Driver's out of body experience as he credits amulet with miraculous escape

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fairly confident that among the 50+ people who die daily on Thai roads, that more than 90% will be found to have been wearing an amulet.

In fact considering that Thailand has the second highest fatalities per capita (highest for motorcycles) it can be argued that wearing amulets is very dangerous statistically.

4 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I am fairly confident that among the 50+ people who die daily on Thai roads, that more than 90% will be found to have been wearing an amulet.

In fact considering that Thailand has the second highest fatalities per capita (highest for motorcycles) it can be argued that wearing amulets is very dangerous statistically.

So what you are in effect saying, is that you are nine times more likely to die in accident if you are wearing an amulet, than if you are not!

I wonder what the local reaction would be if that little nugget gets out. Amulet salesmen being beaten to death perhaps?

The report of his survival, without even a scratch, seems very unbelievable, and as for the magic of the Amulet, simply superstition as far I'm concerned.

He was simply a very very very fortunate person. After examining , what I can make out within the photo of the incident, I'v a feeling that the whole truth about the crash is not being exposed?

Sensationalism springs to mind.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

EVERYBODY's cynicism and usual predisposition to Thai-bash at EVERY

opportunity is on full, sorry, pathetic display in the comments on this story...

SAD that virtually none of you bother to understand Thai culture, and display

woeful ignorance and scorn and derision at the far more spiritual Thai way of 

life; the angry derision you all are displaying is exactly why most of you

will NEVER be accepted here no matter how much you feel you have assimilated-

you still bring your materialistic, cynical western pseudo-wisdom to bear

on every single thing that happens in an ancient culture of which you are

completely clueless...

after performing a surprise one-girl musical "show" for a famous monk

on a houseboat in Kraseio lake in Dan Chang, i was invited to the wat

at the monk's insistence; when we came there 2 days later i was anointed and 

given 4 very special amulets that were blessed specially at that moment by the

monk- it was a very special and magical  occasion and emblematic of my experiences here in one of the most amazing places on earth (despite the obvious problems and endemic corruption) 

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

The mentality of people believing that an amulet saved his life is unbelievable.

Don't knock it until you tried it, as they say  ;)

Seriously, my mom keeps holy water in her home and people pray to an entity that you just have to believe in and follow books full of logical hurdles (and descriptions of mass slaughter, infanticide, call for murder, etc.). I really don't see the difference, to be honest and at least this doesn't have such a violent past connected to it.

14 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

EVERYBODY's cynicism and usual predisposition to Thai-bash at EVERY

opportunity is on full, sorry, pathetic display in the comments on this story...

SAD that virtually none of you bother to understand Thai culture, and display

woeful ignorance and scorn and derision at the far more spiritual Thai way of 

life; ..

Can you imagine a Thai website where Thais living in the West congregate and they constantly knock their guest country and poke fun at our weird customs?

P.S. As it just occurred to me: I'm really happy the guy had such a lucky escape and is unharmed, regardless of the reason.

Edited by mrdome
wanted to add this

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

" Relatives called to check on his progress as the Fortuner was going to be decked out as the groom's wedding car for the ceremony the next day. Sayan said he was thirty minutes from their house."

so did he plow into the rear of the truck after being distracted by the phone call? or sending a text?

It's a fact that most serious accidents happen within 20 minutes of the destination... nothing to do with mobile  telephones as it was always like this even before mobile phones were invented 

28 minutes ago, mrdome said:

Can you imagine a Thai website where Thais living in the West congregate and they constantly knock their guest country and poke fun at our weird customs?

P.S. As it just occurred to me: I'm really happy the guy had such a lucky escape and is unharmed, regardless of the reason.

frankly, no- although there's no need, really, since they have ample opportunity to do so here, since most expats who settle and/or visit here frequently make NO effort whatsoever to understand, let alone embrace, Thai culture and spirituality...

when i talked to my Thai next door neighbor few minutes ago, and told them the details except for the amulet part, they hadn't seen the story (they were not online today, at the temple all day because of 100 monks visiting, i had been at friend's shop when the monks came out the first morning, couldn't go today as my motorcycle is not running)-

the first thing they asked was "was the driver wearing a Phra?" and showed their amulet, i said excitedly "yes!"

they nodded sagely...

One does not have to agree with everything that happens in a foreign country (and you are certainly free to not follow it) but a certain respect for local traditions goes along the way and will be appreciated, I have found.

Isn't that the same argument that is applied, no scratch that: expected, when people from other countries come over to the West?

amulets

These must be very powerful where do I get one?

A friend of mine just said from saffron robes as they sell them, OK I now understand, give me your money and this piece of cheap Chinese made junk will protect you.....

2 hours ago, mrdome said:

Weird customs like getting a driving licence rather than relying on an amulet? I can see how they would find that strange.

He should get a contract to supply these amulets to the United States  and British Armies  and all those others who are doing peace keeping duties. I am sure that they will buy them wholesale.   Make a fortune overnight !

One of my past girlfriends sisters used to wear an Amulet against getting pregnant. When the inevitable eventually happened, she went home to her mum and said, "mama i pregnant me" Her mother glimpsed at the Amulet and replied "are you sure its yours you":cheesy:

Oh, i do make me laugh sometimes, i must put more water in me lao Khoaw.

3 hours ago, jenifer d said:

frankly, no- although there's no need, really, since they have ample opportunity to do so here, since most expats who settle and/or visit here frequently make NO effort whatsoever to understand, let alone embrace, Thai culture and spirituality...

when i talked to my Thai next door neighbor few minutes ago, and told them the details except for the amulet part, they hadn't seen the story (they were not online today, at the temple all day because of 100 monks visiting, i had been at friend's shop when the monks came out the first morning, couldn't go today as my motorcycle is not running)-

the first thing they asked was "was the driver wearing a Phra?" and showed their amulet, i said excitedly "yes!"

they nodded sagely...

Perhaps there is a 'very special amulet' to keep your motorcycle running. As an alternative, you could consult a mechanic.

Scientific reality is when someone gets a bump on the head they can in fact feel like they are floating

As for the amulet Just folklore and superstition nothing more amulets are of this world and hold no mystical power 

5 minutes ago, chuang said:

Different culture has different beliefs....a friend of mine survived an accident, he claimed it's the crucifix he wore that saved him..

do I believe him ??  

why didn't the crucifix / amulet prevent him having an accident in the first place ?

Different culture has different beliefs....a friend of mine survived an accident, he claimed it's the crucifix he wore that saved him..

do I believe him ??  

do I believe him ??  

why not ? its the same spirit does not matter which religion , they just have different names for their gods there are only 2 spirits we pray to a good spirit , and a bad spirit ( as in the case of islamic extremism ) that is praying to a bad spirit but the rest of muslims who do not commit extreme acts are praying to the good spirit .