PM scolds student activist for plan to change university’s prostration custom

rooster59

Kudos to the young lad.

Seems intelligent and has a pair of balls.

Thailand needs  more young people like him.

Stand up and be counted.

Hopefully this is just a start of things to come...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thai society is a feudal hierarchical one that needs to modernise. Rama the 5th was a very wise ruler, this young man is merely following his wisdom, the PM wants people to continue to grovel and wai to people based not on character or worth, but on social status which is usually based on wealth and connections. There is a bit of hope for the future, but not with the PM's wishes.

2 hours ago, SABloke said:

It's more impressive that senior students voted for a junior. It shows that the students at Chula might be more progressive than the elders thought. :) They're throwing the whole issue of automatic age and status related subservience out the window. >_>

So let's see...is Big P willing to throw a 1st year uni student in jail? Takinh bets....

Good insight. It's not about the kid, it's what he represents and to who. His position is a statement made by others.

Of course the predictable old toads don't have any viable fingers to plug the dam.

“He should respect the rules of the country," [...] Netiwit wrote. “By staging the coup, he did not abide by the rules.”

Awful news for Prayuth, an open expression from a Thai citizen that what he did was illegal and his 'authority' is illegitimate. The junta are officially backed into a corner with nowhere to go as long as it continues.

Basically, a potential foreshadowing that certain toady families are going to need as much of their grubby money as possible to finance their inevitable, upcoming days in court.

Ouch.

Actually, what is most surprising is that Chula still allows student elections (while they are basically "on hiatus" throughout the rest of the country) and that the school administration couldn't think of some technicality to prevent him from standing, such as his "controversial" past behavior and the sensitive mourning period, etc...

3 hours ago, SABloke said:

It's more impressive that senior students voted for a junior. It shows that the students at Chula might be more progressive than the elders thought. :) They're throwing the whole issue of automatic age and status related subservience out the window. >_>

So let's see...is Big P willing to throw a 1st year uni student in jail? Takinh bets....

Them wabbits is getting uppity

3 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Good traditions need to be preserved. As long as activists like that will try to abolish traditions and push progessive cancers under the name of "equality", Thai people are not ready for a democratic government, and we need Prayut to continue what he's doing.

Who decides what are "good traditions"?  Why not let the people of Thailand decide whether or not they are ready for democracy?  And on the contrary, Prayut is dragging the country into an abyss, which will inevitably end in violence unless he's smart enough to exit stage left asap.  But here lies the problem.  He isn't.  Every single time he opens his mouth he demonstrates that he is a severely intellectually challenged individual.  He could not be trusted to organise a birthday party, let alone run a country.  As for referring to himself as a soldier, this quite ridiculous.  He's never seen a battlefield in his life and wouldn't know what to do if he did.   It's not surprising the a first-year undergraduate can make him look like the little simpleton that he is.  And to all those here on TV that worship the little dictator, no I'm not a red-shirt.  I know how difficult that will be for you to accept, but I cast my opinion with impartiality regarding the colour of your t-shirt.

Edited by stephen tracy

2 hours ago, halloween said:

Your assumption that the members of the student council are truly representative of the students in general suggests that you have little knowledge of university life. As a rule,most if not all of the student council members will be low effort arts degree students who aspire to a political career.  Those enrolled in more demanding courses and others trying to pay for their own education by working, are usually far too busy to be involved in student council.

Not sure what university you attended but what you're saying was not the case at my university.  I think you simply can't stand the fact that specky, young undergraduate has made the general look an arse... not that he doesn't do grand job of that all by himself. 

4 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Not sure what university you attended but what you're saying was not the case at my university.  I think you simply can't stand the fact that specky, young undergraduate has made the general look an arse... not that he doesn't do grand job of that all by himself. 

Quite likely different eras and countries. Prayuth needs no help in that regard, he can mange easily on his own, but I am far from overawed by first year university students still too young to realise they don't know everything, and having a highly over-inflated sense of self esteem.

My assessment of whether the coup was necessary is certainly not affected by his simplistic statement that Prayuth broke the rules, something that Netiwit has no problems with doing when he considers it appropriate.

2 minutes ago, halloween said:

Quite likely different eras and countries. Prayuth needs no help in that regard, he can mange easily on his own, but I am far from overawed by first year university students still too young to realise they don't know everything, and having a highly over-inflated sense of self esteem.

My assessment of whether the coup was necessary is certainly not affected by his simplistic statement that Prayuth broke the rules, something that Netiwit has no problems with doing when he considers it appropriate.

I don't understand what rule Netiwit broke.  I thought prostrating before a sculpture was just a tradition rather than actual rule.

23 minutes ago, halloween said:

Get over your prejudice, the voting age in Thailand is 18 and that's a recognition of the young knowing enough to elect their leaders. In the sense, Netiwit is right that Prayut broke the rule and in some country is treason. 

Just got to wonder when was the last time Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha Prayut did that prostrate thing? and why, to whom or for whom? 

Those old traditions of the university include where the students do battle with chains, knives, and now guns with other student bodies?

Just got to wonder when was the last time Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha Prayut did that prostrate thing? and why, to whom or for whom? 
Those old traditions of the university include where the students do battle with chains, knives, and now guns with other student bodies?

Well pretty recently at many of the religious ceromonies at the Grand Palace at the moment. I don't see any problem in prostrating. To Muslims it's part of their religion.

32 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Well pretty recently at many of the religious ceromonies at the Grand Palace at the moment. I don't see any problem in prostrating. To Muslims it's part of their religion.

Yeah, mass prostrating, it's disgusting,ought to be banned

6 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Good traditions need to be preserved. As long as activists like that will try to abolish traditions and push progessive cancers under the name of "equality", Thai people are not ready for a democratic government, and we need Prayut to continue what he's doing.

So prostrating yourself before an inanimate object is a good tradition? Its a lump of metal. May as well prostrate yourself before a telephone box. Ask those who are prostrating themselves whether in their hearts they want to do it and many would say no but do it because they are afraid of repercussions.

Any "tradition" which is built out of fear is not a tradition worth preserving.   

2 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

So is the genital mutilation of children and a "divine duty to wage jihad against infidels".  Besides, Muslims prostrate during prayer to illustrate their subjugation to a divine being, ie. God. Are statues of kings and/or politicians worthy of the same reverence? 

12 hours ago, tomta said:

A week or so ago, he was saying in regards to the stolen plaque that we need to forget about history and keep movong forward. BUt I guess the plaque is bad history.

Being the PM his definition of history is the only one that matters. 

I read somewhere, I'm sure, prostration had be abolished, many years ago, but was always, and still am, amazed to see it still being activity carried out. I regarded the action of prostitution as merely a part of the stereo typical culture, the blind leading the bond as such, and that it was an individuals choice to either prostrate or not.

Maybe I'm from a different time zone or planet? 555! I wish I were at times!

Ok, it's considered a sign of respect, but is it really necessary? Are people to act like slaves? Should we not treat each other in a more equal way rather than be forced to act in a subservient fashion? This is the 21st century, not the dark ages!

Prostration is a form of submission, which some individuals may consider as being inappropriate, rude or degrading, which I can understand. But what do I know?

Respect can be shown/given in many other forms/ways.

To not prostrate does not imply a person is being disrespectful, far from it. After all, we all have a certain amount of dignity and pride for ourselves. Why should a person feel a lesser mortal than another? Don't we all breath the same air? Experience much the same as each other during our short existence on this planet? After all, every living thing is simply passing-by, during its very short life span...

Humans have created a very sad world to live on. Look at how we treat one another...[emoji17]

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

13 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

I think the anti-democracy posters can't get any more ridiculous, then SiamBeast comes along.

How is prostrating oneself before a statue of a king preparation for democracy?

14 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

I hope that is sarcasm