Football Quiz.

3 minus 2

14 hours ago, swbaggies said:

Which player once played for his country and club on the same day? 

Hint... The country was part of the UK, the club team isn't. 

Mark Hughes for Bayern and Wales (was mentioned on the LFC thread around December time iirc)

I've a question.

In one season since Spurs double winning year (60/61) there were 8 London teams in the League's top flight. Name them and what year (Watford not counted as a London team).

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I've a question.

In one season since Spurs double winning year (60/61) there were 8 London teams in the League's top flight. Name them and what year (Watford not counted as a London team).

Spurs, Arsenal. Chelsea, Wimbledon, Palace QPR, Millwall, Charlton........year was 89/90. Champions were errmm....Liverpool!????

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wilai said:

Spurs, Arsenal. Chelsea, Wimbledon, Palace QPR, Millwall, Charlton........year was 89/90. Champions were errmm....Liverpool!????

Fantastic wilai. Didn't think anyone would get it that easy. Two Londoners went down that year and as you say Liverpool were winners.

22 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Fantastic wilai. Didn't think anyone would get it that easy. Two Londoners went down that year and as you say Liverpool were winners.

Was living in Surrey Quays at the time so Millwall were the local team. Also had connections to Palace/Wimbledon guys so could get tickets to all the matches. Always easy to remember stuff when LFC were involved and winning!

• Like 1

Here is one to test you footy followers.

Three times since WW11 a club has won the top flight after gaining promotion the previous year.

If you know the clubs you would also get the years.

24 minutes ago, champers said:

Forest in 77/78, Ipswich in 61/62 and Leeds in 91/92.

Great shout. Two out of three. 

Leeds were 4th or 5th in the top flight, the season previous to their title win in 91/92.

It's not easy, so a clue; 'big chicken'.

Edited by owl sees all

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Yes indeed! The season 50/51. Came up as champions the year before.

Schooboy error from me; Spurs win things when the year ends in a 1. Thirty years ago I worked in Chesterfield and an older guy used to wax lyrical how Chesterfield once were in Division 2 and he saw them play the mighty Spurs. Your clue was a big help, 50s are before my time but my dad watched a lot then.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, champers said:

Schooboy error from me; Spurs win things when the year ends in a 1. Thirty years ago I worked in Chesterfield and an older guy used to wax lyrical how Chesterfield once were in Division 2 and he saw them play the mighty Spurs. Your clue was a big help, 50s are before my time but my dad watched a lot then.

Chesterfield were a decent team, and the club they liked playing against was Man Utd. Met them 6 times and Chesterfield ran out winners on 4 occasions. Of course, Man Utd, were not as big a club as they are now-a-days,,,, (late 1940s) but all the same.

Played both Wrexham and Rochdale a lot (over 100 times each) and did well on the stats against those two.

Chesterfield have achieved a 4th and a 6th in the second level since WW11. 

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Chesterfield were a decent team, and the club they liked playing against was Man Utd. Met them 6 times and Chesterfield ran out winners on 4 occasions. Of course, Man Utd, were not as big a club as they are now-a-days,,,, (late 1940s) but all the same.

Played both Wrexham and Rochdale a lot (over 100 times each) and did well on the stats against those two.

Chesterfield have achieved a 4th and a 6th in the second level since WW11. 

Sad to see them struggling in non-league. Had a good side in the mid 90s, Sean Dyche and Kevin Davies. Diddled out of a FA Cup Final in 97.