Auditor general to play key role in preventing govt spending sprees, populist policies: Meechai

snoop1130

18 hours ago, Smarter Than You said:

Why shouldn't, why shouldn't, why shouldn't ....

What exactly is the role of the opposition political parties in elections and in parliament??

Seems to me your problem lies with the performance of Abhisit and the Democrats and not with PTP

What their role IS NOT is costing their opponents BS. That should be done by an independent body, as proposed.

Do you think it is a good idea for BS policies to be presented to the public without cost/benefit analysis? Why shouldn't the people be more informed, because crap policies win elections better?

Perhaps you should change your username to Smarter than Ewe.

Edited by halloween

18 hours ago, Smarter Than You said:

When you can't refute the argument, start regurgitating anti-PTP and anti-democracy nonsensical propaganda falsehoods.

The only reason you know anything about any misdeeds by Australian politicians is because the opposition party does it job, not because of some BS policy evaluation process.

It might be an idea to look into the process and how it works, because it DOES work. Feel free to point out any falsehoods, if you can.

20 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I am referring to your insult of people who voted by calling them ignorant. You should have some respect for the common people who may be not as educated as you but they are much more intelligent than you think by voting for the party who brought them benefits and a better standard of living. 

I am not Aussie and I don't think policy evaluation used there have brought the desired government that all Aussie want. They wanted for the term to expire to show their displeasure. Do the Aussie politicians lie? You know better.

As for the cost benefit analyse, it still based on certain assumptions and when the assumptions go awry, it is just a waste of paper like 5 years or 10 years plan. 

If you feel that I insulted you, I apologize. 

You object to 'ignorant', yet you don't want the voters to be informed. Isn't more than a little hypocritical? The process in Oz at the very least allows voters to evaluate policies presented, they didn't have to wait until they collapsed with massive debts and little if any return - like the rice scam.

BTW i believe the UK is looking into a similar scheme.

16 minutes ago, halloween said:

You object to 'ignorant', yet you don't want the voters to be informed. Isn't more than a little hypocritical? The process in Oz at the very least allows voters to evaluate policies presented, they didn't have to wait until they collapsed with massive debts and little if any return - like the rice scam.

So, the voters in the UK (and all other countries where they don't have this evaluation process) are making uninformed choices? 

Also, who should pick and make sure the "evaluators" are independent and actually give the right information?

53 minutes ago, Becker said:

So, the voters in the UK (and all other countries where they don't have this evaluation process) are making uninformed choices? 

Also, who should pick and make sure the "evaluators" are independent and actually give the right information?

That would seem to be the case, that's why the UK was looking at it, so the voters would be better informed. OTOH lying to parliament and the public are frowned upon in the UK and many other countries, while here, we have the Shinawatras, who couldn't lie straight in bed.

To ensure independence, there are a number of possibilities from the Public service or reputable major accounting firms. Oh wait, now you'll tell me they are 'elite' and there aren't any uneducated rice farmers included. 

35 minutes ago, halloween said:

That would seem to be the case, that's why the UK was looking at it, so the voters would be better informed. OTOH lying to parliament and the public are frowned upon in the UK and many other countries, while here, we have the Shinawatras, who couldn't lie straight in bed.

To ensure independence, there are a number of possibilities from the Public service or reputable major accounting firms. Oh wait, now you'll tell me they are 'elite' and there aren't any uneducated rice farmers included. 

Advice on how to make sure the public makes informed decisions from one that applauds a junta that does not allow the public to vote - except for one time when no public debate or dissenting views were tolerated.

Absolutely priceless, and hypocrisy of the highest order!!

45 minutes ago, halloween said:

To ensure independence there may be some possibilities.... but we can be sure these possibilities will not be used in Thailand:coffee1:

2 hours ago, halloween said:

The cost of the coup will dwarf the rice scheme. Over dramatic today? The rice scheme is less than 3% of GDP; not a massive debt. The rice scheme puts money in farmer hands and according to economist will generate 5 times multiple to the GDP. Submarines and tanks are outflow and generate zilch to the economy except for sales of Benz. 

14 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

The cost of the coup will dwarf the rice scheme. Over dramatic today? The rice scheme is less than 3% of GDP; not a massive debt. The rice scheme puts money in farmer hands and according to economist will generate 5 times multiple to the GDP. Submarines and tanks are outflow and generate zilch to the economy except for sales of Benz. 

So where was the 15% increase in GDP? What was there to show for $20 billion dollars except mountains of rotting rice still attracting storage fees? And without the coup, when would it have stopped, when the B2 trillion loan was all spent?

On 5/12/2017 at 2:17 PM, halloween said:

It might be an idea to look into the process and how it works, because it DOES work. Feel free to point out any falsehoods, if you can.

What process?

I am Australian and you're talking crap.

We've had nothing but peanuts in charge for a long time now, all of them subjecting us to their own version of vote buying money wasting idiocy.

We've just gone through a once in a century, tens of billions of dollars boom fuelled by China's appetite for our resources and have absolutely nothing to show for it except BUDGET DEFICITS. 

We pissed the whole lot of it up against the wall - at least the Thais got some rice stockpiled.

Process my ass!

11 hours ago, halloween said:

So where was the 15% increase in GDP? What was there to show for $20 billion dollars except mountains of rotting rice still attracting storage fees? And without the coup, when would it have stopped, when the B2 trillion loan was all spent?

The B2 T infrastructure loan is still lower than the B3 T and mounting that the junta will spent and set aside for themselves. Besides the incompetency of the junta only see more delays in the projects. That's what you get with the coup. 

2 hours ago, Smarter Than You said:

What process?

I am Australian and you're talking crap.

We've had nothing but peanuts in charge for a long time now, all of them subjecting us to their own version of vote buying money wasting idiocy.

We've just gone through a once in a century, tens of billions of dollars boom fuelled by China's appetite for our resources and have absolutely nothing to show for it except BUDGET DEFICITS. 

We pissed the whole lot of it up against the wall - at least the Thais got some rice stockpiled.

Process my ass!

http://theconversation.com/business-briefing-how-does-australias-policy-costing-body-the-pbo-compare-60622

Baaaa!

11 hours ago, halloween said:

Baaa what?

"The new organic law on the role and responsibilities of the auditor general would see the office acquiring new authority in preventing excessive government spending"

The Australian PBO is a toothless tiger, it does nothing other than crunch numbers, from there it is up to the Opposition parties and the media to try and dissuade the public from voting for the party proposing a policy. No matter what the outcome of the PBO's number crunching a political party can still implement their policy's unchanged should they win the election. Add to this the fact that the overwhelming majority of the citizens only really care about "what's in it for me" and couldn't give a rats about anything else (which explains our ongoing wasteful $13 billion a year negative gearing "scheme"). No member of the Australian general public is ever going to be skipping the footy and sitting down to read anything put out by the PBO (have you ever? I bet not!). Also, both major political parties always wait until the very last minute before an election to release the costings of their policies giving whatever fraction of the apathetic electorate actually cares insufficient time to do any real research. The day of any Australian election, you ask the a member of the general public a detailed question about policy costings and they will have absolutely no idea whatsoever - guaranteed!

To reiterate - Australia has NO authority that can PREVENT EXCESSIVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING. The only thing that can, is elections and due to the publics general inattention and greed, this always occurs after the fact. What Thailand needs is more elections not more power taken from the people and given to unelected cronies of an outdated and dying elite. Elections are what you should be championing so put your bigotry back in its box and stop pretending right is on your side - it isn't.

3 hours ago, Smarter Than You said:

Baaa what?

"The new organic law on the role and responsibilities of the auditor general would see the office acquiring new authority in preventing excessive government spending"

The Australian PBO is a toothless tiger, it does nothing other than crunch numbers, from there it is up to the Opposition parties and the media to try and dissuade the public from voting for the party proposing a policy. No matter what the outcome of the PBO's number crunching a political party can still implement their policy's unchanged should they win the election. Add to this the fact that the overwhelming majority of the citizens only really care about "what's in it for me" and couldn't give a rats about anything else (which explains our ongoing wasteful $13 billion a year negative gearing "scheme"). No member of the Australian general public is ever going to be skipping the footy and sitting down to read anything put out by the PBO (have you ever? I bet not!). Also, both major political parties always wait until the very last minute before an election to release the costings of their policies giving whatever fraction of the apathetic electorate actually cares insufficient time to do any real research. The day of any Australian election, you ask the a member of the general public a detailed question about policy costings and they will have absolutely no idea whatsoever - guaranteed!

To reiterate - Australia has NO authority that can PREVENT EXCESSIVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING. The only thing that can, is elections and due to the publics general inattention and greed, this always occurs after the fact. What Thailand needs is more elections not more power taken from the people and given to unelected cronies of an outdated and dying elite. Elections are what you should be championing so put your bigotry back in its box and stop pretending right is on your side - it isn't.

Your lack of knowledge is abysmal - starting with negative gearing and then extending itself. I can recall several policies that were modified when the costing was shown to be inaccurate. In the earlier version, all campaign policies were costed and the results released to the public, apparently to little avail in your case. the point of the exercise is that the apathetic public doesn't have to do research, it is done for them and the results presented.

But at least we have advanced - you now know their is a procedure. i suppose you have to denigrate it defend your ignorance.