opalred

the wife and i went south and took some kids

we stayed at a resort and wife cooked dinner

outside room and we sat to eat

this 2m lizard came towards us

all skreaming to inside room

after eating our chicken left

the resort  owner said dont feed them?

They're pretty timid, from my experience.  Walking along trails adjacent to the tourist areas (meaning: not deep in the bush) suddenly there is a big flurry in the undergrowth, it's one of these guys running away from the sound of you approaching.

They like small critters, like rats and rabbits.  They also have an appetite for cats.  But they might mistake pale-colored feet for critters, so be careful there.

lizard3.jpg.0875f8fe1c771172874a1bae462fa653.jpg

26 minutes ago, bendejo said:

They're pretty timid, from my experience.  Walking along trails adjacent to the tourist areas (meaning: not deep in the bush) suddenly there is a big flurry in the undergrowth, it's one of these guys running away from the sound of you approaching.

yeah...this has been my experience as well...when not threatened they move slowly but when a threat is perceived they move like lightning...

to the OP...the lizard probably smelled the chicken...woulda been enough to stand up an move yer arms about to scare him off...

5 hours ago, bendejo said:

They like small critters, like rats and rabbits.  They also have an appetite for cats.  But they might mistake pale-colored feet for critters, so be careful there.

In Suan Luang park ( Bangkok) they arent so timid  , but then they are surrounded by people daily and have learnt they are  no threat, in general though they will run like the wind at sight of  you, lovely things though.as  long as they stay away from my fish

2 hours ago, bendejo said:

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen one myself in LOS.  Malaysian islands and Indonesia. 

They seem to thrive in Bangkok.  You're guaranteed to see them in Lumpinee Park, which still has some big ones despite a lot being captured and taken elsewhere.  Take a look on YouTube. I've also seen smaller ones in a lot of other ponds and klongs in the central city, including the disgusting little klong you cross at the back end of Sukhumvit Soi 10 when going to Benjakitti Park. 

We have several in our overgrown yard in Phuket, nice little critters, very timid. The Burmese in worker camp nearby look at them with great longing when going by our gate, would like to catch and eat. Our rottweiler keeps sniffing around, would like to do the same.

7 hours ago, kannot said:

in Suan Luang park ( Bangkok) they arent so timid

whats the nearest bts mrt or whatever station to this park

coz im coming down to asok next week

and i like a few days moniter lizard pic hunting :)

cheers ...dave2

ps ..this one was in lumpine park

moniter lizerd 5 foot lumpini park bangkok 8 feb 17 20170208_134543.jpg