Five tourists injured as "stairway collapses" in Ang Thong - Koh Samui National Park

webfact

Five tourists injured as "stairway collapses" in Ang Thong - Koh Samui National Park

1am.jpg

Picture: Daily News

SAMUI: -- Five tourists were rushed by speedboat to Koh Samui after a stairway collapsed at the Ang Thong - Koh Samui Marine national park.

All of the tourists were taken to Koh Samui hospital and all were out of danger at press time.

A quantity of other tourists also had superficial injuries.

Daily News reported in their headline that a viewing platform collapsed but Nongyao Jirandorn a tourism official said initial reports suggested it was a staircase leading to where the tourists were getting on a boat to go back to Samui after a day out.

Three male tourists and two females were injured. One was pictured in a leg brace.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-11

Just now, stutz said:

Most likely it is the same rickety stairway I climbed 25 years ago to get to the viewpoint. The local builders clearly never envisioned 1,000 people a day scurring up to the top.

Actually it's not... now you know!

Farangs are charged more for entrance fees so they get more.... time in hospital at an additional charge.....now, whose fault do we suppose it will be: but of course  farangs too many of them on the platform.....

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

have to wonder where the national park entrance fees go. well not really. money seems to vanish in thailand with no accountability.

Have a look at the state of some of the walkways in national parks, a disgrace.

The Army beach at Hua HIn has bridges over fish ponds that children walk over, that are falling to bits, then so are the fences around the beach and restaurant .

34 minutes ago, stutz said:

Most likely it is the same rickety stairway I climbed 25 years ago to get to the viewpoint. The local builders clearly never envisioned 1,000 people a day scurring up to the top.

I remember many times trying to go from dock, stand on edge of boat (which is bouncing in the waves) nothing to grab to keep balance and try stepping down to the bottom of the boat. I never saw any ramps, if a ramp moving boards, holy boards, rotten boards. It's a wonder many people haven't slipped.........

Hopefully all the injured will recover quickly.

In the meantime, I shall be waiting to hear from the 'head warden'/'head of maintenance' -- or whoever is responsible for checking safety within the park when the last inspection was made and by whom and how regularly all structures in the park are inspected.

And how many days the person responsible for this negligence will have to stay in the local temple as penance before returning to his original position!

From the pictures of the accident being shared online yesterday, it looks like that it's this wooden view-platform at left of the staircase that has collapsed...

wDSC03577_Ang-Thong-platform.jpg.750f3f4f81877c782587cedac9eab30f.jpg
(Photo from March, 2016)

wDSC03575_Mae-Koh-map.jpg.6291291c557734afa416330e0841e30a.jpg

Sad accident, but good no one was seriously injured.

It seems it is stairs up to the viewing platform for the Lagoon, as I recall it is 80m above sea level, a hell of a climb but worth it.

Has a lot of visitors daily so suppose the real problem is how to close it occasionally so that maintenance can be done.

Just now, Basil B said:

It seems it is stairs up to the viewing platform for the Lagoon, as I recall it is 80m above sea level, a hell of a climb but worth it.

Has a lot of visitors daily so suppose the real problem is how to close it occasionally so that maintenance can be done.

They did redo the steps and platform several years ago  maybe six or seven years, (?)  I remember seeing it being done )  ... 

They worked it in a way people could still get to view point... Using metal girders under the platforms...and some of the steps.

I am sure they will being lookng carefully at the whole construction,  yes 100's of visitors daily... second to those who go to Koh Toa on day trips .

Accidents happen here all the time, everyday by "brake failior", "screw failior" or "responsibility failior". People die or injure, in result which is not important. Important is life is going on for others. 

Welcome to LOS. 

5 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

Keep to topic, and no Thai bashing...  two posts already removed.

I'm not trying to be contentious but it appears almost all the posts here are critical of Thai construction and maintenance standards and their unsatisfactory response to consequent accidents. What constitutes "Thai bashing " in this respect?

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

I'm not trying to be contentious but it appears almost all the posts here are critical of Thai construction and maintenance standards and their unsatisfactory response to consequent accidents. What constitutes "Thai bashing " in this respect?

Because it not all as bad a some people  (trolls) imagine...

Accidents happen all over the world as several people have pointed out.

1 minute ago, samuijimmy said:

Because it not all as bad a some people  (trolls) imagine...

Accidents happen all over the world as several people have pointed out.

They're all accidents Jimmy, but the question remains were they preventable by better more responsible construction/ maintenance? There is the concept of negligence which in a lot of the rest of the world will deem you culpable, thus ensuring that those responsible take more care . This is something I rarely see as a concept here and it is not unfair to highlight that.

27 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

They're all accidents Jimmy, but the question remains were they preventable by better more responsible construction/ maintenance? There is the concept of negligence which in a lot of the rest of the world will deem you culpable, thus ensuring that those responsible take more care . This is something I rarely see as a concept here and it is not unfair to highlight that.

Perhaps preventable, these kind of threads just go way overboard on ridiculous comments.... this is why I and many others don't read much here anymore ....:angry:

I just signed up to write this reply. Me as one of the people involved in this accident can only say that the first aid, transport to Samui and treatment in the hospital were very good. 

We didn't need to pay anything, today was the second visit in hospital. Again, paid nothing. As my wrist is broken and my feets are damaged this will go on until I leave. 

Today we had a visit from the ministry of tourism and they told us that we just need to say what we need and they will help us. 

Shit like this can happen to you in countrys like this and I'm aware of this.

IMG_2725.thumb.JPG.50f896c65e4efef4d1ba7cd1b2a71713.JPG

Edited by samuijimmy
lined up text and photo