Are the bars open tonight

Seizetheday

10 days since Labour Day holiday and less than a month since Songkran. I am retired, so every day is a holiday for me, but this seems excessive. Is it normal accross South East Asia to have so many holidays?

5 hours ago, champers said:

10 days since Labour Day holiday and less than a month since Songkran. I am retired, so every day is a holiday for me, but this seems excessive. Is it normal accross South East Asia to have so many holidays?

A lot of holidays, almost every month. Many dry days too, including a two-day dry period. There looks like a couple of extra holidays this year too (but I won't be here). 

2017 Public Holidays in Thailand

13 hours ago, champers said:

April and May it definitely gets ridiculous, eases off now though until July. 

20 hours ago, champers said:

Thailand has lots of holidays because not only Asian ones, but Euro ones as well.

If you are referring to dry holidays, not so many as for religious reasons or before elections.

14 hours ago, GaryB1263 said:

Pattaya opens back up at midnight tonight. Unofficially at 10 or 11 PM.

It was beaut last night, as the drinks wagon across the street that always turns up the volume after midnight had to close at midnight, and obviously couldn't be bothered coming out after midnight last night- two nights peace- good result.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thailand has lots of holidays because not only Asian ones, but Euro ones as well.

If you are referring to dry holidays, not so many as for religious reasons or before elections.

I was wondering how the number of holidays in Thailand stacks up against other nations in the region. Are they lagging behind in terms of productivity and output?

On 5/9/2017 at 11:54 PM, champers said:

yep, the constant holidays here are overkill.
most of them are kind of drawn out where people want to linger and not go back inside or too work (if they have a job) tacking on a before and after phase which makes them linger. they also tend to be kind of the same celebatory-wise imo with people just crowding/hanging around, drinking, being loud etc.

i stopped going out on public holidays and just wait for a regular day. that's plenty crowded and crazy for me. also i dont need to worry about closures. very similar to other things here which can seem overly enthusiastic making them potentially less meaningful and may therefore become irritating after awhile.

Edited by JimCrane