Forgetting Things

It's funny how you go shopping for 4 things and you end up getting 13 things but forget one of initial 4 items you wanted then remember when you get back home.

Yet you can remember events or conversations from 30 years ago. Why is it the mind forgets things within 60 minutes but can remember things from a long time ago?

It's dementia, where the short term memory goes but the long term is still intact.  I knew a guy who had Alzheimer's and could remember back to his childhood days, but couldn't remember what day it was or what he just ate.  It also runs in the family.  If either of your parents had Alzheimer's, you may be in line for the same. 

Not necessarily dementia, short term and long term memories are affected by different things, alcohol in particular impacts on short term memory, it's not necessarily dementia.

4 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

It's dementia, where the short term memory goes but the long term is still intact.  I knew a guy who had Alzheimer's and could remember back to his childhood days, but couldn't remember what day it was or what he just ate.  It also runs in the family.  If either of your parents had Alzheimer's, you may be in line for the same. 

55555 not dementia. I know teenagers that do this.

Every person I know says they have done this.

You think everyone has dementia?

Just now, simoh1490 said:

Not necessarily dementia, short term and long term memories are affected by different things, alcohol in particular impacts on short term memory, it's not necessarily dementia.

Alcohol is possible but this happens to non drinkers and is the reason why people often make shopping lists.

45 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

55555 not dementia. I know teenagers that do this.

Every person I know says they have done this.

You think everyone has dementia?

I wasn't saying you had full-blown dementia or Alz....but it "could be" an early sign.  I thought you were asking questions related to clinical memory loss, especially when you mention things that are hallmark signs of actual dementia.  But if it's just normal forgetting--which we all do--then nevermind.  Heck, I forget stuff all the time...but it hasn't gotten that bad (yet).

Dementia is the umbrella name for a series of conditions that include Alzheimer's, Huntingtons, Parkinson, Lewy Bodies etc., each have different attributes and symptoms but memory loss is broadly common amongst them all.

I was going to make a point here but I've forgotten what it was! :sad:

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I wasn't saying you had full-blown dementia or Alz....but it "could be" an early sign.  I thought you were asking questions related to clinical memory loss, especially when you mention things that are hallmark signs of actual dementia.  But if it's just normal forgetting--which we all do--then nevermind.  Heck, I forget stuff all the time...but it hasn't gotten that bad (yet).

I wasnt saying it happens every week. Just sometimes. My theory is the conscious mind focuses on important things while the non important things get pushed back to subconcious mind for a period of time. So even though you went shopping for 4 things these things are not of major importance so get filtered back in order. Thinking about the hot woman in aisle 3 or the big fight night on Saturday takes priority.

Just now, sharktooth said:

I can remember the words to every punk song ever written, but ferk knows what I had for dinner last night.

I can remember sporting stats from 20 years ago but can't remember what I did 2 weekends ago without a lot of thought.

Just now, BigKahuna said:

I can remember sporting stats from 20 years ago but can't remember what I did 2 weekends ago without a lot of thought.

Short and long term memory are managed in different parts of the brain, I don't really understand though what time frame separates the two, when does a short term memory become a long term one etc.

2 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

You think that's bad? I went for a poo earlier and forgot to have a pee!!!

Oh boy, do I know what OP is talking about.
We are getting older. With the passage of time all sorts of "bodily functions" will be affected.
In the end: We will ALL be dead.
Time to have a beer. (You never know, if it's the last one.):partytime2:
Cheers.

My memory is decent but the Mrs's is not great so I made a point of it and bless her cotton socks she's looking at her phone very attentively a couple of weeks ago and she's playing these memory test games. Awful dementia had to watch a lovely woman go from superwoman to dead in less than 2 years. Really rotten time that. I think it's wise to keep those retired minds active gents for as long as possible.