In shock move, Trump fires FBI Director Comey

webfact

8 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

Trump has stated that Comey told him that he was not under investigation.

Do you have proof that there is even an ongoing investigation because the allegation of an ongoing FBI investigation should not be publicized, yes?

In any event, I recently heard a quote from Trump where we was encouraging such an investigation by the FBI or maybe I'm hearing things these days.

"Trump has stated that Comey told him that he was not under investigation."

I consider claims made by Trump, unsubstantiated by other sources, to be far less reliable than news from legitimate news sources. 

I'm sure Trump asked the inappropriate question.  Comey may have attempted to dodge the issue by emphasizing that the investigation was focused on Russian interference in the election, and Trump interpreted the reply as assurance he was not under investigation.

"Do you have proof that there is even an ongoing investigation because the allegation of an ongoing FBI investigation should not be publicized, yes?"

Huh?  Are you questioning whether the FBI is investigating Russian attempts to influence the 2016 election?  The FBI has made no secret of that.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

Frankly, didn't even look there. I must be slipping. :biggrin:

Save your time.

You won't find it there.

It took me about 8 seconds to find it and refute your groundless gibberish.

:coffee1:

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

A good editorial.  Even Charles Krauthammer, who generally bends over backwards to accommodate conservative politicians, acknowledges the obvious.

24 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

Whether or not the rank-and-file liked Comey is moot.

It's still moot at this point, isn't it?

No it is not.

You questioned the facts in my post.

I refuted your erroneous nonsense and now, you put forth a weak attempt to change the narrative of your initial post.

Cheesy.

Edited by iReason

This article dates from March 20, 2017
FBI Director Comey confirms probe of possible coordination between Kremlin and Trump campaign

FBI Director James B. Comey acknowledged Monday that his agency is conducting an investigation into possible coordination between the Kremlin and the Trump campaign in a counterintelligence probe that could reach all the way to the White House and may last for months.

The extraordinary disclosure came near the beginning of a sprawling, 5½ -hour public hearing before the House Intelligence Committee in which Comey also said there is “no information” that supports President Trump’s claims that his predecessor ordered surveillance of Trump Tower during the election campaign...

Comey also said he was authorized by the Justice Department to confirm the existence of the wide-ranging probe into Russian interference in the electoral process.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/fbi-director-to-testify-on-russian-interference-in-the-presidential-election/2017/03/20/cdea86ca-0ce2-11e7-9d5a-a83e627dc120_story.html?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.84bff2cdd226
Edited by ilostmypassword

8 minutes ago, iReason said:

Save your time.

You won't find it there.

It took me about 8 seconds to find it and refute your groundless gibberish.

If you're going to quote reply, I'd appreciate it if you would not edit it. Very poor form.

You omitted some of my "groundless gibberish" such as how moot the whole issue is w/r to Comey's popularity with the rank and file FBI agents.

Popularity with the rank and file, if that is indeed the case, apparently did not "trump" his unprofessional actions at a minimum.

7 minutes ago, iReason said:

No it is not.

You questioned the facts in my post.

I refuted your erroneous nonsense and now, you put forth a weak attempt to change the narrative of your initial post.

Cheesy.

Please explain to us why you believe the issue of Comey's popularity with the rank and file is not moot at this point.

Just now, MaxYakov said:

Please explain to us why you believe the issue of Comey's popularity with the rank and file is not moot at this point.

Please explain why you haven't acknowledged that it was explicitly acknowledged by the Comey on March 20, 2017, with the consent of the Justice Department, that there was on ongoing investigation of a possible link between Trump's campaign and Russian operatives.

6 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

If you're going to quote reply, I'd appreciate it if you would not edit it. Very poor form.

You omitted some of my "groundless gibberish" such as how moot the whole issue is w/r to Comey's popularity with the rank and file FBI agents.

Popularity with the rank and file, if that is indeed the case, apparently did not "trump" his unprofessional actions at a minimum.

So people guilty of unprofessional actions should be fired?  I guess Attorney General Sessions is next.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/05/11/jeff-sessions-is-in-deep-trouble-and-heres-why/ 

Of course there is someone else in the White House acting unprofessionally, but firing him is tricky.

Trump admits 'this Russia thing' was part of reasoning for firing James Comey

President admits the allegations of collusion between his advisers and Russian officials played into sacking of FBI director (sub-title)

"Donald Trump has said he was thinking of “this Russia thing” when he decided James Comey’s fate – contradicting the White House rationale that he fired the FBI director for mishandling the Clinton email investigation."

"Comey had been leading an investigation into possible collusion between Trump advisers and Russian officials when he was dismissed by the president. Defending that decision in an interview on NBC News on Thursday, Trump said: “And, in fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said: ‘You know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story, it’s an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should’ve won."

"In the NBC interview Trump also flatly contradicted his own vice-president and spokesman by saying he decided to fire James Comey before receiving a recommendation from the deputy attorney general."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/11/donald-trump-james-comey-firing-russia-investigation

19 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Quoting the Bible won't help your case and free debate has long gone here

It's like those debates on evolution vs. creationism.  Facts can be so unfair. I mean, you're blaming people on this forum for ganging up on you when the real problem is that it's virtually impossible to defend Donald Trump given that he demonstrably lies all the time and denies saying things he's been record saying on video. You've set yourself an impossible task.  Just accept that.

Edited by ilostmypassword

My Dinner With Comey: Current and Former FBI Officials Dispute Trump Account of Meeting With FBI Director

"Despite what President Donald Trump said earlier in the day, James Comey did not seek a dinner with the president to retain his job, one current and one former FBI official close to Comey told NBC News Thursday evening."

"The January dinner meeting between the two men, the sources said, was requested by the White House. And the former senior FBI official said Comey would never have told the president he was not under investigation — also contradicting what Trump said."

"He tried to stay away from it [the Russian-ties investigation]," said the former official, who worked closely with Comey and keeps in touch with him. "He would say, 'look sir, I really can't get into it, and you don't want me to."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigations/my-dinner-comey-current-former-fbi-officials-dispute-trump-account-n758221

Looks like they are calling Trump a liar...

No surprise, the guy is World Class when it comes to lying.

Edited by iReason

2 minutes ago, iReason said:

My Dinner With Comey: Current and Former FBI Officials Dispute Trump Account of Meeting With FBI Director

"Despite what President Donald Trump said earlier in the day, James Comey did not seek a dinner with the president to retain his job, one current and one former FBI official close to Comey told NBC News Thursday evening."

"The January dinner meeting between the two men, the sources said, was requested by the White House. And the former senior FBI official said Comey would never have told the president he was not under investigation — also contradicting what Trump said."

"He tried to stay away from it [the Russian-ties investigation]," said the former official, who worked closely with Comey and keeps in touch with him. "He would say, 'look sir, I really can't get into it, and you don't want me to."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigations/my-dinner-comey-current-former-fbi-officials-dispute-trump-account-n758221

I get the impression that while trying to spin this story, the White House is drilling itself into a hole.

I get the impression that while trying to spin this story, the White House is drilling itself into a hole.

Yes but they still retain their hard core "don't give a damn" trumpist base regardless. Approximately 35 to 40 percent of the public. Will be never go up. What kind of bizarre presidency us this?

11 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

It's like those debates on evolution vs. creationism.  Facts can be so unfair. I mean, you're blaming people on this forum for ganging up on you when the real problem is that it's virtually impossible to defend Donald Trump given that he demonstrably lies all the time and denies saying things he's been record saying on video. You've set yourself an impossible task.  Just accept that.

I'm not a trump supporter but I am a supporter of free-speech and debate and I was merely commenting on another poster who felt he was wasting his time putting a counter-argument on here.

11 minutes ago, heybruce said:

It's like,a kid trying to talk his way out of trouble. One fib after another. If everything's above board why is the WH on the defensive.?

10 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

I'm not a trump supporter but I am a supporter of free-speech and debate and I was merely commenting on another poster who felt he was wasting his time putting a counter-argument on here.

Perhaps you need to be aware that the other poster has said exactly  the same thing several times before recently on other threads. He says it when he puts himself in an untenable position. Today it was when he quoted an alt right wing news site and was called out on it. (That post has been deleted by TV). When it gets difficult he does not back down or say 'my mistake' he simply says the thread is full of Trump haters and he is leaving. Would you like me to quote the threads where he has previously said the same thing?

12 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

I am not a Trump supporter, necessarily. He is what he is and I'm not confident nor qualified to comment on his mental stability. If one didn't have at least a high level of ego and confidence, they probably wouldn't have even run for President, much less tried to perform the responsibilities.

However, his predecessor exhibited and is still exhibiting exactly the same traits you're accusing Trump of having. I've seen the word counts of pronoun references to himself by the previous president in his speeches, have you? The counts are ridiculously high, if you hadn't been aware.

Were you complaining as much about him when he was in office?

Obama is exhibiting the same traits as the man-child?? You've seen the word count of pronoun references??

Right....sure....OK.

2 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Well, his arguments were virtually always weak and his assertions generally provably wrong.

13 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

I am not a Trump supporter, necessarily. He is what he is and I'm not confident nor qualified to comment on his mental stability. If one didn't have at least a high level of ego and confidence, they probably wouldn't have even run for President, much less tried to perform the responsibilities.

However, his predecessor exhibited and is still exhibiting exactly the same traits you're accusing Trump of having. I've seen the word counts of pronoun references to himself by the previous president in his speeches, have you? The counts are ridiculously high, if you hadn't been aware.

Were you complaining as much about him when he was in office?

This stuff about word count of the first person in Obama's speeches is more than nullified by something you don't cite: The number of time he used the first person pronoun in his press conferences. In press conferences the answers are off the cuff and not a product of speechwriters.  So if you want to get a revealing look at the person go to those.  And you know what?

A quick survey byBuzzFeed in 2014 purported to show that in press conferences Obama has been more sparing in his use of personal pronouns (I, me, my, mine, and myself) than most of his predecessors. According toBuzzFeed, “Obama is maybe the least narcissistic president since 1945.” This means less than Truman, Eisenhower, or George H. W. Bush.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-i-factor/article/841033

1 hour ago, iReason said:

Given the contents of the letter of dismissal from Trump and his interview on NBC yesterday, Comey could use this very video to secure one of the biggest  wrongful dismissal cases ever. Can you guy's do that in the US?

Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein threatened to resign after White House pinned Comey’s firing on him: report

"Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein considered resigning Tuesday night after he started to be cast as the person behind the decision to fire FBI director James Comey, according to a report."

"Rosenstein was upset when he started to be painted as the person whose recommendation President Trump acted on when choosing to relieve Comey of his duties, an anonymous person close to the White House told the Washington Post."

"Trump had made up his mind to fire Comey Monday when he tasked Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Rosenstein to explain in writing why the FBI director had to be fired, White House officials told the Post."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/rod-rosenstein-reportedly-threatened-resign-comey-firing-article-1.3154920

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Opinion: Jeff Sessions is in deep trouble, and here's why

Sadly, no one in this administration will ever be in deep trouble so long as the legislative branch refuses to hold any of them accountable.  We can only hope things will change in 2018, or constituents start hounding their representatives at town halls.

4 hours ago, Becker said:

Obama is exhibiting the same traits as the man-child?? You've seen the word count of pronoun references??

Right....sure....OK.

Glad you agree with me. :biggrin:

Narcissism seems to be the biggest common factor w/r to Trump and Obama.

I've heard several self-referencing personal pronoun (I, me) counts from dear departed Obama's speeches. What irked me the most was Obama's lack of knowledge of correct pronoun selection (albeit it's a common mistake these days even with speaking professionals who should know better). Even Trump's letter firing Comey contained a glaring personal pronoun usage error. 

Here's a link to an NBC article containing Trump's letter firing Comey. Can you find the misuse of a personal pronoun in the letter?  Here's an interesting quote from the letter:

"While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation, I nevertheless concur with the judgment of the Department of Justice that you are not able to effectively lead the Bureau."

Edited by MaxYakov

2 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

Given the contents of the letter of dismissal from Trump and his interview on NBC yesterday, Comey could use this very video to secure one of the biggest  wrongful dismissal cases ever. Can you guy's do that in the US?

Probably not, but it would be so cool, and embarrassing for Trump, if he tried.

You're fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we are making a big deal of this.

I'm not a Trump guy. but he just simply fired the guy. I believe him. 

it wasn't well thought out.... that's it.  but it sure is being thought out afterwards by everyone else.  and it has no connection to what Nixon did in firing Cox, there's Zero parallel.

Edited by maewang99

^^^

One more poster who professes and generally prefaces to not be "a Trump guy", "I'm not a Trump supporter", "I don't support Trump", "I didn't vote for Trump, but..."

(Of which there are at least a half a dozen of them on these threads) yet, charges in with a defense of the inept, incompetent, unqualified occupier of the White House.

It's suspiciously common.

Is it in the troll training manual?

Yawn...

Edited by iReason