person making the U-turn that hit her, or someone trying to avoid someone making a U-turn?  All these U-turns need to be outlawed.  In addition to being a serious traffic hazard, especially on busy roads, they also disrupt traffic and cause serious congestion.

I hope Phuket News does the correct thing and

1) Informs the school and the girl that they published her email and wifi account details with passwords on the web along with her phone number 

2) Buy her new sim card and some flowers 

Now they have already blacked out the details, but the information is already out

Terrible, this girl will have some health problems for quite awhile. She just started teaching at this privately owned family operation.

Probably no insurance, no work permit, ect. I hope she had some good travel insurance from the states. I agree, no one should drive

a motorcycle in Thailand until they have some experience. Maybe the women who hit her, will take care of her medical costs,

through her insurance company. At least if it was a falang and a stupid Thai on the bike, the police would say you have insurance

you take care of everything. How many times have we heard that?

3 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

It's a pity that her school couldn't have given her some sound advice about riding a motorbike in Thailand, ['don't'], really essential if they valued her as an employee. Many teaching agencies in Thailand, especially the top-end ones, which supply teachers to good schools, won't allow their teachers to ride a motorbike here, it's written into the contract, and with good reason.

I find travelling by motorcycle in Thailand perfectly safe as long as one isfully aware of ones surroundings, had experience riding and one is skilled at any emergency manoeuvre required ie: emergency braking, quick change of direction etc.

Most accidents and injuries I see are through inexperience, ignorance or stupidity.

Heres hoping this woman avoids any long term, life altering injuries.

Edited by MadMuhummad

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

I hope she is ok, not seriously injured, it says her back was seriously injured, i hope not too serious. 

I also hope she has good health insurance so she can get the best possible help in hospital.

The back injury is worrying but I was more concerned with reading about the ears bleeding... I would suspect possible head/brain injury?

5 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Sound advice from a Thai?

6 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Why should they make an exception for her, they dont tell the students, or so it would appear

A post with altered quotes has been removed.

Do not change the text inside the quote box. 

2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

17 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Written into the contract? That's ridiculous. 

How otherwise would teachers get to school?

The schools should educate not only the students but also the teachers the importance of road safety including the wearing of helmets. 

Police do nothing to stop speeding motorists. 

That aluminum gateway is on the left side. That side is heading east towards Patong Hill. The accident was on the right, heading towards Tesco. She could not have been heading to school at that time, unless she was ghost riding. 

On 5/2/2017 at 0:40 PM, colinneil said:

Blood from her ears isn't a great sign either

The Honda driver said 'the teacher on bike pulled out in front of her and she had no time to avoid a collision...?

Mmm but it appears that the teacher on the bike had time to pull out and straighten up as by the look of the pictures she has been rear ended right up the chuff by the Honda driver from the rear... Now lets see, speed, on the phone texting, not paying attention...

Edited by Lokie