Four killed as pickup rams into rescue workers assisting injured biker

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

That is most certainly a scene of absolute carnage. One wonders why the pick up never saw the ambulance. It is standard procedure for them at every accident to have the flashing lights going. RIP to the good people trying to help who have lost their lives.

Maths problem, the truck hit 6 workers, killed 4 and injured three. That makes 7.

Maybe they were in a blind spot obscured by his beer bottle. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, smedly said:

Speeding - Drunk - using mobile or any combination

Very sad indeed 

some will say TiT - sorry but that doesn't excuse blatant stupidity and ignorance of the law. 

RIP

Speeding - Drunk - using mobile or any combination, do not forget drug use...

And do not forget this would not have happened had not the Motor cyclist crashed in the first place... was he tested?

Edited by Basil B

4 minutes ago, transam said:

:clap2:.......You know that, I know that, but the folk who control that stuff ain't got a clue or don't care.

yes exactly, people tasked to improve Thailands road safety simply have absolutely no idea of the reason it is happening or what actions to take to improve things and they will refuse to bring in outside help

Part of the problem is also that those tasked with law enforcement or improving the safety on Thai roads are also law breakers - they like the fact that they can go out and get pissed and drive home - they can drive at whatever speed they like - they can have a line conversation while driving ................... they like it like that, there is no pressure on those tasked to improve things - they will not be fired - they will continue with their huge salaries and pensions no matter how badly they fail

3 hours ago, Essaybloke said:

Oops, here we go again- time for stupid (negative) generalizations about Thai people!  :sleepy:

I too hate negative generalizations...  BUT... this one was pretty close to the mark...  

....In general, the drivers in Thailand do not plan head, they tend not to look too far ahead and read the road... And, there is very little concept of danger or consequence.... 

....this is not a Thai bash, its a bash against the majority of road users in Thailand and one which is difficult to refute given the road accident and fatality statistics.

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

Tragic absolutely tragic, people going out to help others and get killed by a possible speeding driver.

Hope the pickup driver was giving the breath bag.

One thing that amazes me here, is they never seem to put up warning signals far enough back from accidents for other motorists to see.

Yes and nobody standing upstream with a warning torch or flag, a tragedy and worse still preventable. 

RIP the workers and Condolences to their families. 

According to the BKP this morning, warning lights were placed on the road and when the pickup driver was checked at the hospital he was over the alcohol limit. However, at that time he was unable to talk to police. Police apparently said empty bottles of beer were found in the truck and the driver would be charged with reckless driving and causing death.

This is a tragic and absolute waste of young healthy lives. My condolences to the families.

6 minutes ago, rosst said:

Yes and nobody standing upstream with a warning torch or flag, a tragedy and worse still preventable. 

RIP the workers and Condolences to their families. 

Perhaps they would have been taken out too...This is Thailand, no traffic cops out there, do what you like........That's why carnage...

23 hours ago, colinneil said:

Tragic absolutely tragic, people going out to help others and get killed by a possible speeding driver.

One thing that amazes me here, is they never seem to put up warning signals far enough back from accidents for other motorists to see.

A drunk driver would probably not see warning signals unless he crashed into them

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

Maybe they were in a blind spot obscured by his beer bottle. 

Six workers = four workers killed, two injured, plus the motorcyclist = three injured...

Comment from Darksidedog.

is that all you can say in this tragic accident. 4 killed & 3 injured that makes 7.

there have been 4 people killed and 3 injured and all you can comment on is a mathematical problem. Good god man.

On 5/7/2017 at 4:12 PM, NCC1701A said:

After watching what goes on here in Thailand I have come to the conclusion that Thai people secretly love this sort of thing. I know many will argue with me, but I believe they have this fascination with death and destruction.

They just love to create situations like this were even more carnage happens and they sort of push the envelope whenever they can. Like sitting next to a race track hoping the flying debris from a giant crash lands all around you killing everyone except yourself.

I think it has to do with believing they are somehow protected by Buddha (or some variation of that) and that is what determines the outcome these accidents. Not the placement of road flares, cones, or even those cheap super bright LED lights placed on the highway. 

And those who survive have had the belief system validated.

did you forget to take your medication this morning?

your 2nd paragraph implies the driver did it on purpose. a daft comment really dont you think?

On 7 May 2017 at 3:34 PM, ezzra said:

Basic assistant rendered to a road accident has to start with securing the parameter

of the accident area with red cones and lights and people to direct traffic around

the spot where the crew are working to help, non of the above ever has been set

up to the best of my knowledge and from what I saw in other road accidents...

In other countries rescue workers are trained to take safety into account at the scene of all accidents !    But hey! This is Amazing Thailand!  

So sad to see innocent rescue people die because they haven't been given some sort of basic safety training.

On 5/7/2017 at 5:17 PM, smedly said:

Speeding - Drunk - using mobile or any combination

Very sad indeed 

some will say TiT - sorry but that doesn't excuse blatant stupidity and ignorance of the law. 

RIP

well said

11 hours ago, Moti24 said:

Maths problem solved...

Six rescue workers, pickup driver, policeman and motorcyclist makes 9; 7 into 9 still leaves 2 lucky people.  

Why are there always a shit-load of bystanders at these accidents; ****in ghouls.  It's as though they're all waiting so they can get some entertainment in their lives.

R I P to the 4 dead, and I hope Karma takes care of the pickup driver.

Good question

Maybe they want to test their courage and learn if they can "stomach" all the blood and guts....and then they have a: 'I  saw a gruesome accident"  carnage story to tell everyone and explained in gory detail.

Same as why do people like to watch gruesome blood and guts war movies all the time and all the old war documentary films and disaster documentary films and horrifying disaster movies and Hollywood movies about the end of the world and Killer Zombie movies and disturbing serial killer movies and chain saw massacre movies ...and....they pay good money to see that sick stuff...geez...

I wonder why...I do, I do  

Cheers

On 5/7/2017 at 2:29 PM, colinneil said:

I cannot pass this thread without a comment.  'Warning signals' are must.

Those of us who've driven these roads time and time again are seeing a worsening of basic roads rules, particularly dealing with signage,  speed and condition of vehicles.

SIGNAGE:  Flashing ambulance lights are not enough.  Highly visible signs complete with more flashing lights (if deemed necessary but especially at night) should be applied by the traffic police attending such accidents.  The priority is to ensure safety first, before gawking at the dead.   Stop the traffic until such signs or police guidance is in place.  If there are two lanes,  indications well back requiring joining these lanes MUST be applied.   AND, this applies to ROAD WORKS OR ANY HAZARD that could endanger drivers and passengers.

SPEED:  What can I say?  Perhaps 'Speed kills' should be enough but there is not substitute for regular radar or other means to catch offenders.  The increased 'ground school' now in place for new licenses is a place to begin but with out effective oversight this will not work.  But also, again, SIGNAGE.  Get those GOOD QUALITY SPEED LIMIT SIGNS up AND ensure regular oversight. 

VEHICLES:   (may not be applicable to this carnage) Window film:  Get rid of any film above 40% on the front side windows and windscreen.  Night driving is dangerous.  Tail lights:  Standardise Red Tail and braking lights.  I am seeing blue (and red, and WHITE for goodness sake) flashing brake lights which are hazardous to those following behind.   This can be easily policed at the time of renewing registrations and insurance.   And are the car manufacturers producing these anomalies or are they installed by locals?  If they are legal here, we're all in trouble... what will be next?  

RIP those victims of this accident.

On 5/7/2017 at 8:29 AM, colinneil said:

The only bag needed her would be a strong plastic bag offered up to the correct area of said drivers anatomy

Just now, oldlakey said:

I have just placed a bet of 100 quid at even money that Thailand finally realises its potential and becomes number one in 2017

To those of you who are about to make me 100 quid better off R I P

16 hours ago, Fulwell53 said:

'Thai people never plan' :sad:

I have told you a million times not to exaggerate.

A Tragic incident that could have been prevented but then again so could the herald of free enterprise etc etc.

The incessant need on here to turn anything into another thai bashing thread is bewildering.

I Despair at the lives some people must lead.

Yes you are correct my friend, if the doors had been fully closed before she put to sea then she would not have become the biggest car wash in history

But time was money apparently

But it only happened once, see the difference between a first world country and one of the others

There will be several more news items similar to this one in the next week involving death and destruction on Thai roads thats the difference 

7 hours ago, shaurene said:

Comment from Darksidedog.

is that all you can say in this tragic accident. 4 killed & 3 injured that makes 7.

there have been 4 people killed and 3 injured and all you can comment on is a mathematical problem. Good god man.

25,000 - 30,000 people die on Thailands roads annually

That fact does not seem to bother the powers that be

What exactly are you getting all twisted out of shape about

14 hours ago, Essaybloke said:

No, I don't like ridiculous generalizations about 60 million people based on limited information or situations! Yes, I am aware of the terrible annual road toll, nearly every time I drive I am close to joining the stats! As we both know, there are some real Barry Crockers on Thai roads, to be sure. 

However, my wife plans ahead (most times better than her smart, professional farang husband) and her brothers (all in the building industry) are as safety conscious as any of us. 

There, dumb generalization dealt with.

Leaving aside your wife and her bruvs leanings can you throw any light on the death toll on Thai roads as you are apparently aware of it

14 hours ago, jenifer d said:

amazing that NOBODY has drawn an analogy between this incident, in which the p/u driver

was charged immediately, and a certain spoiled brat scion of an energy drink fortune,

who through liberal brown envelopes and blood money to the relatives has managed 

to escape justice in a hugely flamboyant manner...  :post-4641-1156693976:

that said, there was a horrible m/c-m/c accident right in front of my home the other night-

one driver was Thai, one was a tourist; both severely injured...

sounded to me & my next door neighbors as if somebody had thrown a huge rock against our front doors...

something must be done to stop this wholly unavoidable carnage...

I am not a grammar policeman, but I expect you mean this avoidable carnage

Something needs to be done but it WONT be, trust me on this

the Thai taxi driver being caught for the third time for rape displays the attitude of the law

enforcement in this country, no body cares as it probably won't happen to them or theirs

so this just goes on and on. RIP to all the victims. 

5 hours ago, oldlakey said:

Leaving aside your wife and her bruvs leanings can you throw any light on the death toll on Thai roads as you are apparently aware of it

Yes, of course. First, I was responding to some ridiculous over generalizations made by a previous poster.

The Thai road toll? A national disgrace! Many drivers take risks that leave me stunned. Why is this? Fatalism? Maybe. Combine that with the carrying of unrestrained passengers in open utes, the predominance of motor scooters on high speed roads, heavy traffic, inconsistent law enforcement and some shockingly poor road design and/or maintenance. But we all know that!

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I too hate negative generalizations...  BUT... this one was pretty close to the mark...  

....In general, the drivers in Thailand do not plan head, they tend not to look too far ahead and read the road... And, there is very little concept of danger or consequence.... 

....this is not a Thai bash, its a bash against the majority of road users in Thailand and one which is difficult to refute given the road accident and fatality statistics.

Yes I agree, we have all seen the aggression or stupidity of some Thai drivers.