Badly translated poster gives 'Dunkirk' darker ending

webfact

Badly translated poster gives 'Dunkirk' darker ending

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

dunkirksmall-696x349.jpg

At left, the original English-language poster for ‘Dunkirk.’ At right, the botched Thai translation.

BANGKOK — A mistranslated advertisement for World War II movie “Dunkirk” was taken offline Wednesday after making Thai netizens shake their red-cheeked faces in shame for several days.

The official Thai Facebook page for the movie about the Dunkirk evacuation directed by Christopher Nolan posted a crucial mistranslation in a promotional ad for the film. The poster went online April 20 but didn’t begin gaining notoriety until Monday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/net/2017/05/10/badly-translated-poster-gives-dunkirk-darker-ending/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-05-10

Ah Yes Dunkirk,Not one of The Uks finest hours. Retreating from the Germans in France and the  evacuation of 330,000 Allied troupes with the UK having 68,000 killed wounded or captured.The UK leaving behind 63,000 vehicles and 2,500 field.

4 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

Ah Yes Dunkirk,Not one of The Uks finest hours. Retreating from the Germans in France and the  evacuation of 330,000 Allied troupes with the UK having 68,000 killed wounded or captured.The UK leaving behind 63,000 vehicles and 2,500 field.

Better to retreat and fight another day. Dont know where your from but you are not Speaking German or Japanese i see, Maybe not such a failure then.

3 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Better to retreat and fight another day. Dont know where your from but you are not Speaking German or Japanese i see, Maybe not such a failure then.

The final ignominious end to a disastrous campaign.

Britain was not saved, nor was the war prosecuted any more successfully by the Allies because of it.

Thanks to Dowding that Fighter Command survived the misadventure...........the rest is history.

But most prefer the myth to reality.

Edited by Enoon

Given far too many Thais' knowledge of WWII, it might well not be an error. 

'"If you don’t know how to translate then use Google to research.".' wrote Facebook user Supalak Ueasiyapan.' Google would probably produce even more errors. 

4 hours ago, sanukjim said:

Obviously you should have been there. 

Britain was not saved, nor was the war prosecuted any more successfully by the Allies because of it.

Thanks to Dowding that Fighter Command survived the misadventure...........the rest is history.

What myth?

So many negative people around here, its what happens in the end that counts and many too day have those who gave their lives to be thankful for or you would be still living under Hitlers regime today if not for them.

But some of us are still by the looks of things and act like it too.

5 hours ago, sanukjim said:

Anyone know how to translate "japan invades Thailand and the Thai military surrenders after less than 2 days then negotiates to save their skins by allowing the Japs to use the population as slave labour. Declares war on the allies but half hartedly, swaps and changes sides and history tells the story of who really knows what side Thailand was on".

My granddad was telling me how hard it was at Dunkirk..

Trying to get to the beach in double quick time before the boats left wasn’t easy—the terrain was rough and he hadn’t really got to grips with his new Panzer tank at all............:coffee1:

5 hours ago, sanukjim said:

Not so, it was indeed a fine example of camaraderie where civilians came to the rescue of the armed forces, that rather than waiting for armies from other countries to come and help!

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

They lost an awful lot of kit.

Kit can be replaced.

Men cannot.

51 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

My granddad was telling me how hard it was at Dunkirk..

Trying to get to the beach in double quick time before the boats left wasn’t easy—the terrain was rough and he hadn’t really got to grips with his new Panzer tank at all............:coffee1:

Sad indeed but my grandfather died in a concentration camp

He fell out of the watchtower

A few years back when I was practising reading Thai, I was watching the film “Meet The Fokkers”, with my then girlfriend.

It had an English soundtrack with Thai subtitles.

While idly reading some of the subtitles, there was a scene when Robert DeNiro came home, announcing, “Honey, I’m home!”

The Thai subtitles said, Honey I’m home!”, too. The Thai sub-titler couldn’t have paying attention, as instead of using the Thai word for sweetheart, they used the word for honey from a bee. (น้ำผึ้ง - nam phung).

Edited by bluesofa

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

A few years back when I was practising reading Thai, I was watching the film “Meet The Fokkers”, with my then girlfriend.

It had an English soundtrack with Thai subtitles.

While idly reading some of the subtitles, there was a scene when Robert DeNiro came home, announcing, “Honey, I’m home!”

The Thai subtitles said, Honey I’m home!”, too. The Thai sub-titler couldn’t have paying attention, as instead of using the Thai word for sweetheart, they used the word for honey from a bee. (น้ำผึ้ง - nam phung).

Could have created a real sticky situation !

18 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Not so, it was indeed a fine example of camaraderie where civilians came to the rescue of the armed forces, that rather than waiting for armies from other countries to come and help!

It was quite clearly a humiliating retreat and defeat for the British. It was dressed up as a moral victory by the use of propaganda in order to sustain morale. You have obviously fallen for the propaganda...

18 minutes ago, claffey said:

It was quite clearly a humiliating retreat and defeat for the British. It was dressed up as a moral victory by the use of propaganda in order to sustain morale. You have obviously fallen for the propaganda...

But they did go back with some friends and kicked the Nazis arse

all the way back to Berlin, it's not who wins or loses a battle but

who wins the War.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, claffey said:

Every picture has more than one view, I chose to accentuate the positive, the things that the British people remember about Dunkirk, you choose to highlight the negative - history will remember Dunkirk as the armada of small civilian boats, not the military defeat.

16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

But they did go back with some friends and kicked the Nazis arse

all the way back to Berlin, it's not who wins or loses a battle but

who wins the War.

regards worgeordie

The Red Army defeated the Nazis. The Western allies were a sideshow and inched towards Berlin while The Russians swept across the continent in one devastating blow. That's why the Russians emerged as a superpower. Obviously many Brits feel that 'they won the war' but that's because that's what they were told. They haven't read or learned anything about the Eastern front where most of the fighting took place.