Benefits marrying a Public Servant in Thailand

outofafrica

11 hours ago, outofafrica said:

Good on you mate. So that is why i'm doing all these investigations to find out which way to go. I want to make sure that i'm covered if ever i settle in Thailand. If one run's away from your country because of your criminal doings then obviously you don't consider that at all.

I took huge risks I guess. Moving so young I won't be entitled to a pension/super from my country unless I go back and live there for a few years before applying I think is how it works. So for it to work successfully in Thai I needed something. The pension my wife will get is higher than my country so it's no different from a farang marrying a non-government Thai (live off someone's pension either way). My wife accepted this before we made the decision.

Also in terms of salaries I'm not that far out. Yes, my salary will always be lower here, but I won't have the stress of paying off a 30 million plus baht house (which I would be doing back home).

Plus work here is a breeze compared to back home if you find a good employer (I'm on 30k with 12 contact hours so we  have time to do other private businesses). So it's possible to save. I haven't invested any of my money in things really, more on luxuries like my TV, sofa and mostly my daughter and dog. In laws have provided two cars for us.

The wife of the director of the District Office once told my wife, he's gone from an amazing country to Thailand so you shouldn't even expect him to work...educated Thai on the most part understand what you're giving up to live with them and generally their families respect you for that.

At least this topic is actually useful and all things Thai, rather than the rest of the garbage threads on here which is just moaning about bar girls taking guys money. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Adam Jones said:

Once you are sufficiently satisfied that you have a stable relationship with your Thai girlfriend then you might just consider marrying her. But make sure you are confident that marriage is for you before you enter into this serious business.

Here, in my opinion, are some of the advantages and disadvantages of being married to a Thai woman.

1.Security.
You will both gain a sense of security.

2. True Companionship.
You will have a woman who will always be there for you.

3. Aging.
You will have someone (quite a bit younger than you) to take care of you in the later years of your life

4. Intimacy.
Someone with whom you can share your deepest and darkest secrets.

5. Society.
You and your wife will appear morally correct in the eyes of society and the general public.

Points 1, 2 and 4 have nothing to do with anything as why marry someone, if these things aren't there in the first place. 

I don't understand how one countries women can be so different from another countries. Individual families and personal life experiences form a personality, not a countries government. If that was the case then every single Thai woman would be exactly the same, and every Australian would be the same, every English woman etc etc etc. It is just not the case. All you need to do is have a relatively normal conversation with more than just one person to realise this. 

What does being seen as 'morally correct' even mean? 

Also not every guy has 'daughter' issues so needs to marry someone as young as his daughter. I married someone two years older than me. Her nationality had nothing to do with why I married her, all it has had to do with is where we decided to live. 

On 5/9/2017 at 0:53 AM, colinneil said:

Are you sure of your facts???

My wife is a school director, and after reading your post, i asked her about giving teachers a job.

Her answer was NO, only the area education office can do that, as a director i do not have the authority to do that.

Well, exactly what her status was i am not sure, but she did get one of those cheap mortgages teachers can get to buy a house. Although maybe the director does a deal with the area education office? I have heard many similar stories, including some from my sister-in-law (also a teacher), but of course verifying them is near impossible. Maybe not so corrupt down your way? The girl in question was extremely honest, never asked me for a satang.

So a question about the medical benefits if the foreign husband is or turns 65.  Are there any age limits, or restrictions, or crazy premium increases as one hits 65 or 70, similar to what I hear the insurance companies there do to foreigners that have their own policies there.

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

So a question about the medical benefits if the foreign husband is or turns 65.  Are there any age limits, or restrictions, or crazy premium increases as one hits 65 or 70, similar to what I hear the insurance companies there do to foreigners that have their own policies there.

I am almost 70, and still receive the same care as before, as far as i am aware age does not matter.

8 hours ago, rickudon said:

Well, exactly what her status was i am not sure, but she did get one of those cheap mortgages teachers can get to buy a house. Although maybe the director does a deal with the area education office? I have heard many similar stories, including some from my sister-in-law (also a teacher), but of course verifying them is near impossible. Maybe not so corrupt down your way? The girl in question was extremely honest, never asked me for a satang.

Maybe she'es either a permanent employee (most a temps) or maybe she a half-government official. So rather than an employee salary, it is slightly higher as it rises each year and she got a promotion the bank was offering. However, it doesn't come with the other benefits. The only benefit it has is that if you do pass the test they count the years that you were a half-official. A bank could possibly give her a small loan on  the fact her salary is twice as high as an employee and her job is more stable. Corruption is usually in the form of tens of thousands people apply for only 60 positions. Someone passes the test but doesn't get in the top 60, so they may pay, the next day it is changed to 61 available positions. Usually that is in the super contested jobs. And it isn't local directors involved, it is the big, big bosses. There are countless of people who will move to the sticks to get a government job, because they only have to stay there for a couple of years and theyre set for life. 

You also must remember the people that do not get the job or pass the tests are the ones who complain about the only reason they cant is because of corruption. The farang bar in my city, the owner always complains about his cousin not getting in because of that. I asked my wife to verify that sort of situation and she said you cant be corrupt in his instance. From my understanding, and the situation she is in, i think she has bullshitted because she couldn't pass the test. Asking/not asking for money doesn't verify honesty in Thailand, many Thais bullshit about why their life circumstances are the way they are. Most often than not it was just other people studied harder than they did or are more naturally gifted. But blaming corruption still keeps everyone on an equal field rather than admitting other people beat them.

Edited by wildewillie89

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

A foreign husband gets free medical until the day he dies. If his wife dies before him, the government will pay him the wife's retired salary x 30 in a large sum of money. I previously mentioned that went to the children, however i was speaking in my case as i would give it to my children, legally it goes to the husband.

In terms of comparing it to the private sector (many private jobs such as private school teachers get health benefits), the difference is usually the private sector only chooses 2 private hospitals close to the workplace you must go to (so if it's a crappy hospital then bad luck), also the cover naturally finishes when you retire. It covers partner and children. 

19 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

A foreign husband gets free medical until the day he dies. If his wife dies before him, the government will pay him the wife's retired salary x 30 in a large sum of money. I previously mentioned that went to the children, however i was speaking in my case as i would give it to my children, legally it goes to the husband.

thanks

17 hours ago, Elkski said:

As you can see this is quite a valuable benefit.  May make a reason for marriage?  After 5 year test run.  

I'll tell you what, it certainly is something to consider. Not that money and benefits are the way to pick a mate, but... To me, marriage is a symbiotic relationship.  Each person brings something.  If she is relatively content with her job, and I am maybe tutoring or teaching math and science and engineering on the side to keep me from being too bored and fully retired, I can picture a lot of good things.  Medical is a strong consideration going forward

It should be noted though that not all of these government official women are of moral standards. I work with many and naturally 90% of my friends within the country are all government officials (as all of my family are government so i get introduced naturally). No matter what age, they are not all seeking moral relationships. Money is still a factor to live an even better life than they are (and have a higher standing in society). My colleagues are always asking me or the older ones my father when he came if he has friends for that very reason, so it is important to make sure you do marry for love, otherwise you marrying for benefits will soon turn into her marrying for benefits also.

One of my wife's friend's friend who we also know just lied to a guy about not being able to get pregnant so he would get her pregnant. She with her group also are constantly requesting gifts and wanting to travel all of the time (on the guys money) and tell my wife she is unlucky that I dont do that. But the point is my wife had someone move for her, she didnt have to sleep with many people and lie to them to get them to stay. So just be careful, make sure the benefits are a last factor. 

4 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

It should be noted though that not all of these government official women are of moral standards. I work with many and naturally 90% of my friends within the country are all government officials (as all of my family are government so i get introduced naturally). No matter what age, they are not all seeking moral relationships. Money is still a factor to live an even better life than they are (and have a higher standing in society). My colleagues are always asking me or the older ones my father when he came if he has friends for that very reason, so it is important to make sure you do marry for love, otherwise you marrying for benefits will soon turn into her marrying for benefits also.

One of my wife's friend's friend who we also know just lied to a guy about not being able to get pregnant so he would get her pregnant. She with her group also are constantly requesting gifts and wanting to travel all of the time (on the guys money) and tell my wife she is unlucky that I dont do that. But the point is my wife had someone move for her, she didnt have to sleep with many people and lie to them to get them to stay. So just be careful, make sure the benefits are a last factor. 

Thai people are generally pretty generous people on the whole. If they ever request gifts, money, or even dont offer to pay half/half when dating, I would steer clear from them. From my experience dating or even just friendships before my wife with Thai people in Thailand and back with Thais living in Australia, I would say that more often than not the girl has either offered to pay in full or half half. A lot of that depends on whom you meet (Thais who can study abroad are pretty well off obviously). So as a government official or private employee for that matter has enough money, expect her to be offering/paying her share. 4 plus years of dating the wife (when she had a beginners salary), she never once expected me to pay for anything. She saved hard and worked extra hours to pay for her trip to Melbourne. She even refused to let me pay 8 baht bus tickets to places (the psycho keeps every ticket we have ever bought in a little shoe box lol). 

Thai husband finds 25 yr old gf. Wife at 40 divorces him.   Maybe lack of sex was partly to blame.  Understandable when 35 yr old Mom has rising career, 2  young kids, seeking masters.  45 yr old Thai man has his now 30 yr old tart, maybe new kids.  Mom buckled down as soul support for kids,. Gets masters is now 45 has time and past knowledge for new relationship.  Pension in 5 years and nice for a 57 yr old like me. Or do I consider a 45 yr old with no real career?  Might as well go for a 35 yr old.      

If pension is 20-40 k that's great feeling for a woman.  That means more money for other things, travel, car, etc.   Plus this health coverage.    It means a guy may feel like he has a 10-20% more comfortable cushion.  But nothing should be counted on.   These women do usually have a house or 2.  Maybe some property.  Usually more govt workers in the family.  

Negative thing is if they have 5 years till they can get it they can't just quit and move to where you want to live.   This comes into play if man is the age he wants to travel and do things.   But most Thai women seem to be ok if their man takes trips alone.  

Edited by Elkski

8 hours ago, Elkski said:

Thai husband finds 25 yr old gf. Wife at 40 divorces him.   Maybe lack of sex was partly to blame.  Understandable when 35 yr old Mom has rising career, 2  young kids, seeking masters.  45 yr old Thai man has his now 30 yr old tart, maybe new kids.  Mom buckled down as soul support for kids,. Gets masters is now 45 has time and past knowledge for new relationship.  Pension in 5 years and nice for a 57 yr old like me. Or do I consider a 45 yr old with no real career?  Might as well go for a 35 yr old.      

If pension is 20-40 k that's great feeling for a woman.  That means more money for other things, travel, car, etc.   Plus this health coverage.    It means a guy may feel like he has a 10-20% more comfortable cushion.  But nothing should be counted on.   These women do usually have a house or 2.  Maybe some property.  Usually more govt workers in the family.  

Negative thing is if they have 5 years till they can get it they can't just quit and move to where you want to live.   This comes into play if man is the age he wants to travel and do things.   But most Thai women seem to be ok if their man takes trips alone.  

The issue is not the benefits so much, the issue is the actual woman. As mentioned earlier Thai government officials are not automatically more moral than women without a career. I know quite a few government women (older colleagues and also young friends) I would not trust at all and every time they ask my wife's family for help it is always denied for this very reason. They go through men like no tomorrow in search of whatever their individual thing is (injection of funds, farang baby, whatever). Government officials are a higher 'class' in society, however, unless they are of a very high rank then they need a lot more money to move up in society. From my experience, very high ranks trump money, but money trumps every other rank. Which seems to be a stupid thing to us, but important thing for many Thai so many will do anything to achieve this 'face'. 

So benefits should not always be at the forefront of your mind, as if you choose purely for that and don't fully learn the woman, you will be kicked aside if something better comes along. And something better will always come along. Takes time to understand women I think, many women have the same story (like the one above - you hear it a lot when dating), but some will have subtle hints that imply somethings up. I was in my young 20s (27 now) when i was searching so if i am hearing it from women in their 40s, you know somethings up haha. I would suggest getting to know her friends/siblings and what type of people they are more so. My wife's best friend is actually my best friend now, she told me most things about my wife - as my wife likes to keep her family quiet so never really gave much. They say you need a good support network, i would say her best friend helped us a lot and helped me trust a lot (considering the stories you hear and some money hungry girls you talk to when dating).

Biggest example of this was Sin Sord. I used to talk to a girl, who was very rich, she expected Sin Sord to cover her family expenses of her from when she was born. "It is culture". haha. We have all heard it I am sure. My wife was different, obviously being the daughter of a high ranking army official and her already being a director of a department at 28, the society expected a big Sin Sord. I do not agree with this, also I don't have any money. The family devised a plan where we did a fake Christian ceremony in the morning and the big hotel ceremony at night. That bypassed having to do the Sin Sord, and they just spread a number for people to gossip about to save the cultural 'face'. - I guess another benefit, if the family actually have salaries to begin with, they won't be so keen on a dowry. 

Also I doubt many Thai people will want to live where a 'farang' wants to live when they retire (what retiree really wants to live in a big city - if that's what you're thinking). She may say she does, but if she's living there just to make you happy, then friction will eventually occur. Rural prices are going up these days (where I live anyway), as government officers from Bangkok are buying to retire here. By rural i don't mean the sticks, i am surrounded by farm land, but only 8 minute drive from your cities HomePro, Global, Macro, Big C, Tesco, markets, bars etc. So don't automatically expect if you want to live in a main big city, she will too. Generally it is considered a waste of money to many Thai (unless they're very well off). Also especially, if she has worked hard to build a house and her now older family live nearby, who she needs to look after.

Maybe it is a good test, live in the place where she works for 5 years to see how it goes...as if you don't like the place but the relationship stays strong then it should last the time. I don't think any Thai women like their men travelling alone, many of my female Thai friends are constantly complaining to the Mrs and I how the husband/boyfriend always goes on trips alone. Government people have more chances of holidays compared to non-government, so in the wife's mind there is no reason for you to travel alone so much, she thinks you're not here on holiday, you're here to live. Just another friction causer.

Edited by wildewillie89

• 4 months later...

Probably will come in next year or year after, but they have just increased the amounts the government will give officials for rent/home loan if their first workplace was outside their home province. The first two years are low interest, and then every other year is .75% lower than the full government banks rate (which is lower than more commercial banks anyway). So as the Mrs loan repayments will probably be around 8,000 per month, and she will receive 5,000 - 6,000 as of next year moving forward, so she is pretty well set now for paying off her 3 bedroom house. 

Amounts are based on salary level:

C2-C5 if salary 7,000-15,000 will get 2,500; if salary 15,000-18,000 will get 3,000; if salary 18,000 up will get 4,000 (per month)

C6-C7 if 13,000-17,000 will get 3,000; If salary 17,000-25,000 will get 4,000; If salary 25,000-34,000 will get 5,000; if salary 34,000 up will get 6,000 (per month)

C8,C9 the highest rent is 6,000 regardless of salary (per month)...

However, if used on a home loan, these amounts will only cover the officials first home loan. Any other loan they will not receive the payments per month.

Not sure if covered in the thread but as well as the family getting a payout, the government will also put money towards the funeral. So it will be the pension amount x 3. So for example, the Mrs did the figures just recently as nearly all entitled officials did with the news of the rent payments. 

She expects to have a pension of around 45,000 per month (passed the test rather early for her particular ministry and looks like will be C8 at 36 years of age). So if she dies the government will put 135,000 baht towards the funeral. On top of that the husband (family if I am dead) will receive 750,000 baht. But that is after her 200,000 large sum at 60 and 400,000 large sum at 65 is subtracted.