Cost per meal from market

Rotagivan

11 hours ago, CLW said:

Judging from a few people'scomments about market or street food it seems they never tried it or know how it is prepared. Maybe a chat with the vendor could clarify some of your assumptions.
Also maybe the same people drink regularly alcohol, consume snacks and fast food.
I'm not sure what is healthier.
Just my thoughts...

Its all in de genes. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP asks: 

Hi

Would anyone be so kind as to tell me what, if trying to be as cost effective as possible, the price is per meal if bought from market? Like chicken with rice, pork with rice, vegetarian. 

Reply No. 3: 

25-35 THB, depending on market
regards worgeordie

...uh, why is this thread still going? Asked and answered. 

47 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

OP asks: 

Reply No. 3: 

...uh, why is this thread still going? Asked and answered. 

...uh, it's too hot outside and the bars are closed today. Arguing about food on the internet is best way to fill that void.

I checked out the OP's profile.  I don't know why he asked this question.  From his posting history, he's been living in CM for several months, so he should know the answer to this question unless he's been so busy doing other activities that he's been relying on someone else (like a Thai GF) to go to the local market to buy food and is wondering if she's telling him the true price for the meals.

17 hours ago, Trujillo said:

There's a double entendre if I ever saw one.... 

Try this then - total rental of a similar 3-bedroomed pool villa at 25000 a month - the going rate for the area and type of property -  for the years I've been here - 3,300,000 baht. Cost of build - 1,500,000 at the then current exchange rate. 

House still in very good condition with very little maintenance cost - value (if, or rather when, sold !) some 3,500,000 baht. 

Might take a while to sell, BUT, in my view, brain not so very dead.

Lots of snobbery here about eating food from the market.   I suspect form people who have no experience eating this food, or people they don't like Thai food, preferring to eat pizza and steaks at farang restaurants. 

I eat food from the market, not for saving money, but because it's delicious, there is endless variety, it's interesting to try new foods that you can't get in restaurants, I prefer Thai spicy food to Farang food like pies and pizza.  Also I can go with friends and buy a variety of things, go home and share the meal together, which is a nice social thing to do. 

I like to chat to the people selling the food, practice my Thai language.  Most times I will eat at the market and have got to know many people and make new friends there. I don't have to sit in a more formal restaurant and get bored to death by other farangs telling me their (often made up) 'exciting' life stories, and about how much money they have and how big their house is.

I don't have a family here, so it's not worth the time and money to buy all the ingredients for meals myself, cook them, wash up, and have a lot of uneaten wasted food about.

The cheap price of buying the food from the market is just an added advantage.  Usually a main meal (curry or meat dish etc) and a huge portion of sticky or normal rice, will set me back only 45 baht. 

Edited by jak2002003

As many said before the portions for 30-40 THB are quiet small but it varies from person to person. Some eat more like me, some are less hungry, or depending on age etc. etc.

For me to be full I need 1 1/2 of those dishes or four per day at least. But this is only to be full, I also buy lots of fruit which I eat at home.

On average if I go for cheap food I can get by with four meals which is about 150 THB daily to round it up, but considering you will buy snacks, fruit, water, drinks etc. I see the minimum at 300 THB like other guys said here before.

If you're on a very tight budget you should also think about funds for health care, unexpected things etc. So planning all that you might find that you are better off in your country compared to Thailand.

38 minutes ago, sappersrest said:

its fly infested crap why would my Thai doctor tell me not to eat it I think people who say you must eat food from the markets are inverted snobs

How do you know the food you get in other restaurants is not worse?  You have not seen the rats running about in the kitchens, the way the staff handle the food with cross contamination and not washing hands or surfaces.

I had a friend who worked in a well know supermarket here... she told me that it all looks clean and healthy for the customers, but go behind the scenes and there are rats, dirt and unsafe food preparation going on.

Also, where do you think the restaurants buy their food from?  The get it from markets or macro...

Market food is cooked fresh each day... in restaurants the food is often stores for days.. maybe in bad conditions or incorrect temperatures. 

I have eaten food from markets and street stalls for 10 years nearly every day... and NEVER been sick from it.  I was sick from eating at Pizza company though with bad food poisoning!!!!

16 minutes ago, cerox said:

As many said before the portions for 30-40 THB are quiet small but it varies from person to person. Some eat more like me, some are less hungry, or depending on age etc. etc.

For me to be full I need 1 1/2 of those dishes or four per day at least. But this is only to be full, I also buy lots of fruit which I eat at home.

On average if I go for cheap food I can get by with four meals which is about 150 THB daily to round it up, but considering you will buy snacks, fruit, water, drinks etc. I see the minimum at 300 THB like other guys said here before.

If you're on a very tight budget you should also think about funds for health care, unexpected things etc. So planning all that you might find that you are better off in your country compared to Thailand.

It does depend on where you live, I have travelled a fair bit around Thailand and portion size varies quite considerably. I think Bangkok is probably the worst and I always feel I want 2 of their portions. Around here in Chonburi they are quite good and one would be ok for most people. The J & J market at Bang Saen is one of the best, most of the Thai food around 35/40 baht or if you want western style you can get a chicken/pork/beef steak with salad and a heap of chips for 80 baht.

Nearly all the food is freshly cooked and the best thing is you can order and have it delivered to your table in the purpose built bar whilst enjoying a large bottle of beer at around 80 baht.

2 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

How do you know the food you get in other restaurants is not worse?  You have not seen the rats running about in the kitchens, the way the staff handle the food with cross contamination and not washing hands or surfaces.

I had a friend who worked in a well know supermarket here... she told me that it all looks clean and healthy for the customers, but go behind the scenes and there are rats, dirt and unsafe food preparation going on.

Also, where do you think the restaurants buy their food from?  The get it from markets or macro...

Market food is cooked fresh each day... in restaurants the food is often stores for days.. maybe in bad conditions or incorrect temperatures. 

I have eaten food from markets and street stalls for 10 years nearly every day... and NEVER been sick from it.  I was sick from eating at Pizza company though with bad food poisoning!!!!

A friend of mine also got serious food poisoning from one of the pizza establishments in Pattaya, can't remember which one.

A friend of mine also got serious food poisoning from one of the pizza establishments in Pattaya, can't remember which one.

The worst food poisoning I got during a conference in Germany in a 4* Hotel.
The Department of Public health investigated and it turned out it was Norovirus from frozen strawberries from China.
Since 3 years here, fingers crossed, nothing serious.
One time Giardia, but that is luckily not acute like salmonella, etc...

Op,

Cheap and very filling.

Buy a rice cooker and throw in X amount of rice. Buy meat dishes from market and mix into rice. 3,000+ calories (or 3-4 meals) will stay warm all day.

Maybe cost around 130 bht (inc rice), delicious, and more filling than those little meals.

On 2017-05-08 at 5:25 AM, Wazza1 said:

To be even more cost effective I have seen perfectly good food in bins outside 7/11's and that would be for free.

On 2017-05-08 at 2:56 AM, dotpoom said:

If you need to know there in lies the problem...methinks.

On 2017-05-08 at 6:06 AM, sanukjim said:

If you are this CHEAP then go home and get a job,save  some money ,then come back and you wont be a bxm.

On 2017-05-08 at 10:05 AM, steven100 said:

And there is free accommodation the OP could use in the park near 7/11 on Sukhumvit so that would be more saving.

On 2017-05-10 at 9:21 AM, NancyL said:

I checked out the OP's profile.  I don't know why he asked this question.  From his posting history, he's been living in CM for several months, so he should know the answer to this question unless he's been so busy doing other activities that he's been relying on someone else (like a Thai GF) to go to the local market to buy food and is wondering if she's telling him the true price for the meals.

On 2017-05-10 at 10:20 AM, Bill97 said:

Unless handicapped, few should need to ask the OP's question.

Your posts are very interesting. Why not expand on them in a blog post? Then maybe me and two others will read it.

Edited by Rotagivan

• 2 weeks later...

I'll never understand why so many people drool over thai street food. deep fried in the worst oil, sodium and sugar count thru the roof, MSG, unsanitary conditions , rats crawling everywhere, cockroaches...etc, etc, I moved here, rented a place with a small kitchen and cook for myself..clean cheaper...and I make things that are ridiculously expensive in the supermarket , like red cabbage ...135baht for a jar in Tesco . make the same amount for 10baht .grilled chicken breast in the street 50baht ...buy the same thing marinate and cook my self-15baht ...anyway i

you live on that s**t in the streets  you wont be around long

I'll never understand why so many people drool over thai street food. deep fried in the worst oil, sodium and sugar count thru the roof, MSG, unsanitary conditions , rats crawling everywhere, cockroaches...etc, etc, I moved here, rented a place with a small kitchen and cook for myself..clean cheaper...and I make things that are ridiculously expensive in the supermarket , like red cabbage ...135baht for a jar in Tesco . make the same amount for 10baht .grilled chicken breast in the street 50baht ...buy the same thing marinate and cook my self-15baht ...anyway i
you live on that s**t in the streets  you wont be around long

Agree, if you have time for cooking everyday.
May I ask, are you working or retired?

I'd recommend buying salad items from the main market no cooking only chopping.
Then buy cooked meat like a whole chicken, grilled fish, etc. Just enough to last 3-4days that's the shelf life you'll get after it's cooler and placed in the fridge.
Buy a bag of eggs for either on what ever nice bread /toast or omelette with some of the chopped veg you've already got.
Interchange it with bagged curries, cooked rice or cooked sweet potato or corn from your local market.
Fruit museli & yoghurt is good value of you get a 1kg bag and a large tub of yoghurt.
All cost effective healthy food that you have reasonable knowledge don't have extra added stuff like the spoonfuls of sugar they just love to add.
Balanced​ with eating at a locals food place will keep the variety sufficient.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk