Learning To Avoid Confrontation with Stray Dogs

snoop1130

The problem that most of you do not say or are unaware is not the single dog . When i walked to the shop 250m from my house there are 14 dogs in various houses . When 1 dog barks at me they all come rushing out and all start barking at me . I have been trapped on the school wall once by a pack of dogs and as for bangkokairportlink saying its me thats the problem , absolutely rubbish statement . I do nothing except walk to the shop for a beer and as log as the wet dog lovers have that attitude there will always be problems

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, howard ashoul said:

What's wrong with you? In 5 years I was never attacked by a dog. And I never saw anybody get attacked by dog.

And some of you got bitten 3 times? And carrying weapons? Maybe problem isn't in dogs, but in you. If dogs were really so dangerous as described, how could any thai reach 20 years old? How is that, that thais aren't all dead, if their living in this dangerous eviroment all their life? :biggrin:

Just treat dogs as thais. Whenever dogs aproach them they will scream at them to get lost and raise their hand. Works 100% even for me. Don't run like a pussy. And don't act like lost tourist who are scared shittles. Stand your ground. Works everytime.

The right action to ensure they bite you. Get real, I carry a stun gun.

Where I live is a large lake in a park with a road arond it.

Everyday people are, me included, jogging or walking around the lake.

There are living in the park, I guess, about 30 to 50 dogs.

What totally amazes me is that none of these dogs growl, bite or attack people.

They don't even look at people jogging.

Sometimes I have to step over one or walk around one and the dog could'nt care less.

I don't understand this as all of them are strays.

Any ideas someone?

Sometimes I have to step over one or walk around one and the dog could'nt care less.
Any ideas someone?

Pretty normal for most parks.

Reasons:
- they grow up there and are used to having people around all the time.
- agressive ones are killed/removed

20 hours ago, howard ashoul said:

What's wrong with you? In 5 years I was never attacked by a dog. And I never saw anybody get attacked by dog.

And some of you got bitten 3 times? And carrying weapons? Maybe problem isn't in dogs, but in you. If dogs were really so dangerous as described, how could any thai reach 20 years old? How is that, that thais aren't all dead, if their living in this dangerous eviroment all their life? :biggrin:

Just treat dogs as thais. Whenever dogs aproach them they will scream at them to get lost and raise their hand. Works 100% even for me. Don't run like a pussy. And don't act like lost tourist who are scared shittles. Stand your ground. Works everytime.

The wackos and bullies are going to go after you on this. I have never had an issue with a dog, ever and I am one of those people who has no hesitation to say hello and to offer a non threatening greeting. Yes, I have  the odd one  go after me while on the motorbike, but  I can handle it. People who get bit either provoke the critters or present a threat. Or as my professor liked to say, deserved it and to which  I still laugh.  And yes, long ago when I was in the field I had my rabies vaccinations.

51 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

The wackos and bullies are going to go after you on this. I have never had an issue with a dog, ever and I am one of those people who has no hesitation to say hello and to offer a non threatening greeting. Yes, I have  the odd one  go after me while on the motorbike, but  I can handle it. People who get bit either provoke the critters or present a threat. Or as my professor liked to say, deserved it and to which  I still laugh.  And yes, long ago when I was in the field I had my rabies vaccinations.

''People who get bit either provoke the critters or present a threat. Or as my professor liked to say, deserved it and to which''  

A three year old got mauled  by a pack of dogs walking on the beach with her dad and mom last year ...she was holding their hand when these vermin attacked and nearly killed her. According to you and your idiotic ahole professor she provoked it, was a  ''THREAT''  and deserved it!.??. If you said that idiotic ignorant s@@t  to me I'd knock you out...you fkn idiot

2 hours ago, bandito said:

Any ideas someone?

They are Thai dogs, like many Thais, they just tolerate farangs

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

You  obscene  dog lovers are people outside of the norm . I have to say to everyone although they are always on a dog thread shouting abuse at everyone , they are a tiny minority , prob less than 1% who actually think its not the dogs fault but  the peoples .
 Ok geriatrickid explain to me why it was my fault and how i was a threat when i was 9 yr old walking from the park at the end of my street i was attacked by 2 dogs and ended up in hospital with lots of bites and stitches to my leg and bum or the old 79 yr old woman and 10 yr old boy that was bitten walking passed my neighbours house  in thai or the countless children and babies that are mauled and killed by dogs every year and not all pit bulls Or when i  walked to the shop with my 7 yr old boy and 1 dog barked at us then they all come rushing out and we ended up on a wall suRroundeD by 14 dogs . WHAT IN YOUR OPINION DID I DO WRONG !After what you have written , you really need to explain this theory of yours so all can understand it AND I WILL BE NOT HAPPY IF YOU TAKE THE COWARDS WAY OUT AND DO NOT ANSWER

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Not the most sensible of posts, infact it defies all logic. Its like saying I've never been shot, so that makes all guns not a threat. Dogs by nature are born killers, it is instinct for a dog to chase and bite, we as humans try to train them not to do this, but alas not all humans are smart, especially some dog owners.

Interesting to see you like is from an ahsole.

Please DO NOT feed the dogs treats unless you are prepared to go back and pick up the poop. DO NOT contribute to the disgusting state of Thailand roads.

Most dogs react well to the wave of a stick. If that fails then strike them with it. This has been my modus operandus for many years and I have only had to strike a dog once and have never been bitten.

I did get one of these and carry it when I walk, only had to use it once and yes, they scattered but quickly regrouped behind me, I turned around and pointed it, and they scattered again, didn't have to push the button.........so it does teach them to leave you alone.   a friend of mine in Udorn has a similar device, he used it to teach his dogs not to bark at everything that passes by his house.   

25 minutes ago, ed strong said:

Dogs will attack weak energy i.e nervous or anxious people will actually make themselves a victim

EXACTLY !!! So nice to see that I am not the only one able to think on this forum !

Dogs feel that someone is weak. When I talk to them FIRST they feel instantly that they should not mess with me. And if a cowboy think that he is better than me I shout and chase him. Then I can hear him barking from far away.

I was thinking that only Thai didn't know that. So incredible. We are supposed to be born at similar places and know quite the same things. So untrue.

3 hours ago, vogie said:

Not the most sensible of posts, infact it defies all logic. Its like saying I've never been shot, so that makes all guns not a threat. Dogs by nature are born killers, it is instinct for a dog to chase and bite, we as humans try to train them not to do this, but alas not all humans are smart, especially some dog owners.

Interesting to see you like is from an ahsole.

Why not just accept how wrong you are ?

But it's ok, if you think that you perfectly know how to manage this situation, keep doing, until one of them EAT YOU.

EXACTLY !!! So nice to see that I am not the only one able to think on this forum !

Dogs feel that someone is weak. When I talk to them FIRST they feel instantly that they should not mess with me. And if a cowboy think that he is better than me I shout and chase him. Then I can hear him barking from far away.

I was thinking that only Thai didn't know that. So incredible. We are supposed to be born at similar places and know quite the same things. So untrue.

Please let me know when you are in phuket so you can show me how to manage dogs at the previously mentioned training facility for guard dogs (they mostly have 30kg pitbulls so it will be a peace of cake for you).

Once i have had my laugh and you wake up in the hospital you can rethink your wise words.

On 5/4/2017 at 6:20 PM, snoop1130 said:

Always assume that a stray dog bite carries the risk of rabies infection with a fast-acting shot (rabies immune globulin) preventing the rabies virus from infecting you. Part of this injection is given near the area where the animal bit you if possible, as soon as possible after the bite. A series of rabies vaccines is also needed to help your body learn to identify and fight the rabies virus.

If you are in an isolated area and suffer any wound that breaks your skin from a dog bite, and you suspect the animal had rabies, wash the damaged area thoroughly as soon as possible with ordinary non-perfumed (ie, plain laundry)  soap. A thorough washing should be enough to remove any threat of infection.  The virus does not survive very well in the open air, but for your own safety seek medical attention as soon as you can after washing.

42 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Why not just accept how wrong you are ?

But it's ok, if you think that you perfectly know how to manage this situation, keep doing, until one of them EAT YOU.

Which part of my post is wrong, oh wise one?

58 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

But Ed Strong is saying something totally different than you are saying.

I agree with the statement of EdStrong, while you are just plainly wrong.

He points out dogs go for nervous and anxious people, which is correct.

But that does not mean you can blame people for being attacked.

Do you maybe sell pills that take away all nervousness instantly?

Or do you think it is a bit more complicated?

And what about all exceptions, like in my case that I am walking my dog and thats why they approach and attack my dog.

I dont experience any problems when walking around alone.

The last time i smacked a dog it came from the side, without barking, and just came running over at full-speed.

And have you ever entered a home with a guard dog?

Did the dog also run away for your energy?

Do you think that when a trained police dog gets the instruction to attack you it will refuse because of your energy?

As the biggest dog whisperer in the world you might know that dogs are territorial animals and are pack animals.

In the case you invade their territory and they are in a group your energy levels do not matter much.

Ever wondered why actual dog trainers train dogs one at a time and never in a pack?

Think about it, although i doubt you will ever admit not being all-knowing.

22 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Totally agree. People do not understand that they are the problem, They handle dogs as they handle women, and of course they fail.

If the communication skills and likeability you show here says anything about your women skills, I am sure you will never lose your virginity.

As mentioned they are a pack animal and if you wonder into their territory with your own dog you have are going to have a different experience than if you were walking alone.

Dogs 'communicate' by smell and energy . You cant fake it as dogs will see your true colours.

TBH if you are with a dog and get approached by a pack of dogs (Like i have several times) Its best to remain as confident as you can and do not hesitate at all. Walk around them rather then away from them, as this will encourage them to continue their attack. Rocks tend to put them off but its not the ideal situation and the last thing you would want to to do is injure any soi dog.

The odd (1 or 2 ) soi dogs you might bump into in town can easily be put off by actually approaching them with your dog. My dog has actually made some friends with soi dogs on the 'beach' at soi 35 and they often play together.

I have never had any issues with soi dogs in packs or on their own when i have been on my own.

I have a three year old German Shepherd and have never had any problem with the Soi mutts.  I've trained him not to bark and ignore other dogs whilst we walk around the village and it works a treat.  They still come out with all their bravado but as soon as my dog stops, stares then down, they back off.  I have never felt unsafe and have no problem with stray cats or dogs around the property, they give us a wide birth.

I also have a little poodle, of which the shepherd is very protective and on one occasion a large dog (Pack leader) of a group, tried to mount her when on heat, but has never tried it since as my dog, who is able to open the sliding gate, did so and  brought him down, effortlessly.  Since that time neither he or his pack have ever approached the property or the poodle again.

I have never taught my dog to be aggressive, he has just adopted a very protective approach to our family. and even keeps away unwanted visitors.   I know that, when I am out and about with him, twice a day, 30 kilometres of walking a week,  I am safe from attack as the packs now give us a wide berth.  I have never found a need to carry any type of weapon, I have my protection walking beside me.

Dogs can sense fear and one, when in the presence of a strange dog, should never touch them, talk to them or look into their eyes, the latter is a challenge and a dog can react accordingly. Also I would never feed a strange dog, this only encourages them and they can lose any fear they may have of a human, therefore will not stay away and can attack, without provocation.  One never knows how others treat these dogs and sure, there are savage dogs out there but if one finds the need to have a weapon, then they should realise the problems that can arise should they find need to use it.:wai:  

As said before dogs detect your nervousness and makes them on guard, then you may see them show their teeth and snarl however this is an instinctive fear response from a dog to protect itself, may not be a direct threat, many dogs may have been abandoned by previous owners and may approach you expecting some kindness, some even showing teeth because they are wary of you but also want a helping hand, having no other option.

Remember dogs are pack animals and may call on each other for defence if attacked, in which case you have serious problems. Thais being Buddhist will not take kindly to you killing an animal for any reason.  

If a dog is following with an aggressive attitude walk backwards while facing the dog until you are clear of its territory, then you have the water pistol trick, throw water from a drink bottle near them (not the bottle), look like you are picking up a rock (if the dog is more than 5 meters away) or use a loud booming voice and look bigger by holding your arms out if the dog is more than a few meters away (only use these tricks if the dog is aggressive). A dog with the intention of attacking you would run straight at you at 40km/h  (usually without making a sound) and continue up to 4 meters away then leap at your torso, these are not the actions of a soi dog who might just circle you curiously while barking to alert other dogs to your presence rather than as a direct physical threat to you.

Once a dogs fighting/defence instinct is switched on it is more difficult to subdue. If in a fight with a dog the front legs are like chicken wings and quite easily broken, but the dog may be so fast its difficult to get hold of.

Honestly the easiest solution is to throw the dogs in your neighbourhood a few treats and you will then be considered a member of the pack even to the point of offering protection services. They also seem to have an uncanny knack of communicating to other dogs your previous ill-treatment of them and remembering who you are.

A daily walker of my dog/s for 7 months now. So far have have been bitten by two different dogs (stitches/rabies shots), and one of my dogs when 4-5 months old was bitten by 2 different dogs also. One was famous for biting everyone and when bit me got removed from the village. It is not uncommon where I am to have 5 or 6 dogs surround you in a circle barking, just need to keep your nerve and keep moving. 95% will leave you alone, another 4% will only bite in fear when your back is turned to them. The other 1 or less than 1% will probably not back down too easily as they are confident, 

As it stands now my dog has grown up, so even if the packs come charging/barking at us, just a look from my dog and they run in fear. My dog will read the other dogs body language as she is slowly maturing (12 months now so still a puppy), so if the dog is calm, she will let it come up to say hello for a split second and then we leave (to avoid any bugs jumping onto my dog or me). If the dog is showing signs of aggression, usually it may either be a quick growl and step forward from my dog, or she senses it is fake aggression and just stands proud whilst walking past. However, before that, I used either a long bamboo stick or a little taser (the sound surprises them enough). Seeing as most dogs have unfortunately beaten their whole lives, just a threat of a stick is usually enough to deter them. 

So if live without a dog, use a stick or something that surprises the dog (never hit the dog, just hit the ground). If live with a dog you will get a lot more attention so either make sure the dog will protect you or you are always aware of where each dog is. As even when you have passed a dog, they can always come running and bite your leg in fear. 

If nothing else works, put on your cat outfit and hiss a little bit......never get bitten again, but draw a few strange looks from locals.  If on motorbike, be sure to wear helmet so as not to get a fine

cat.jpg

Archived