Transfer the green book to my name without the seller being present

Agusts

Now that I am going to buy the scooter of my friend we have the issue of transferring the green book from his name to mine.

I know I need to get the certificate for accommodation, I have done that before a couple of months ago at Phuket office, and still have the slip stabled to my passport (although the letter was given to the bank that needed it and I left the country and back, but stay in the same place), so I assume I just have to go again and fill up that form for buying car/bike and pay the 300 baht - I need another one for getting Thai driving license, so 300 baht x 2 - but hopefully no need to take all that copy of condo rental documents again... !? (I saw them put the info in their computers so they must have me in there, no ... !) 

But my friend leaves shortly and he will not be able to go to the registry office to transfer the  motorbike green book to me, he said he gives me all the documents and copy of passport etc. , but can I do it without him, will I need a contract of sale of some sort that he signs etc... !? Does he have to sign the green book etc... !

I sold a bike recently and didn't attend the Land transport department to do the transfer because I was too busy at work. I gave power of attorney to the buyer and made a simple sales contract. They transferred me the money in advance on the understanding I'd refund it if the transfer didn't go through for any reason (I am good friends with the buyer's girlfriend and we trust each other) and I gave him the bike, keys, green book etc. to go and do the transfer.

After the transfer was complete they returned the power of attorney documents to me. Went through with no major issues (a minor issue during inspection as the glass on the tail light was white - not red - the buyer sorted that with a red translucent film).

papa has bought and sold many bikes here.

Easiest & best:

Get an agent

[dealership or inspection station]

to confirm/handle the transfer paperwork and to deal with LTO.

Not expensive.

If you enjoy a good challenge and a learning experience

do it yourself.

Both buyer and seller will need

Certificate of Residency from immigration...

...or work/study permit.

Edited by papa al

Hi, I'm currently in the same position and need to transfer the green book into my name. Does anyone know of a good agent/bike shop that can help me with this in Bangkok (Sukhumvit area)?

Thanks

And sometimes the inspection and/or LTO can be a real pack of pedantic bureaucrats (That's putting it nicely).

I sold a bike about 8 months ago and I was amazed at what they came up with before they would let the ownership transfer go through.  

The headlight apparently had a blue tinge to it....not allowed (Funny I could only see blue when the bike was turned off, when the light is on its normal).  It was just an upgraded Philips bulb which produced a brighter white light than the stock yellow type light.

The chain guard wasn't original therefore not allowed <deleted>? And yet there are plenty of after market guards available.

I had an airhorn installed but with a switch which allowed the piss weak standard horn to be used if needed. Not allowed (I can sort of understand that)

The wing/rearview mirrors were too small....must have original!

There were a few others as well, luckily I had all the original parts but it was a pain having to put them back on just to get the transfer done.

The new owner wasn't too impressed either as he said he was going to reinstall all the mods I had done to the bike once he got home.

I agree an agent may be less headache. A few baht goes along way....

Yes Papa Al,  and I'm sure you've never gone over 90kmph either!

By you way of thinking then....if one was to change the size (width) of the tyres then that would be a modification.  Therefore you should not be allowed on the road.

Some crazy stuff out there, and either I agree with it or I take the risks  if I dont.  Such is the luxury of living here.

1 hour ago, papa al said:

Simple really:

Modified motocy is illegal to ride on roads.

Have you no respect for the law.?

Speed limit is 90.

Okay?

BMW F800GS is sold from BMW Thailand with a rear light that has a clear lense. So if you were to then sell it without modifying then you'd fail the inspection (assuming it was the same guy who checked my bike). So not really that simple...

From my notes again -_-

Thai seller needs to supply

Signed copy of ID card front and back ( not expired )

Signed copy of house registration ( not always required )

signed " nungsue moub umnart " ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )

signed "beb kum kor own le rup own "

green/ blue book signed by current owner

Foreigner seller needs to supply

certificate of residence from immigration ( should be free at immigration but varies from place to place )

For foreign seller, instead of certificate of residence also work permit or yellow housebook is accepted.

if foreign seller has left Thailand then a signed copy of the exit from Thailand stamp in their passport instead of residence certificate and valid visa stamp.

(Certificate of residence not required in all provinces ? / DLT's Pattaya requires it )

sometimes the police station will give you this document too.

copy passport photo page

copy of visa page and or extension ( not expired )

signed "beb kum kor own le rup own " ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )

green/blue book signed by current owner

So list of provinces where residence certificate is required ( from foreign seller ) so far is

Chonburi/Pattaya yes

Nakhornratchasima/Korat yes

Khon Kaen ??

Buriram for sure yes

Chiang Mai ? yes[mention=108027]ramrod711[/mention]

BKK ?

If the vehicle has a number plate from another province then you ( the new buyer not the seller )

must either change the ownership name in that province

or goto the MAIN DLT for your province and have them " move" the vehicle to your province this requires a new number plate and 2 or more trips

before the whole process of name change and province change is completed.

Thanks for the info Johng, it would be hard to get a signed copy of exit stamp on passport as the person gets that after immigration - unless they post it (with Thai post performance would be a long wait... !)

Also, is there a blank copy of these two I can download from somewhere and fill up - if in Thai I can get help with that:

signed "beb kum kor own le rup own " ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )

(I am assuming these are sales contract and power of attorney docs....)

BTW, I will be going to Phuket office, the bike was originally registered there.

Edited by Agusts

Yes best to get it done before your friend leaves Thailand

Attached is a file with all documents

Vehicle transfer.rar

Power of attorney = nungsue moub amnart

transfer = bep kum kor own

make sure he also signs the green book (see blue book.jpg)

Some of the forms are double sided so be sure to print them on both sides or the official might get upset.

Having a number plate from the province you live in certainly helps cut down  the beurocracy.

....good luck.

Edited by johng

Thanks a lot, what is the "buy sell A4.pdf " form by the way, is that a sales contract ... !? Is that needed, or just the two you mentioned....

I will have a go and see what happens. As a plan B, can I just ride the scooter till December when he comes back with a copy of the green book and copy of his passport photo page on me in the bike at all times ... (I keep the original green book at home) !?

Cheers....

Yes "buy sell A4.pdf is a sales contract,DLT might want to see it but its more of a backup in case the new owner doesn't transfere ownership and does something illegal with the vehicle.

Your plan B should work fine.

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:55 AM, papa al said:

papa has bought and sold many bikes here.

Easiest & best:

Get an agent

[dealership or inspection station]

to confirm/handle the transfer paperwork and to deal with LTO.

Not expensive.

If you enjoy a good challenge and a learning experience

do it yourself.

Both buyer and seller will need

Certificate of Residency from immigration...

...or work/study permit.

I'll second that one! Get an agent, most of the time they don't even need to take the bike, they just take a rub of the chassis / frame number on a bit of masking tape. Pay them a few hundred baht and forget the headache!

I bought my son a Honda MSX a while back. It was in a dealers place but owned by a third party. We paid cash, drove it home, the dealer rubbed the frame number and 5 days later we had it taxed insured and an update inb the Green book without it even leaving our house. We never met the seller or anyone else, completely hassle free.

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:10 PM, johng said:

Yes best to get it done before your friend leaves Thailand

Attached is a file with all documents

Vehicle transfer.rar

Power of attorney = nungsue moub amnart

transfer = bep kum kor own

make sure he also signs the green book (see blue book.jpg)

Some of the forms are double sided so be sure to print them on both sides or the official might get upset.

Having a number plate from the province you live in certainly helps cut down  the beurocracy.

....good luck.

johng I do not see the blue book jpg in your rar file unless I have missed it somehow?

Where about's is it signed?

On 5/9/2017 at 3:14 PM, johng said:

if foreign seller has left Thailand then a signed copy of the exit from Thailand stamp in their passport instead of residence certificate and valid visa stamp.

Thanks for that;

never heard b4.

Any known cases of this actually occurring?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a feedback about the transferring of name on the green book in Phuket town.

First off went earlier and asked them about my certificate of registration of accommodation, they said that notification slip attached to your passport is not enough, need to take a photo and passport copies (with departure card and visa page copies) and pay the 300 baht to get the letter from immigration.

Went there, they said my registration is old because I went out of the country and came back that is no longer any good, but the lady was very nice and said she will renew it on the computer as I am still in the same address - no documents needed, but 300 baht. I said last time that was free, she smiled and said okay, free then... !? But I had to pay 300 for the letter to buy a bike, another 300 for bike license and another 300 for car license - she was not sure if one letter is enough for car+bike licenses, but said do you really want to try or just get the two and done with it - that was fair enough, so I got 3 of these letters - you only need one set of passport and departure card and visa page copy, but 3 photos and 900 baht.

The bike dealer manager at Suzuki filled up the transfer form, the power of attorney form (these must be filled up in Thai), and I already had bill of sale filled up in English (that's okay apparently) - my seller friend already signed all the forms copy of his passport etc. But this guy noticed the visa date of the seller had passed already by a few days. So he said that shouldn't happen but you better go quickly today and they might accept - so remember this point for future (buyer and seller must have valid, not expired - visa stamps).

Also ensure all the witness places on the forms are signed by Thais in Thai, most are scared of doing this, but I finally got people to do it.

At the office they noticed the visa date expiry and called the boss to get permission, he was a nice guy and said go ahead no problem, lucky there. (Not sure why they pick on this as I have a signed power of attorney letter from seller, who cares if he is gone or in the country.)

But another issue, at the inspection point the little girl, looked 14 (!!?), could not read or get to the chassis number on this damn Suzuki Hayate scooter (it's above the front-wheel, behind the lights on the handle bar column - what a place to put it.. ..!?). They need to stick a tape on it and rub on it, to get the number copied on to the tape, her boss came and said I  should go to a mechanic to take the front panels off and get the copy (!?) - damn, it's 30 minutes before office closing and pissing outside like hell.

But back to dealer and they did it quick enough and I made it, paid the 220b and told to come back next week to get the green book - last person out of the office.  Feeeeew....

(Next week, going for driving licenses have the IDP, let's see how that goes... )

Got the updated green book today, also went to the other building across and got my Thai car + motorbike license, it was a breeze, less than 20 minutes in and out. Didn't have to sit to see any video etc., cost 540 baht for both.

Just a note for those going for car + motorbike, you only need one certificate of registration of accommodation from immigration (save yourself 300 baht - I ended up with an extra one now). Also just one medical certificate, but you make a copy of each. You need two sets of signed copies of passport (front and visa page) and IDP (front and back) for each application. 

Just did the traffic light tests and gas/brake test, there were two other tests, but the lady waved everyone off after the first two. There was only a poor dark skin Thai guy who did two more tests, I think 3D adjustment and colorblind test - I wish the Thais were a bit colorblind when it comes to skin..... lol.