Tourist SIM, any benefit?

Hi,

The wife got me a tourist SIM (True) but I am wondering if I need this type or just a "normal" SIM like a Thai would have? I need all the best promotion rates a Thai would have and International roaming for when I travel.

So far I notice only problem with tourist SIM is I cannot extend validity more than 3 months, whereas with normal SIM I can get a year. I haven't travelled yet so don't know if roaming will work in other countries?

So should I change to normal? What are the drawbacks of having a tourist SIM besides the 3 month extension limit.

Thanks

yep no benefit mine is restricted by 3 months as well (supposedly) but i did have one period of 4 and half months outside thailand and whilst credit was gone (the maximum 90 days) the sim was very much still connected to network. Topped up and on my way

I think they limit the max. validity to 90 days so they can rapidly recycle these?

You can convert the associated number to a "normal" SIM, then extend validity to 365 days, then subscribe to the voice and data plans of your choosing. You may be required to have some activity every 90 days (call, top-up)?

You have to enable international roaming. Not sure if there is a USSD command for this, or if you can do it on the web interface or Android app, or if you have to call 1331?

The Tourist SIM may still give direct access to 00600 low-cost international calling?

I bought a dtac tourist card a year or so ago and keep getting extensions, no problem. As of yesterday had it extended to April next year - the system seems to be that you have to buy a minimum amount of time for each month as I note them printing out about 10 receipts when I do it but I bung them 300 baht which covers the extension. For international I dial 004 then the country code. To check balance, it's *101*9#. Any other drama, dial 1678 and press 9 for English.

my dtac tourist sim allows me to call UK land lines for 1 baht a min, which is much cheaper than the regular sims i believe.  the lady said it would only be valid for 6 months tho, so i need to find a way to extend it

I got a AIS One to Call a couple years ago, Unlimited Internet, SMS, keep adding a bit and it gets extended out - new validity date is August 2018 as of last week.

To get one of those, don't you have to give them a set of finger prints, and iris scan, a DNA swab, and pee in a bottle?  
Me?  Don't know.  Haven't changed my SIM card in quite a few years, but I've heard stories...  :sleep:

4 hours ago, JJJIIIMMM said:

my dtac tourist sim allows me to call UK land lines for 1 baht a min, which is much cheaper than the regular sims i believe.  the lady said it would only be valid for 6 months tho, so i need to find a way to extend it

*113*number of days you need30, 90, 180*9#(Dial key)  2 baht, 6 baht and 12 baht respectively.

e.g. *113*180*9#(dial key) adds 180 days for 12 baht.

So make sure you have enough credit.

If you are due to go abroad and have no roaming signal, you can call DTAC and ask them to apply it for you.

4 hours ago, Bogbrush said:

I bought a dtac tourist card a year or so ago and keep getting extensions, no problem. As of yesterday had it extended to April next year - the system seems to be that you have to buy a minimum amount of time for each month as I note them printing out about 10 receipts when I do it but I bung them 300 baht which covers the extension. For international I dial 004 then the country code. To check balance, it's *101*9#. Any other drama, dial 1678 and press 9 for English.

24 baht max would have done it.....

2 hours ago, connda said:

To get one of those, don't you have to give them a set of finger prints, and iris scan, a DNA swab, and pee in a bottle?  
Me?  Don't know.  Haven't changed my SIM card in quite a few years, but I've heard stories...  :sleep:

I think that you additionally have to get a CRB now also.

2 hours ago, elgenon said:

When I return to the Kingdom can I change my sim (I want to keep my number) to a tourist sim. Is there an advantage?

Probably not.

Any advantages would depend on the provider I imagine.

The OP asked about TrueMove H Tourist SIMs, which seem to have different characteristics from AIS's and DTAC's Tourist SIMs. Specifically, for TrueMove H, theirs has a 90 max. expiry.

Obviously you should review the terms and conditions associated with your SIM promotion, and default package.

I think fingerprints may be required in the four restive southern provinces under martial law; honestly haven't stayed up on those unique regional requirements? I think this idea was scotched for the rest of the country, and/or "tourists" to aid in finding them if they became "lost".

Otherwise you just need to register a SIM with a Thai ID or passport.

I think DTAC, and AIS, have published USSD and IVR means for activating International Roaming. Their Android and web-based self-management applications offer the same capabilities.

For DTAC: 

Activate International Service
Direct Number (USSD) *118*9# 

IVR*1018  Press 9 Press 1

Deactivate International Service
Direct Number (USSD) *118*2*9# 

IVR*1018  Press 9 Press 1

Check International Service status
Direct Number (USSD) *118*3*9# 

IVR*1018  Press 9

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/happynumber.html

Edited by mtls2005

5 hours ago, elgenon said:

When I return to the Kingdom can I change my sim (I want to keep my number) to a tourist sim. Is there an advantage?

Sure, God loves a simmer.Let he who is without sim, cast the first stone, you are forgiven woman, now go, and sim no more.Bring to the boil, and sim for 10 minutes.When the red flag is flying on the beach, please do not sim.And so on.

Haa sh... !

Bought my first mobile (yes i know i know...) and opted quickly for a True sim... And it's a TOURIST SIM !

And i want to keep the number for banking etc. At least one year !

The girl, after my second visit, assured me it was no problem to extand to one year...

So ???

Truemove H 49 bahts Thailand tourist sim Pay as you go on the enveloppe...

Should it be ok ? I just don't want to lose the phone number after 3 month !!!

Please help ! Damn mobile phone mania :)

I see something scary on their website...

Upgrade options for Tourist SIM

And it's like 1000 bahts for 30 days ?!...

Edit... Not sure...

Nowhere i see a limit of 3 months, that's sound good ?

I just have to undestand the TopUp, but it's written : "get at least 30 days more validity for every top-up" on my enveloppe. So ten minimal top-up should give me a +10 months validity right ?

Edited by Sambotte

On 09/05/2017 at 5:14 PM, Sambotte said:

I see something scary on their website...

Upgrade options for Tourist SIM

And it's like 1000 bahts for 30 days ?!...

Edit... Not sure...

Nowhere i see a limit of 3 months, that's sound good ?

I just have to undestand the TopUp, but it's written : "get at least 30 days more validity for every top-up" on my enveloppe. So ten minimal top-up should give me a +10 months validity right ?

No...it won't extend beyond three months ahead, no matter how much you top up. You can just top up every month to keep it going.

Changing the promotion might work. http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topping/service_number_en.html

Otherwise you'll just have to remember to top up. Make sure Roaming is on and Data Roaming is off whilst abroad. Buy ten True Money card/slips before leaving and apply one each month.

You can also top up online here: http://hlife.truecorp.co.th/verify_otp_4g?ln=en

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 1:23 AM, JamJar said:

I just tried that wanting to switch from TOURIST SIM to a regular Thai package. No go. The access number to do it 9305 doesn't work and when I phoned them True told me the number is FIXED to TOURIST status for ever! I can extend for 90 days repeatedly.

5 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

I just tried that wanting to switch from TOURIST SIM to a regular Thai package. No go. The access number to do it 9305 doesn't work and when I phoned them True told me the number is FIXED to TOURIST status for ever! I can extend for 90 days repeatedly.

Now we know....

9 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

They must have a workaround for that.  Otherwise, just MNP the phone number to DTAC or AIS and be done with True.  Oh, wait, True is such a mess that they might not permit MNP on a Tourist SIM, but it might be worth checking into.

I went yesterday to a True commercial spot... I don't speak Thai so not sure about what i had, but like a transfert to another kind of contract lol... Supposedly permanent (not limited at 3 months), package with data and call, around 300 bahts per month, i paid the first. No credit card required. They took my adress and i should have a utility bill (witch i need somewhere else).

But so i think you can transform the tourist package to another...

5 hours ago, Sambotte said:

I went yesterday to a True commercial spot... I don't speak Thai so not sure about what i had, but like a transfert to another kind of contract lol... Supposedly permanent (not limited at 3 months), package with data and call, around 300 bahts per month, i paid the first. No credit card required. They took my adress and i should have a utility bill (witch i need somewhere else).

But so i think you can transform the tourist package to another...

Doesn't appear that you speak English either. :sorry:

You transferred to PostPaid??