5 years here,but this has left me stunned

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/05/2017 at 11:40 PM, catman20 said:

your an old romantic arnt you ?:cheesy:

I'm glad you noticed :)

Its just very hard to take anything seriously as a farang in Thailand.

If you are not playing the game, you are the game.

1 hour ago, ed strong said:

I'm glad you noticed :)

Its just very hard to take anything seriously as a farang in Thailand.

If you are not playing the game, you are the game.

Another generic farang in thailand. Loads to repeat and repeat and repeat. Geezers a gameboy. "You are the game" your a prized

On 5/21/2017 at 8:40 PM, ed strong said:

Other problem is any Thai women that speaks English to a level where conversation and flirting is possible has already had more farang sausage than you could imagine!

True statement.  Yet, so many farangs in Thailand insists on a Thai woman that can speak English.  Like a sheep led to slaughter. 

I dispute the premise that English proficiency always entails much sausage. You need to qualify this with their age and schooling level.   Yes if 24 primary only then it may be a strong indicator.  But what if they have a strong east Indian accent.  You don't get that from typical farang encounters.   What if they are 35 and have a bachelor's and speak and write English well with no accent.  I think some of you play in the bottom of the barrel.  

The " women knowing English" comments that so many speak of on here shows the high level of ignorance many have.  I guess its because all those posters see are Bar Girls and hookers and are likely sexpats so they have a very limited view.

I have worked for two US based companies over the last 10+ years in Thailand and English is required as part of the job. Its funny that the folks on this site always refer to the women and how many foreigners they have been with to learn it. What about all the men that speak English fluently? See my point? They went to school. 

The staff  that reports to me directly and I interact with went to school and learned English just like I did when I learned Spanish and some Italian. The professional office women have never dated a foreigner. Most are married with children and live normal lives like most do. They have house payments, cars, school expenses etc etc. You guys need to get out of Pattaya, Nana and off internet dating sites and see more of the world. :smile: 

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

The " women knowing English" comments that so many speak of on here shows the high level of ignorance many have.  I guess its because all those posters see are Bar Girls and hookers and are likely sexpats so they have a very limited view.

I have worked for two US based companies over the last 10+ years in Thailand and English is required as part of the job. Its funny that the folks on this site always refer to the women and how many foreigners they have been with to learn it. What about all the men that speak English fluently? See my point? They went to school. 

The staff  that reports to me directly and I interact with went to school and learned English just like I did when I learned Spanish and some Italian. The professional office women have never dated a foreigner. Most are married with children and live normal lives like most do. They have house payments, cars, school expenses etc etc. You guys need to get out of Pattaya, Nana and off internet dating sites and see more of the world. :smile: 

I actually agree with most of what you say.  I too have met several Thai women who speak near fluent English--all studied overseas.  Not coincidentally, all are with Thai men.  I guess we're talking more about Thai women who the typical farang has access to.  Within this subset, Thai women who don't speak much English may be preferred over those who do.  These are generalities, of course, as are most of the comments on this forum regarding Thai women.     

10 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I actually agree with most of what you say.  I too have met several Thai women who speak near fluent English--all studied overseas.  Not coincidentally, all are with Thai men.  I guess we're talking more about Thai women who the typical farang has access to.  Within this subset, Thai women who don't speak much English may be preferred over those who do.  These are generalities, of course, as are most of the comments on this forum regarding Thai women.     

Well its clear why many of the men post like they do because of the circles they keep. I have numerous Sr planners that speak absolutely perfect English and have been married to their Thai husbands for quite a few years (ages 30 to 40). a number of them as you noted studied overseas and moved back to secure positions and take care of their family. I have easily 20 to 30 engineers that speak fluent English and they accomplished it here in Thailand. 

I guess my point is, that it is simply not true that any women in Thailand who can speak English learned it hanging around with foreigners in the sex trade. I understand the audience on this site though. I post to refute the statements they made. 

15 hours ago, Berkshire said:

True statement.  Yet, so many farangs in Thailand insists on a Thai woman that can speak English.  Like a sheep led to slaughter. 

These two berks are quality. Imagine meeting berks like this. You been with your Mrs 4-5 years she's broke her back learning English whilst in her homeland and the first thought that pops in their heads is this. No room for an open mind by the looks of it. Wonder where you stay.

8 hours ago, JAFO said:

I agree that in this sense 95% of people on this site have only access to the tourist type places (of course we are all only tourists even if you've lived in Thailand for 30 years...you certainly aren't a local.

How many of you guys frequent Thai bars? or Thai only areas? None because you would probably end up in trouble and certainly no one would be interested to talk to you. Kind of different to the tourist areas, eh.

In above regard....im not talking about Some thai village stuck on in the north somewhere, where they smile in the hope that you might take pity and fix their roof sometime.

Your relationship with your MIL (Should you have one) will also tell you more about the Thai attitude to farangs.

The amount of money you or you wife give her will be directly proportional to the amount of affection and Interest that MIL shows in you.

How many of you guys go out regularly with Thai men for drinks or a meal?  How many regularly receive affection from Thai women?

Not very proportional is it.

My best trip to Thailand was my first one as I was so naive to the goings on and just went along with it without thinking too much. Having seen and experienced many aspects of thai life (Ive been pattaya twice and hated both trips) so don't go down that route as is the normal retort to a post like this.

In some ways i wish i was just an ostrich like that first couple of trips. However i still enjoy Thailand and the people there.

Life is a joke and if you don't realize that you are the joke.

I could write similar condeming reports on living abroad in different countries or living in your own country.... we are all looking for something and every relationship has a trade of.....its just the thai women have a canny knack of digging in to this and giving you exactly what you want.

Just now, ed strong said:

I agree that in this sense 95% of people on this site have only access to the tourist type places (of course we are all only tourists even if you've lived in Thailand for 30 years...you certainly aren't a local.

How many of you guys frequent Thai bars? or Thai only areas? None because you would probably end up in trouble and certainly no one would be interested to talk to you. Kind of different to the tourist areas, eh.

In above regard....im not talking about Some thai village stuck on in the north somewhere, where they smile in the hope that you might take pity and fix their roof sometime.

Your relationship with your MIL (Should you have one) will also tell you more about the Thai attitude to farangs.

The amount of money you or you wife give her will be directly proportional to the amount of affection and Interest that MIL shows in you.

How many of you guys go out regularly with Thai men for drinks or a meal?  How many regularly receive affection from Thai women?

My best trip to Thailand was my first one as I was so naive to the goings on and just went along with it without thinking too much. Having seen and experienced many aspects of thai life (Ive been pattaya twice and hated both trips) so don't go down that route as is the normal retort to a post like this.

In some ways i wish i was just an ostrich like that first couple of trips. However i still enjoy Thailand and the people there.

I could write similar condeming reports on living abroad in different countries or living in your own country.... we are all looking for something and every relationship has a trade of.....its just the thai women have a canny knack of digging in to this and giving you exactly what you want.

If its a good joke or a bad joke depends on you.

Life is a waste of time or else we would be faced with horribly beautiful infinity.

5 minutes ago, ed strong said:

Again your generic responses are questionable. 10 odd posts ago this person I'm quoting quoted "the game" I bet a few boys in Pattaya wholly agreed with that and got you a few likes in the process. Now my man's talking like he's been everywhere for a reasonable amount of time to decide that no one wishes to speak with him no one is interested and apparently in the north they seek pity.

It's hard work leaving a 5 baht tip in the north east as most places I've frequented are not accustomed to tips.

What I find odd is your words sound so generic. Would it not be better to detail a real experience or five which backs up your delusions now and then?

I'm reading your content and seeing not an ounce of a personal touch and wondering why when you have so much to say do you say so little in way of realistic examples?

Life is a joke eh, Ok Ed strong life's a joke let's all pay our way through life laughing and joking and see how far we get shall we. 

I think JAFO's info on English comes from lots of experience.  However at the same time he slams on dating sites?? I don't think he has any experience with  the type of women using dating sites or those looking for farang.   

I bet he would be surprised at how many of the good women in his Factory are looking. 

14 hours ago, Elkski said:

I think JAFO's info on English comes from lots of experience.  However at the same time he slams on dating sites?? I don't think he has any experience with  the type of women using dating sites or those looking for farang.   

I bet he would be surprised at how many of the good women in his Factory are looking. 

Good point on dating sites. Who knows. I certainly wouldnt ask.

My comment on dating sites is that I have met quite a few foreigners that have used Thai dating sites.  The feedback is that a great portion are scammers, prostitutes, gold diggers etc. As I was shown by friends at work, Thais are not looking for Thais on the sites foreigners use.  Thais have there own sites for connecting.  Now I am no way saying that all the women who post up profiles on foreigner sites are scamming but I personally would be extremely cautious.  I know 2 foreigners that met what they called a great woman only to both be scammed. 1 was quick and he caught it. The other she was really good and had 3 foreigners on the hook. I was actually quite impressed the shell game she had going.  

Now in fairness I am aware my sample size is small but its enough. One thing to point out. In all my years working here I have never had a Thai gal at work ask me to find her a foreigner or do I have any friends. I feel that professional working women have no interest in foreigner men in general. They are financially secure and have professional careers and I suspect that bringing an old foreigner man into the mix actually complicates their life for a host of reasons. So I tell guys that ask about dating sites. If the relationship moves along quick and too easy remain guarded.  

14 hours ago, ed strong said:

I agree that generally speaking the vast majority of foreigners here in Thailand live in very close proximity to major tourist locations or within them entirely. This is why I say many have a very tainted point of view on How Thailand really is. 

I do actually but I am comfortable doing so. I have had people come up to speak with me mostly wondering where I came from and to practice English communication and of course I work on my Thai skills

I go out to lunch everyday with different Thai folks. Sometimes we do a big dinner on pay day Friday and speak Thai and English. The best thing is that we are not anywhere near a Tourist hang out thus almost every venue is Thai.

But to your points above Ed Strong, I suspect many do not as they live in high tourist areas around Thailand, BKK, CM, Pattaya Phuket, Hua Hin etc and most everything is in English and familiar to them. Its a comfort thing for sure and I totally understand.  

Again your generic responses are questionable. 10 odd posts ago this person I'm quoting quoted "the game" I bet a few boys in Pattaya wholly agreed with that and got you a few likes in the process. Now my man's talking like he's been everywhere for a reasonable amount of time to decide that no one wishes to speak with him no one is interested and apparently in the north they seek pity.

It's hard work leaving a 5 baht tip in the north east as most places I've frequented are not accustomed to tips.

What I find odd is your words sound so generic. Would it not be better to detail a real experience or five which backs up your delusions now and then?

I'm reading your content and seeing not an ounce of a personal touch and wondering why when you have so much to say do you say so little in way of realistic examples?

Life is a joke eh, Ok Ed strong life's a joke let's all pay our way through life laughing and joking and see how far we get shall we. 

The guy has a point regarding bars and going out with regular Thais. I've only had 2 Thai women in my life - one sort of rich and the present one middle class. Every time I went out with them drinking (not a frequent occasion, mostly after work birthdays or similar occasion) I often wondered if I was alone what kind of chance would I have meeting a regular girl there and starting a "conversation". Sure, Thais are friendly, but I'd feel totally out of place.

I understand his point completely.

It is true that the number of Thais who can speak English to one degree or another is slowly increasing. ASEAN integration is causing the government to stress the importance of English in school curriculums. There is also increasing exposure to English through the internet, social media, movies, TV and advertising. For example, many Thai language TV stations are carrying more and more English programing.

Historically, however, the number of Thais who had exposure to English was very limited. Twenty to thirty years ago there weren't that many multi-national corporations operating in Thailand, and when they did, the foreign English speaker typically interfaced with one or two Thai middle managers, who then communicated with the rest of the Thai workforce in Thai. Of course, some professions (medical, engineering, dentistry, etc.) demand a greater proficiency in English because so much of the technical terminology is in English. But 30 years ago very few Thais spoke English, and the majority of those who did, worked in the tourism and hospitality sector. So the stereotype that many women in their 20's and 30's learned their English in beer bars or otherwise interacting with foreign (mostly male) tourists, is not without some truth.

I think claims by forum members about how well spouses speak English need to be taken with a grain of salt. Let's take, for example, the ability to properly conjugate English verbs, which I would say is a minimum requisite for claiming you can speak English well. The only Thais who I've met who can consistently can do this were private school educated (quite often including foreign education), AND who have lived or worked abroad for an extended period of time. In other words, a tiny select few. I'm sure someone will blithely sashay along to tell us that their wife speaks perfect English without any of these life opportunities. Well, all I can say is, maybe yes, maybe no. 

While English proficiency is slowly improving, the report card is not good and there are some very deep-rooted structural reasons for this.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/learning-news/756536/thai-english-proficiency-drops-now-3rd-worst-in-asia-ef 

Anybody who has taught in Thai schools (as I have) or has school aged children (as I do) is fully aware of the limitations of English instruction in Thailand (no language labs, reliance on transliteration for pronunciation, poor access to native speakers, poorly trained teachers, mediocre texbooks, poor academic standards, just to name a few). That's further reason why I think claims by foreigners of having highly fluent spouses or routinely mixing with highly fluent Thais need to be taken with a grain of salt. I've met foreigners who have boasted about their wife's English, only to discover upon being introduced to them that their English was rudimentary at best.

I would also point out that no matter where people live in Thailand virtually everyone comes in enough contact with professional Thais, (bank tellers, customer service reps, dentists, doctors, nurses, lawyers, real estate agents, insurance agents, travel agents, interior decorators, landlords, car salespersons, cooking school instructors, language teachers, airline representatives, ticket vendors, salespeople, immigration officials, police officers, government officials or just everyday folks) to make an assessment of the general level of English proficiency in Thailand. You can also evaluate the language proficiency of Thai news anchors, interviewers, and movie stars who occasionally use English. So to say that only a select few foreigners are qualified to assess the true level of Thai English proficiency is a little pretentious in my book.

23 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Again your generic responses are questionable. 10 odd posts ago this person I'm quoting quoted "the game" I bet a few boys in Pattaya wholly agreed with that and got you a few likes in the process

You are doing exactly the same just from the opposite view point...'a few boys from pattaya'  please......

Your popping at me for not giving any real experiences, yet these are yours? of course the Thais in the North aren't going to tip each other, especially not 10%!

I have had many experiences. I'm certainly not just making this up, these are my conclusions from my experiences. Its all personal and no doubt when the time is right i will share. 'Timing is everything'

Anyway I don't really blame anyone of them, we all have choices to make. Ive been involved in International business all my adult life, and have found that most of it is a joke and someone always looking for a fast buck, look at the government and how they act and this stems down through the ranks.

Integrity is a great thing but they are very very few who actually have this trait and even those that assume they do can often find themselves in a different situation with a different view very easily.

On the dating site remark, I did join one in the Philippines when i was 'stuck' out in Vigan (North West) for a month. Not the same as Issan but similar in the fact that they rarely see farangs.

I had three dates, one was obviously just on the game, the other tried to entice me into an area where i would have been mugged and the other one was lovely but unfortunately this was the last date and i was heading to Thailand the following week and she lived about 1 hour from where i was. 

I personally would steer clear of the Thai online dating site as mentioned above any thai lady joining a 'farang styled' dating site is making a career choice not trying to find their soul mate!

We all have some confirmation bias in our system and we interpret new information so that our prior conclusions remain intact.

“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” 

51 minutes ago, ed strong said:

Again your generic responses are questionable. 10 odd posts ago this person I'm quoting quoted "the game" I bet a few boys in Pattaya wholly agreed with that and got you a few likes in the process

You are doing exactly the same just from the opposite view point...'a few boys from pattaya'  please......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Your popping at me for not giving any real experiences, yet these are yours? of course the Thais in the North aren't going to tip each other, especially not 10%!

It was a quick off my head example in response yo your "Thais in North just want you to pity them and fix there roofs"

I have had many experiences. I'm certainly not just making this up, these are my conclusions from my experiences. Its all personal and no doubt when the time is right i will share. 'Timing is everything'

Anyway I don't really blame anyone of them, we all have choices to make. Ive been involved in International business all my adult life, and have found that most of it is a joke and someone always looking for a fast buck, look at the government and how they act and this stems down through the ranks.

Integrity is a great thing but they are very very few who actually have this trait and even those that assume they do can often find themselves in a different situation with a different view very easily.

On the dating site remark, I did join one in the Philippines when i was 'stuck' out in Vigan (North West) for a month. Not the same as Issan but similar in the fact that they rarely see farangs.

I had three dates, one was obviously just on the game, the other tried to entice me into an area where i would have been mugged and the other one was lovely but unfortunately this was the last date and i was heading to Thailand the following week and she lived about 1 hour from where i was. 

So you gave in to your loneliness and sought solace from a dating site and you did not do enough homework prior to the meet to ensure you were not being "Gamed" or have I got this wrong in which case how did you come to meet them?

the last one was lovely but she lived an hour away?

Words of a true internationalist. Lol

I personally would steer clear of the Thai online dating site as mentioned above any thai lady joining a 'farang styled' dating site is making a career choice not trying to find their soul mate!

So on the same note you can understand some sentiments of thai women's reluctance to date farangs if even worldly farangs have notions like this. The world is a big place and you get the rough with the smooth pretty much everywhere but thai dating sites are 100% not to be trusted. Strange

We all have some confirmation bias in our system and we interpret new information so that our prior conclusions remain intact.

“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” 

So you gave in to your loneliness and sought solace from a dating site and you did not do enough homework prior to the meet to ensure you were not being "Gamed" or have I got this wrong in which case how did you come to meet them?

I feel you are nit picking my posts now however i will reply.......

Not many people working there spoke English so I joined a dating site to meet some English speaking women and that what happened. Just sharing my experience, not sure how your supposed to do your homework to ensure not being gamed?  I was in a remote (ish) part of the phillipines and two the said three profiles were hookers or even worse a total con women. One was ok but it was a long bus ride away and i was leaving in 5 days. Whats so funny about that?

So on the same note you can understand some sentiments of thai women's reluctance to date farangs if even worldly farangs have notions like this. The world is a big place and you get the rough with the smooth pretty much everywhere but thai dating sites are 100% not to be trusted. Strange

Who's mentioned anything about a thai womens reluctance to date a farang?  They don't really give a toss as long as they are kept sweet.

Yes i wouldn't trust or use a dating web site as the vast majority of applicants would be a big waste of time.....they will be either on the game or have hit rock bottom and this is the last resort. Not for me however if a short time is your thing then go ahead with it but there's easier ways to do that than going down the dating site route

11 minutes ago, ed strong said:

I feel you are nit picking my posts now however i will reply.......

Not many people working there spoke English so I joined a dating site to meet some English speaking women and that what happened. Just sharing my experience, not sure how your supposed to do your homework to ensure not being gamed?  I was in a remote (ish) part of the phillipines and two the said three profiles were hookers or even worse a total con women. One was ok but it was a long bus ride away and i was leaving in 5 days. Whats so funny about that?

Who's mentioned anything about a thai womens reluctance to date a farang?  They don't really give a toss as long as they are kept sweet.

Yes i wouldn't trust or use a dating web site as the vast majority of applicants would be a big waste of time.....they will be either on the game or have hit rock bottom and this is the last resort. Not for me however if a short time is your thing then go ahead with it but there's easier ways to do that than going down the dating site route

OK enlighten me.

Date 1. How did you figure out she was a hooker? In hindsight could you have saved yourself the time by being a little less err needy?

Date 2. How do you know you were being set up for getting conned?

- maybe you were a bit paranoid after the experience with date 1

Date 3. She was lovely and great but not worth an hours bus ride? 

After your 1st 2 experiences date 3 sounds like plain sailing.

Homework.  Normally revolves around communication asking questions not being too quick to meet. 

Your situation and your own words lead me to believe you jumped online as a last resort and you added the pressure as it was you who did not want to be alone, therefore you rushed it and these are your own personal experiences as you say, but they all sound like you rushed it.

What length of time are we talking about anyway?

Met my Mrs on an App called Wechat. When she told me to do1 on the first message I was smitten.  3 years ago. Took nearly 3 weeks to meet her and a lot of harassment on my part but if she had tried to initiate a meet in week 1 I'd have probably lost interest.

47 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

OK enlighten me.

Date 1. How did you figure out she was a hooker? In hindsight could you have saved yourself the time by being a little less err needy?

Date 2. How do you know you were being set up for getting conned?

- maybe you were a bit paranoid after the experience with date 1

Date 3. She was lovely and great but not worth an hours bus ride? 

After your 1st 2 experiences date 3 sounds like plain sailing.

Homework.  Normally revolves around communication asking questions not being too quick to meet. 

Your situation and your own words lead me to believe you jumped online as a last resort and you added the pressure as it was you who did not want to be alone, therefore you rushed it and these are your own personal experiences as you say, but they all sound like you rushed it.

What length of time are we talking about anyway?

Lol. I was there for 2 weeks and after a few days and as a young guy in Asia its never hard to gain some attraction however a few ladies that i did meet were very shy and didn't speak much English. The men on the other hand were er quite forthcoming and as nice as they were i didn't want to go down that route but thanks for the company.

So i thought about a dating site as their profiles would indicate some level of English.I was just looking for some company and if it went somewhere it went somewhere, not much more than that. Ive never joined a dating site before and wasnt interested in building some rapport on the internet just get out there and meet a few locals or local (ish)

Date 1 i could tell something was up when i walked through the town with her and the looks i got from other Philippine people, anyway took her for some food and she said she had to be home by 7 and if we want to go back to my room? I said whats the point if you have to go home soon, she gave the look every other hooker that ive met has given me, I declined her offer and off she went.

The second date was very dodgy from the start, she kept asking what hotel i was staying in and about my watch anyway i was a bit on edge tbh but i took her for some food..... then she asked if i would her back to her car. I didnt know the town that well and we walked for about a mile and then she tried to direct me down these steps in what what looked like a dodgy area. I declined and left.

The following morning i told the phillipine women that i was working with what happened and I asked her where those steps headed to ? and she had a look of shock and embarrasment and said for sure i would have been mugged had i gone down there, it was a trap!

A couple of days later i noticed another interesting girl from the site and although i was leaving in a few days i agreed to meet. She was sweet and we had pizza and a good vibe and exchanged skypes and kept in touch for the next couple of years but her english wasn't that good and then she moved to Makati and we slowly stopped chatting.

Met my Mrs on an App called Wechat. When she told me to do1 on the first message I was smitten.  3 years ago. Took nearly 3 weeks to meet her and a lot of harassment

Whats she doing on an app called wechat if she didn't want to chat? Don't get it?

On 22/05/2017 at 9:13 AM, thaibeachbum365 said:

Yes, the longer you stay here the more you come to understand that Thais and farangs are poles apart in thought processes. That girl that's been with you for years will trust the word of another Thai, she's only met 5 minutes before, rather than your more plausible explanation of things or events. I see it it and hear of it over, and over, and over, and over again. Why? well because your a farang and you don't actually know anything and Thais know better.   

Spot on bro spot on. How f*****g frustrating is it?

also Thai never wrong, farang always to blame when things go pear shaped.

why do we stay? <deleted>*k knows.....

We do need an update on this romance.   But I and others have hyjacked this thread.   To the poster before me.  Can you qualify your last generalization?  Do you date girls with predominantly a certain education level?  Primary, secondary, HS, BS, masters.  And what career path did your women have?   I have found college educated Thai women to be as thought provoking as western women.  Without all the baggage.  

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

We do need an update on this romance.   But I and others have hyjacked this thread.   To the poster before me.  Can you qualify your last generalization?  Do you date girls with predominantly a certain education level?  Primary, secondary, HS, BS, masters.  And what career path did your women have?   I have found college educated Thai women to be as thought provoking as western women.  Without all the baggage.  

So how's the divorce panning out for you then?

11 hours ago, ed strong said:

as someone else once put it.....its like working with the special needs: Frustrating, challenging yet strangely rewarding...

Adding to this, as I have said numerous times, the frustration and challenge issues foreigners experience really depend on the area they live and the company they keep. On rare occasions I will experience some frustration but I usually find a way to make it funny.

That said, I do find living here strangely rewarding..... 

Archived