2 years out of a single-entry O-A?

Greetings,

Seeking your advice.

I’m getting my O-A at the NYC consulate soon. Would I receive a yearlong extension when I re-enter Thailand if my visa was a single-entry? If not, what would be my statute? Visa-on-arrival? E.g., one enters on June 1st  2017, departs May 1st 2018 and re-enters May 28th, a mere two days before their first extension is up. How does the immigration stamp them, I wonder?

Furthermore, can someone shade more light on that second yearlong extension? Does it kick in the first time one re-enters Thailand, or only within a timeframe prior to the extension expiration date? For example, if one returns to Thailand 2 months into their extension, would they enjoy only 14 months of stay out of their O-A?

Lastly, am I correct and this arrangement pertains solely to an O-A issued overseas? Any idea as for the reason?

Thanks for reading and hopefully responding.

O-A is multi-entry. Every time you enter Thailand before the expiration date on the VISA sticker you will be stamped in for 1 year.

During the first year, no re-entry permit is needed to exit and enter Thailand. After your final entry before the expiration date, then you will need a re-entry permit to exit and re-enter Thailand during your final year of permission.

O-A only issued in your country of residence.

Don't overthink it with scenarios....EVERY TIME YOU ENTER THAILAND BEFORE THE EXPIRATION DATE YOU WILL RECEIVE AN ADDITIONAL YEAR'S PERMISSION TO STAY. 

It's a simple as that.

@Tonray: thanks for simplifying the process.

FYI, in NYC you can either pay for a single entry O-A, which costs $80, or get a multiple-entry visa to the tune of $200. But I think I get your point -- that applies only to the second year.

Edited by aBigSmile
Typo

12 minutes ago, aBigSmile said:

FYI, in NYC you can either pay for a single entry O-A, which costs $80, or get a multiple-entry visa to the tune of $200

The will not issue a single entry non-oa visa. You might find it on a list of fees but they will refuse to issue a single entry visa.

From consulate website. No mention of a single entry non-oa.  http://thaiconsulnewyork.com/english/index.php

Long Stay

(O-A)

Must be 50 years old or over

Living a retirement life in Thailand

(Click HERE for document to be submitted)

Multiple

1 year

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aBigSmile said:

@Tonray: thanks for simplifying the process.

FYI, in NYC you can either pay for a single entry O-A, which costs $80, or get a multiple-entry visa to the tune of $200. But I think I get your point -- that applies only to the second year.

You are confusing single entry 'O' with multi-entry O-A. Different Visas

Just now, tonray said:

You are confusing single entry 'O' with multi-entry O-A. Different Visas

Actually, I think in the distant past the single entry Non Imm O-A (long stay) visa did exist. It was discontinued long ago, but the Thais are not very good about keeping their visa application details up to date. I have seen references to the single entry O-A from time to time.

• Like 1

@ubonjoe: Yes, you're right. For the record, there's a mismatch between the header that specifies a single entry option (as BritTim justly mentions) and the matrix below that indicates "multiple" as the only option.

Thanks for all! Now I'm clearly aware that I need to get my visa at the last minute, as to stretch out the date of my last re-entry.