Life behind bars: Ex-prisoners describe a typical day in Thai prison

webfact

Life behind bars: Ex-prisoners describe a typical day in Thai prison

By Coconuts Bangkok 

prs.jpg

Photo: Reuters

Story by Didtita Simcharoen

Rumors about Thai prisons have not changed for decades. Low hygiene standards, overpopulation, and hidden self-governing systems are among the open secrets whispered about life in a Thai jail.

Rangsiman Rome, a 24-year-old anti-junta activist, has spent a short period of time in the infamous Klong Prem Central Prison, nicknamed “The Bangkok Hilton.” The Thammasat University graduate has been jailed twice. The first time was in June, 2015, when he and 13 other anti-junta activists were detained for breaking the junta’s ban on political gatherings.

The second time was in June, 2016, when he was arrested for campaigning against the referendum draft. In both instances, he spent 12 days in jail awaiting trial before being released.

Meanwhile, Pronthip Mankong, 28, was granted royal parole a few months before her 2-year sentence ended. She was jailed after a 2013 theatrical performance that she took part in was deemed insulting to the monarchy. She was arrested and prosecuted in 2014, and was released last August.

The two were kind enough to walk Coconuts through a typical day in Thai prison... [read more...]

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/features/life-behind-bars-ex-prisoners-describe-typical-day-thai-prison/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-05-04

I am waiting for the keyboard warriors to start spouting about this 1.

Should be interesting seeing some of the nonsensical comments.

Now people remember i have been there done that ( no t shirt though).

8 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I am waiting for the keyboard warriors to start spouting about this 1.

Should be interesting seeing some of the nonsensical comments.

Now people remember i have been there done that ( no t shirt though).

Ahhhh!.....but the ones we were in were top secret, so you wouldn't know.

We had to drink was our own p*ss, and all we had to eat were deceased fellow inmates with lie.:shock1:

It was boring, so we spent all our time speculating about the demise of our elderly fellow-inmates!:crazy:

50 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Ahhhh!.....but the ones we were in were top secret, so you wouldn't know.

We had to drink was our own p*ss, and all we had to eat were deceased fellow inmates with lie.:shock1:

It was boring, so we spent all our time speculating about the demise of our elderly fellow-inmates!:crazy:

So no real different than the average TV retiree living in Pattaya.

Not just Thailand, but in pretty well every country in the world no-one wants to know, or cares, about prison conditions although it's an important element of any nation's justice system.. Rehabilitation processes are non-existent. Criminal justice systems tend to resort to diversion programs (put inmates somewhere else instead of prison) rather than wrestle with the 'costs' of rehab. In most countries facilities designed and built two centuries ago still accommodate offenders.That's a fair guide to the dated philosophies and principles that reflect corrections services.

• 4 weeks later...

There's nothing in the article about the guards. The stories I've heard usually have brutal guards in there somewhere.

True or not true?

I don't think I'd last long in a Thai jail. I doubt I could sleep on the floor and would probably get in the doodoo for keeping the neighbours awake.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There's nothing in the article about the guards. The stories I've heard usually have brutal guards in there somewhere.

True or not true?

I don't think I'd last long in a Thai jail. I doubt I could sleep on the floor and would probably get in the doodoo for keeping the neighbours awake.

You ask about the guards, well when i was in Buriram prison, i was treated with respect by the guards.

1 guard even brought me a cup of coffee.

I never saw any prisoner being mistreated by the guards, i am not saying it never happened, but i never saw it.

You say that you would be unable to sleep on the floor, well if you were locked up you have no choice.

Area on the floor 2mtrs by 450millimeters is your allocated space.