That ban on riding in the back of pickups

Bangkok Barry

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Just put everyone is a ball, chip them and have them say baaaaa Bangkok Barry. The sky is not falling so no need for a band wagon.  I have seen plenty of road side deaths over the years. Only one haunts me. If someone is hurt then I will stop and help, and it is my belief if your time is up then it is up. do you really get out much? or just cry over the news? 

Absurd saying "if your time is up, then it is up". How can an accident mean your time is up? 

Accidents happen, there is no chronological calendar that predetermined that "your time was up". 

Cute prose but meaningless. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, neeray said:

Absurd saying "if your time is up, then it is up". How can an accident mean your time is up? 

Accidents happen, there is no chronological calendar that predetermined that "your time was up". 

Cute prose but meaningless. 

He's probably been here so long he now thinks like a Thai - my wife said that everyone is going to die anyway so road and any accident deaths are nothing to get upset about. Translation - we never need to take responsibility for ourselves or for anything as what will happen will happen. Result - nothing ever gets any better because no-one actually cares.

23 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

He's probably been here so long he now thinks like a Thai - my wife said that everyone is going to die anyway so road and any accident deaths are nothing to get upset about. Translation - we never need to take responsibility for ourselves or for anything as what will happen will happen. Result - nothing ever gets any better because no-one actually cares.

Agree with your wife on one level. Rhetoric back seat driving from your home arm chair is chivalrous but should illogical if the actual law is enforced to the highest. Be well!

On 5/11/2017 at 10:47 AM, holy cow cm said:

Just put everyone is a ball, chip them and have them say baaaaa Bangkok Barry. The sky is not falling so no need for a band wagon.  I have seen plenty of road side deaths over the years. Only one haunts me. If someone is hurt then I will stop and help, and it is my belief if your time is up then it is up. do you really get out much? or just cry over the news? 

He'll be crying trying to read this and work out what it means... 'everyone is a ball' 'chip them and have them say baaaa'... 

So when someone driving at 160km/h nudges you,  as you smash through the concrete barrier and you find yourself flying to your death "oh, it's my time now. Never mind."

On 5/8/2017 at 2:18 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Er, so what's gonna happen with the other 15 million kids in this country. Strap 'em all in Fortuners? 6 + driver per vehicle. You gonna pay for the "upgrades?

And by the way, i love my son more than anything on this planet. Aint gonna make me stop him doing normal stuff, like riding in the back of a pick up truck.

Best not get out of bed today, might be dangerous....

I seriously do hope that you never have to eat your words sir.

20 hours ago, ben2talk said:

He'll be crying trying to read this and work out what it means... 'everyone is a ball' 'chip them and have them say baaaa'... 

So when someone driving at 160km/h nudges you,  as you smash through the concrete barrier and you find yourself flying to your death "oh, it's my time now. Never mind."

Obvious you are just learning to talk as your try at twisting of my statement is illiterate. Yes, if I die it is my time. And yes I do as you arm chair Jockies would consider: Live Life On the Edge. You guys who seem to be Foreign Nerds who have moved here are way out of touch and out of whack. Ever been thrown off a horse or a Buffalo or jumped a motorcycle, or killed or touched a snake?  You probably consider eating durian a health threat. Your hypothetical hogwash is just that.... Hog wash. 

On 5/5/2017 at 7:03 PM, bapoboy said:

Why do you care what others are doing? If others do not use seat belts, helmets or sitting behind in a pick up it will have no impact on your life. Take care of yourself and shut up.

*drunk driving, reckless driving and highspeed driving is the problem 

Because it harms others around them...

And if you can't accept how things works in Thailand, pack your back and get hell out of here, or if you are a toruist stop coming here, go somewhere else, the only on that can do something abut what you don't like it's yourself.. the choice is your's.

Jesus what a dreadful post, sounds to me. Do you ever consider other people may not think like you,.

I find it extraordinary that there are some on here who are prepared to live a short life "on the edge" rather than a long life gained by not taking unnecessary risks. But that's me. I value my life more than to risk it on a quick thrill or knowingly put myself at risk and not care.

I find it extraordinary that there are some on here who are prepared to live a short life "on the edge" rather than a long life gained by not taking unnecessary risks. But that's me. I value my life more than to risk it on a quick thrill or knowingly put myself at risk and not care.

That is a huge difference between living life on the edge, and sitting on the edge of a pick up ready to fill in the path of the following vehicles.

We are simply discussing the level of acceptable risks, The people riding in the back of pick ups are mostly doing so out of necessity.

Sent from my nose.

21 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Obvious you are just learning to talk as your try at twisting of my statement is illiterate. Yes, if I die it is my time. And yes I do as you arm chair Jockies would consider: Live Life On the Edge. You guys who seem to be Foreign Nerds who have moved here are way out of touch and out of whack. Ever been thrown off a horse or a Buffalo or jumped a motorcycle, or killed or touched a snake?  You probably consider eating durian a health threat. Your hypothetical hogwash is just that.... Hog wash. 

It is your writing that is illiterate as I and others have no idea what you were writing in your earlier rant. But of course it is up to you if you selfishly want to put yourself at risk, with the consequences you might leave behind for your family. They might care more for your life than you appear to yourself. If you are not interested in self preservation then I suggest it is you that is out of whack.

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It is your writing that is illiterate as I and others have no idea what you were writing in your earlier rant. But of course it is up to you if you selfishly want to put yourself at risk, with the consequences you might leave behind for your family. They might care more for your life than you appear to yourself. If you are not interested in self preservation then I suggest it is you that is out of whack.

<removed> Go ahead and live in your bubble and keep spouting off your idiocies of changing Thailand to suit your needs and what you think is best. You are far better off in Singapore with your ludicrous thoughts that go against the normal Thai people on the great whole. We are not only just talking about the back of pick ups here, and the only grain of truth in this society of wanting this law comes only from the few people in the Junta running this country. This is going no-where and a total waste of my time even answering you. Time to get on my motorcycle and go to the mall now!! I will have my son ride me. And yes we both have licenses and are not scared of our shadows. I have been to Mount Everest have you!!!!

That's right. Mutual respect please, guys.

Holy Cow CM is a teacher with great skill and literacy is skilling to be taught in the students. He not being scared of his shadow on the great hole. have you!!!!!

10 hours ago, ben2talk said:

That's right. Mutual respect please, guys.

Holy Cow CM is a teacher with great skill and literacy is skilling to be taught in the students. He not being scared of his shadow on the great hole. have you!!!!!

Sorry ben(t), not a teacher. Judging by your comment, neither are you. For this topic I will say that sides of pick ups are dangerous and should not be allowed and this was never the butt of the debate. The photo is just a for instance photo Bangkok-b inserted to try and make his point for the law to be acceptable having full blanket range. Yes, I whole heartedly disagree with the the law on this as yet it is just another not well thought out law coming from the power(s) that be. I have another word for that word hole you wrote (purposely wrote), but it begins with an A for you. Hard way to gain mutual respect if this is infact the way you go about it by trying to be cute.

At the end of the day you , Bangkkbarry and myself will never agree, so best to lay this silly debate or tit for tat to rest as it is not positive and there are way more important things to do in life than stay on TV wasting tremendous amounts of time waiting to pass away. TV is great, don't get me wrong, but many of these forum discussions or opinions posted should have stayed in the OP's country as they seem they want the same values or misgivings there own country has after they moved here. If someone wants to change Thailand to be more refined, then they need to go back to their own country. Hypocritical in a sense, because the someone's who moved here loved the country enough to do so, but then fell discontent afterwards. Tis a shame! Thailand has been doing just fine without those many of chronic complainers. I once told an American guy (who incessantly complained about everything Thai's do) if you don't like it here why do you stay?, just leave and go back to your home.

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Sorry ben(t), not a teacher. Judging by your comment, neither are you. For this topic I will say that sides of pick ups are dangerous and should not be allowed and this was never the butt of the debate. The photo is just a for instance photo Bangkok-b inserted to try and make his point for the law to be acceptable having full blanket range. Yes, I whole heartedly disagree with the the law on this as yet it is just another not well thought out law coming from the power(s) that be. I have another word for that word hole you wrote (purposely wrote), but it begins with an A for you. Hard way to gain mutual respect if this is infact the way you go about it by trying to be cute.

At the end of the day you , Bangkkbarry and myself will never agree, so best to lay this silly debate or tit for tat to rest as it is not positive and there are way more important things to do in life than stay on TV wasting tremendous amounts of time waiting to pass away. TV is great, don't get me wrong, but many of these forum discussions or opinions posted should have stayed in the OP's country as they seem they want the same values or misgivings there own country has after they moved here. If someone wants to change Thailand to be more refined, then they need to go back to their own country. Hypocritical in a sense, because the someone's who moved here loved the country enough to do so, but then fell discontent afterwards. Tis a shame! Thailand has been doing just fine without those many of chronic complainers. I once told an American guy (who incessantly complained about everything Thai's do) if you don't like it here why do you stay?, just leave and go back to your home.

Sorry, I can't understand.

"For this topic I will say that sides of pick ups are dangerous and should not be allowed and this was never the butt of the debate. " You think that the sides of the pick ups should be banned? 

"At the end of the day you , Bangkkbarry and myself will never agree"

Well Bangkok Barry and myself agree on many things, though I do poke him for fun sometimes. At least I understand most of his English.

"just leave and go back to your home." is an interesting comment - one I used to hear targetted at dark-skinned English people who had homes in Birmingham. "Why don't you just get on a boat and pi55 off home" The answer usually being something like "There is no boat, but I could jump on the number 56 bus...".

Nothing is likely to change soon for the better. The hand at the top is passing decrees giving himself greater powers than ever in history to make sure power stays where it is.