UDD leaders face charges for masterminding disruption of 2009 Asean summit in Pattaya

webfact

11 hours ago, candide said:

"Another convenient post, share some details el. How come this has not been mentioned before el?"

Just google "blue shirt pattaya asean" and you will find a few sources mentioning it, including the guardian, reuters, a Thaivisa thread, etc... Then if you click on "image", you will find some pictures like this one.

BS.jpg

I repeat my comment:

"Even if true el, does that mean it's OK for the red shirt / udd thugs to force their way into a regional conference with quite some violence and make the invited regional delegates run in fear of their lives, and also pull abhisits' driver from his car and seriously / savagely beat him up, and at a report about 6 months ago the driver was still struggling to regain his ability to walk etc?"

Look forward to your comment, without twists.

1 hour ago, halloween said:

Anyone??? I think they were few some BS by Thaksin's mercenary agitators (aka UDD), probably with some paid thugs to carry out the violence from within the crowd. Isn't that their usual modus operandi?

No. only from your bigoted mind. 

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I repeat my comment:

"Even if true el, does that mean it's OK for the red shirt / udd thugs to force their way into a regional conference with quite some violence and make the invited regional delegates run in fear of their lives, and also pull abhisits' driver from his car and seriously / savagely beat him up, and at a report about 6 months ago the driver was still struggling to regain his ability to walk etc?"

Look forward to your comment, without twists.

Personnally I don't approve violence. My comment is firstly that the successful and unpunished behaviour of the PAD may have given bad ideas to other people. Secondly, there was a specific overall context that cannot be neglected (a government that was not representing the will of the Thai people and did not want to solve this issue by a quick election. Thirdly, the question in this case is if leaders can be held responsible of anything supporters of their movement may do (i.e. did they order the facts you mention). Thirdly, I cannot help but wonder if the law is applied equally to all political factions (ask Suthep and other yellow shirts leaders).

4 hours ago, halloween said:

So tell me, why did ordinary people seek to disrupt an ASEAN meeting?

There could be several reasons. Just like those who disrupted air travel by taking over the airport or who disrupted an election by and large were ordinary people who participated for various reasons. Or do you believe that only the yellows have legitimate concerns?

On 5/10/2017 at 5:26 PM, Becker said:

I live in Pattaya and observed what was happening up close. While the red shirts always looked like ordinary people (young, old, male, female, families) the blue shirts were all young(ish) males, often scruffy looking and many were carrying some form of weapon (bats, sticks etc). Definitively a rent-a-mob.

It was rumored at the time that they were controlled by a certain football club and race track owner who later (seemingly) retired from politics.

"Definitively a rent-a-mob"  And that would be a nice descriptor for the udd / red gang.

10 hours ago, Becker said:

There could be several reasons. Just like those who disrupted air travel by taking over the airport or who disrupted an election by and large were ordinary people who participated for various reasons. Or do you believe that only the yellows have legitimate concerns?

And you would include dragging abhisits driver out of his car and severely beating him so he needed several years to recover to be legitimate.

Not forgetting that the udd/red mob concerned actually through abhisit was the person in the car and initially thought the person they dragged out was abhisit and were obviously aiming to get him out of the car and in a mob activity kill him, is that legitimate?

Edited by scorecard

On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 11:24 PM, halloween said:

IIRC it was the reds that broke into the meeting causing it to be cancelled. I don't expect you to recall that part of the story.

I believe it was the military who disregarded the peoples rights by overthrowing the government again and some people were using the summit to obtain media attention to have their democratic rights restored.

I dont expect you will not remember what events created the situation as its not like such event occurred some 16 times before and even after. More concerning is that given the military's constant interference and failure in politics, they still have supporters who, by any means, try to justify their involvement and have absolute hatred for those who stand up to protect their legal rights.

I neither like reds, yellows or the military but i do like the ability for people to choose and when that basic right is taken away, all people should fight to have it restored.

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

And you would include dragging abhisits driver out of his car and severely beating him so he needed several years to recover to be legitimate.

Not forgetting that the udd/red mob concerned actually through abhisit was the person in the car and initially thought the person they dragged out was abhisit and were obviously aiming to get him out of the car and in a mob activity kill him, is that legitimate?

You assume what I would include or not and then you get your titties in a twist when you be default chose wrong!

5555555! 

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

OIC, your saying the paymasters gang are angels. How quaint.

Is he saying that? In fact, is anyone saying that or should you try to actually read what's in the posts you reply to, as opposed to replying to voices in your head?

19 hours ago, scorecard said:

Right...because who in Thailand knows what that shadowy figure Abhisit looks like anyway? And I'm sure his driver is the spitting image of the light-skinned Etonian.

So you make an absurd postulation which has no evidence whatsoever and then question whether the absurd action that didn't happen was legitimate. Uh, okay. I believe this is known as a "straw man" argument.

1 minute ago, JCauto said:

Right...because who in Thailand knows what that shadowy figure Abhisit looks like anyway? And I'm sure his driver is the spitting image of the light-skinned Etonian.

So you make an absurd postulation which has no evidence whatsoever and then question whether the absurd action that didn't happen was legitimate. Uh, okay. I believe this is known as a "straw man" argument.

Read the history.

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Read the history.

No need to - I was in Thailand when it happened and remember it well. I don't recall a single press report or claim by anyone that the driver was "mistaken for Abhisit" by the mob or that there was a plan revealed that showed an intention to assassinate Abhisit. Perhaps you can point us all to a source? Oh, sorry, I mean one that doesn't originate in your imagination.

1 hour ago, JCauto said:

No need to - I was in Thailand when it happened and remember it well. I don't recall a single press report or claim by anyone that the driver was "mistaken for Abhisit" by the mob or that there was a plan revealed that showed an intention to assassinate Abhisit. Perhaps you can point us all to a source? Oh, sorry, I mean one that doesn't originate in your imagination.

Come on! Everybody knows a Prime Minister has no driver and drives himself his car! :wink: