Phuket’s Nai Harn Lake to undergo renovations

rooster59

Phuket’s Nai Harn Lake to undergo renovations

Chutharat Plerin

1494049604_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: The Mayor of Rawai has revealed that Nai Harn Lake and its surroundings are to undergo a renovations to improve the area.

Rawai Mayor Aroon Solos said, “Nai Harn Lake has not been renovated for over 10 years so we believe it is time to renovate the area to make it more attractive for residents and tourists.

“The renovation project will see bicycle, walking and running lanes installed which will be separated from traffic lanes,” he said.

“We are considering using a budget from the central government or the municipality for this project but we will decide upon this once the designs have been drawn up.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-nai-harn-lake-to-undergo-renovations-62074.php#RK4UIJTfDSfSzguz.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-05-07

It is my opinion that this is a pointless waste of money. The lake area, and adjacent beach area, is picture perfect region of Phuket, one that already gets used by many fitness fanatics. Why must everything become so sterile !? Maybe the Mayor should spend public money on prettying up the Rawai Beach commercial strip instead. 

It is my opinion that this is a pointless waste of money. The lake area, and adjacent beach area, is picture perfect region of Phuket, one that already gets used by many fitness fanatics. Why must everything become so sterile !? Maybe the Mayor should spend public money on prettying up the Rawai Beach commercial strip instead. 

I agree about the Rawai commercial strip but I think the money should be used to dredge around the pier to actually make it useful. It's the biggest white elephant. It's basically a decoration that nobody uses besides local fisherman. Send all the speed boats there and leave the beach strip free of vultures.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

When's the last time you were down there? In November/December they built a huge office right opposite the beach which was fully operating in February this year -catering exclusively to Chinese tour groups. There are literally hundreds of Chinese at every moment of the day shuffling down to the beach to get on speedboat. I was upgraded to one of the best hotels/resorts in that area, and even half the reception staff there were either Chinese or spoke the language. So the area is definitely being used 

But you're right in some ways. For Farang, it's a pretty dead place. I would usually take a nightly walk from the beach up to Laguna, stopping off for a beer at a random bar, and most of the bars on both the Rawai Beach strip and the road to Chalong are DEAD. I have no idea how they do business actually. One night I was in a bar across from the beach all evening (with some Thai aquaintances) and I was the only farang customer from 7pm until 1am. 

I always wondered what the hell that pier was for, I've not seen a single big boat use it. 

As much as it's been my go-to place for a while when I'm in Phuket, Rawai really does feel run down and faded. What I once admired for sleepy charm, I now find fairly bloody boring, and I think my days of visiting Rawai (or even Phuket actually) have come to an end. 

When's the last time you were down there? In November/December they built a huge office right opposite the beach which was fully operating in February this year -catering exclusively to Chinese tour groups. There are literally hundreds of Chinese at every moment of the day shuffling down to the beach to get on speedboat. I was upgraded to one of the best hotels/resorts in that area, and even half the reception staff there were either Chinese or spoke the language. So the area is definitely being used 

But you're right in some ways. For Farang, it's a pretty dead place. I would usually take a nightly walk from the beach up to Laguna, stopping off for a beer at a random bar, and most of the bars on both the Rawai Beach strip and the road to Chalong are DEAD. I have no idea how they do business actually. One night I was in a bar across from the beach all evening (with some Thai aquaintances) and I was the only farang customer from 7pm until 1am. 

I always wondered what the hell that pier was for, I've not seen a single big boat use it. 

As much as it's been my go-to place for a while when I'm in Phuket, Rawai really does feel run down and faded. What I once admired for sleepy charm, I now find fairly bloody boring, and I think my days of visiting Rawai (or even Phuket actually) have come to an end. 

The water is too shallow to make use of their pier. It's really baffling that this wasn't worked out before building it.
They have to dredge the bay or it will continue to rot.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, FarSeas said:

For Farang, it's a pretty dead place. I would usually take a nightly walk from the beach up to Laguna, stopping off for a beer at a random bar, and most of the bars on both the Rawai Beach strip and the road to Chalong are DEAD

You must be some athlete! 

Over 40kms every night and still finding time to have a beer on the way!

I don't think I've walked that far in my life

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

You must be some athlete! 

Over 40kms every night and still finding time to have a beer on the way!

I don't think I've walked that far in my life

haha, no - Laguna is only 1kms from Rawai Beach, 2kms tops

13 hours ago, FarSeas said:

I partly agree.  I lived there and made regular use of the lagoon for biking and running as do many many others.  I grew used to the dingy grimy-ness of it and maybe the money could be better spent.  I have to say though that there is lots of exposed electrical wires and the walkway is all uneven tiles making running on them dangerous.  The roadway is open to cars all the way around making it dangerous to ride a bike or run in the road.  If they do refurbish it they should close one of the lanes to cars and motorbikes and make the remaining single lane a one way loop around the water leaving the other lane for cyclists and runners.  They did a nice job with the bike lanes at Phuket Provincial Commemoration Public Park except that it is unfortunately totally overrun by walkers and runners making it dangerous for everyone but it wouldn't be Thailand if death was not lurking around every corner.  The area including the beach has massive potential and could really enhance the islands image if it was cleaned up and monitored regularly.