Thai Army Chief stresses importance of military’s readiness to protect nation

webfact

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

I see this as a positive for the Nations army.  The Junta is doing a good job of keeping security in check ... how would it be if no one was in control ?  back to the old days of chaos and anarchy.  ?   but some just don't get it   !!

Why is it that any news about the military whatever it is there are farang who just want to whinge about every story, every episode, every move .... it doesn't matter what the news .. it just an automatic whinge ....  lol

It gets a bit much to hear whinging farangs all the time .....   Why stay here if everything is not to your liking ??   why bother to live here and hate the way things are ??   maybe move to Cambodia or somewhere.

The current PM has worked hard to bring security and stability to the thai people which is now being recognised by the US and others.

I vote ...   stop the whinging or move on ....  :post-4641-1156693976:

Nice to hear from you again Prime-Minister-General Chunocha.  It seems you must be ecstatic that your master plan of morphing now-democracy-less Thailand (thanks to you) into a Soviet-style dictatorship is apparently moving along swimmingly—in your eyes anyway.   And it does seem you've done quite a job of fooling ...OOPS... I mean "adjusting the attitudes of" the majority of the Thais and even a few clueless farangs living here.

Hmmm... the title Prime Minister General  has quite a ring to it and is much more fitting than simply [self-appointed] Prime Minister as it exudes all the warmness and savoir faire of a Stalinist military regime leader—that you apparently are so enamored of... Article 44 anyone?

Enjoy your day Comrade!

4 hours ago, wirat69 said:

Maybe when the subs are tied up at Laem Chabang and the money is still outstanding...

Could they use the subs as a kind of massive banana boat? It may help pay for their upkeep.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

I see this as a positive for the Nations army.  The Junta is doing a good job of keeping security in check ... how would it be if no one was in control ?  back to the old days of chaos and anarchy.  ?   but some just don't get it   !!

Why is it that any news about the military whatever it is there are farang who just want to whinge about every story, every episode, every move .... it doesn't matter what the news .. it just an automatic whinge ....  lol

It gets a bit much to hear whinging farangs all the time .....   Why stay here if everything is not to your liking ??   why bother to live here and hate the way things are ??   maybe move to Cambodia or somewhere.

The current PM has worked hard to bring security and stability to the thai people which is now being recognised by the US and others.

Perhaps because there's a military junta in charge of the government that is cracking down on freedom of speech.  You know, stuff most of us whinging farangs consider to be inalienable rights.  

I do however agree that way too many farangs have big mouths but tiny hearts.  They complain but won't leave (they say they can't, wife, home, etc).  Even when the government (this one or any of the previous ones) targets them or causes undue burden, they flock to TV to moan about it but I've never seen a street protest, never seen any action.  

I find it funny that people in the US or other farang countries illegally will march for their rights but the rights of farangs have been infringed upon in Thailand all they do is furiously tap away at a keyboard in the dark and keep their mouths shut in public.  

2 minutes ago, digibum said:

I find it funny that people in the US or other farang countries illegally will march for their rights but the rights of farangs have been infringed upon in Thailand all they do is furiously tap away at a keyboard in the dark and keep their mouths shut in public.  

Really? You find it funny? They are not going to make you persona non grata in most countries when you protest for your rights.  They have nothing to worry about. That is unlikely to be the case for Thailand.  In Thailand freedom of expression is not protected, despite what those in power say. 

Just now, GarryP said:

Really? You find it funny? They are not going to make you persona non grata in most countries when you protest for your rights.  They have nothing to worry about. That is unlikely to be the case for Thailand.  In Thailand freedom of expression is not protected, despite what those in power say. 

You're missing the whole point.  Yes, people who are in a country illegally would be persona non grata if arrested.  But they still feel strongly enough about their rights to take the risk.  

Farangs talk a big game but don't do anything.  

Not just Thailand.  Where do you see expats standing up for their rights?  They don't.  They moan and moan about how the locals are so incompetent and corrupt and yadda, yadda, yadda but they continue to live there and don't do a thing.  

Realistically, what would happen if 100 foreigners protested outside of immigration over some stupid new rule?  They going to round you up and throw you in jail?  How quick do you think that becomes an international headline?  

You really think black civil rights protesters had it easy?  You think immigrant agricultural workers had it easy?  You think Muslims marching in London aren't scared silly?  

But those people are willing to demand their rights.  99% of the farangs in Thailand are just keyboard warriors mashing buttons.  

15 minutes ago, digibum said:

You're missing the whole point.  Yes, people who are in a country illegally would be persona non grata if arrested.  But they still feel strongly enough about their rights to take the risk.  

Farangs talk a big game but don't do anything.  

Not just Thailand.  Where do you see expats standing up for their rights?  They don't.  They moan and moan about how the locals are so incompetent and corrupt and yadda, yadda, yadda but they continue to live there and don't do a thing.  

Realistically, what would happen if 100 foreigners protested outside of immigration over some stupid new rule?  They going to round you up and throw you in jail?  How quick do you think that becomes an international headline?  

You really think black civil rights protesters had it easy?  You think immigrant agricultural workers had it easy?  You think Muslims marching in London aren't scared silly?  

But those people are willing to demand their rights.  99% of the farangs in Thailand are just keyboard warriors mashing buttons.  

Hmmm you may have a point. Expats are an easy target. Governments make sure we go forth into the world unclothed. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Army Commander-in-Chief encouraged the troops to always prepare themselves for any threat to national sovereignty. 

Sounds like the opening shot in getting the governments ear to order some more boy toys. Make a wish list.

8 hours ago, Nigeone said:

The biggest threat to the Army is in my opinion likely to be the RTP. 

When the've had enough of the RTA pushing into there revenue streams it might kick off.. till then nothing is going to threaten there cosy little number.

And if anyone did my money would be on the attackers as I don't feel the majority of Thai army is up to any sort of reasonable standard and will probably just run or surrender 

I think that you will find that most of the RTA are young conscripts from poor families, the rich ones usually find a way to avoid the RTA unless they are looking for a career. So who do we think that these poor farm boys will look after come the crunch.  The RTA  really should be ok in any war as there are 1 General to every 80 soldiers. A better commanded  army than the yanks.   lolololol

7 hours ago, Ricardo said:

It would be interesting to know just where the threat is perceived as coming from.

Is it the regional super-power China, or Thailand's ASEAN-allies, whose arrival is being planned-for ?

Or should we wait until the new-arrivals show-up on the TAT arrivals-statistics ? :cool:

It's the threat the public pose to the junta and those that it protects. 

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

Because Cambodia is no different. Another venal, repressive regime where people are jailed or disappear for expressing an opinion.  The current PM has NOT worked hard to bring security and stability to the Thai people, he has worked hard to prevent the Thai people from determining their own future and protect the country's elite, which in turn will eventually,  and inevitably, result in major social unrest and insecurity.  The Middle East is a fine, recent example of where such policies lead.

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

Bob,  .. I do live here, have 2 houses and family, not a bar stool .... hahaha ...  plenty of them around Pattaya.   Ok, there are those who believe everyone in Thailand is a swindler and corrupt ... was any previous governments any different ? one is a convicted crime in exile, the other ran a multi billion baht frauded rice scheme.

I like the current government ... it's safe ..... security is fine .... you can travel anywhere , do almost anything  .

"I like the current government ... it's safe ..... security is fine .... you can travel anywhere , do almost anything".   Except voice and opinion.

15 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

"I like the current government ... it's safe ..... security is fine .... you can travel anywhere , do almost anything".   Except voice and opinion.

so you want to voice your opinion then your ok for instability, killings, insecurity, road blocks, protests, airport closures, fighting and on and on.

Because in Thailand they go hand in hand .......   and you know that but you don't care about anything else but to voice your opinion freely.    lol

15 minutes ago, fish monger said:

The military is sooo ready...? BS. And the South of Thailand has been in murderous turmoil for how many years, and how many dead...?

yes, but they're only muslims. They have been killing each other for years.

" In his address to the soldiers, Gen Chalermchai voiced his appreciation for everyone’s participation and urged them to remain committed to their training. He pointed out that the country is putting its hopes on them to serve as the main force to fight against all kinds of national threats."

meanwhile in other news:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/05/09/car-bomb-strikes-downtown-pattani-big-c/

• 2 weeks later...

So where exactly are the enemies?

if the military cannot identify them then

we've all got a problem

Thailand has as yet an unlabeled Civil War in the South and so many other problems that listening to the military bleat on against imaginary enemies about what they need is pitiful