think before buying next water on the streets

opalred

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

I have a foreigner friend who drinks out of the tap in Bangkok every day. Never been sick. Up to you.

Bangkok tap water is safe to drink at source and from most taps (and this has been true for decades - US Embassy ran tests more than 37 years ago and tap water in central Bangkok was consistently better than bottled water of that era.  Great improvements have been made in delivery since then so in almost all cases tap water is of drinking quality if sourced to Bangkok water supply.  

But unchanged filters and such could cause issues at those locations.

I get my water out of the street machines, 3 baht for 2 litres. However, it is always boiled when I get home. Same goes for the ice made from it.

Out at a restaurant, it's beer yenn yenn - mai ow narm kaeng. If they can't supply a cold beer without ice, I walk out.

Paranoid? Maybe. I've been here 9 years, and have never had a water-related gastric problem.

22 hours ago, keeniau96 said:

At my house have our water well, drilled down 57 m, large tank 10k liters, filter from tank output to house. Then kitchen has another filter. I trust this water. Outside I trust the bottled from throw-away bottles, not hard, refillable ones. Just because I am paranoid does not mean there are not bacteria out to get me.

Why do you trust your well water? Do you have it regularly tested?  Filters will not help against some contaminants and certainly not against radon. Water before filtration and water after filtration should be regularly  monitored.

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

You do know that the skin is the largest organ of the body? And you absorb water while taking a shower? :passifier:

While you can absorb things like minerals, nutrients and chemicals through the skin, your epidermis is literally made to be water resistant. This means that no matter how long you stay submerged in water, you’re not really pulling in the water into your system.

But what about when you get all wrinkly in the bath? Well that has to do with the most outer layers of skin cells, the stratum corneum, which is essentially dead cells. These dead cells soak up the water, causing them to bloat and wrinkle the skin, but the water really doesn’t get anywhere past them. So your 1 hour baths can still make you thirsty.

http://explainedhealth.com/an-explanation-of-water-and-your-body/

22 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

I get my water out of the street machines, 3 baht for 2 litres. However, it is always boiled when I get home. Same goes for the ice made from it.

Out at a restaurant, it's beer yenn yenn - mai ow narm kaeng. If they can't supply a cold beer without ice, I walk out.

Paranoid? Maybe. I've been here 9 years, and have never had a water-related gastric problem.

Some parasites and prion related illnesses take their time to develop. Also, the impact of heavy metals and the aromatic organic compounds (the double carbon highly reactive chains - hence the  aromatic  nomer) takes years. You usually discover it when your liver disintegrates or your kidneys stop working or you develop a cancer.  No worries though. You will be ok, you are super farang.

6 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Why do you trust your well water? Do you have it regularly tested?  Filters will not help against some contaminants and certainly not against radon. Water before filtration and water after filtration should be regularly  monitored.

How do I remove radon from my drinking water?

Radon can be removed from water by using one of two methods:

Aeration treatment - spraying water or mixing it with air and then venting the air from the water before use, or

GAC treatment - filtering water through granular activated carbon. Radon attaches to the carbon and leaves the water free of radon. Disposing of the carbon may require special handling if it is used at a high radon level or if it has been used for a long time.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/wells/disease/radon.html

Generally I would not use water filter machines. For the sake of a 7 baht or 14 baht for a big bottle it's safer to buy them at 7/11. At home I have one of those 5 stage filters that you can buy on Lazada for 1300 baht for drinking water. In addition I have a 10" polypropylene inline filter for the house water; this filters out huge amounts of scale and crap and means the toilet/sink etc does not get scaled up, the water valve on the washing does not get clogged up, ballcock on the tank does not get grit in it and stick open and the tank overflows; one of the best things I have done. The inline filter cost 300 baht on Lazada. Then you can get replacement 10" pp filters in pack's of 8 or 10 for about 400 baht. Mostly the pp filters need changing; I move the drinking water one to the supply one and then put a new one on the drinking water filter. The old filters get chopped up and use as kindle in charcoal fires!

11 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Some parasites and prion related illnesses take their time to develop. Also, the impact of heavy metals and the aromatic organic compounds (the double carbon highly reactive chains - hence the  aromatic  nomer) takes years. You usually discover it when your liver disintegrates or your kidneys stop working or you develop a cancer.  No worries though. You will be ok, you are super farang.

"prion related illnesses" - Prion diseases in humans are fairly rare – about 1 in 1 million people dies of a prion disease each year

Who is at risk for prion diseases?

Risk factors for prion disease include: 

• Family history of prion disease
  • Eating meat infected by “mad cow disease”
  • Infection from receiving contaminated corneas or from contaminated medical equipment

No mention of contaminated water for human prion diseases.

When I first came to Thailand  those big bottles of drinking water cost 10 Baht.

14 years later they still cost 10 Baht.

Logic tells me that they cannot pay for equipment, staff, delivery truck, diesel, insurance etc and still produce 100% pure drinking water for that price.

I live in small village in north Thailand. GF is refilling 20 litres bottles al local "water company".  Which I think it's crazy. I drink tap water at regular basis. Which my GF thinks it's crazy. And after 5 years I'm still alive. :crazy:

During "dry seasson" you can actually smell that tap water. It's something between fish and lake mud. But still never had problem drinking it.

But I'm weird farang. I drink tap water, don't have problem with swimming in lakes or rivers etc. But I believe stories, that you posting here. If some of these spoilet Bangkok expats, who are cleaning teeths with bottled water, tried to drink my tap water, they would probably die by horrible and paintfull death. 

Edited by howard ashoul

58 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

Tap water is safe to drink here anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Luck with that. :sick:

I have one of those counter top water filters in my kitchen.

After one month the ceramic filter was covered in brown sludge.

Edited by Phuket Man

7 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

Good Luck with that. :sick:

I have one of those counter top water filters in my kitchen.

After one month the ceramic filter was covered in brown sludge.

Your body can easily take care of that however - what do you think it would look like if you tried filtering your normal meal?    

1 hour ago, howard ashoul said:

I live in small village in north Thailand. GF is refilling 20 litres bottles al local "water company".  Which I think it's crazy. I drink tap water at regular basis. Which my GF thinks it's crazy. And after 5 years I'm still alive. :crazy:

During "dry seasson" you can actually smell that tap water. It's something between fish and lake mud. But still never had problem drinking it.

But I'm weird farang. I drink tap water, don't have problem with swimming in lakes or rivers etc. But I believe stories, that you posting here. If some of these spoilet Bangkok expats, who are cleaning teeths with bottled water, tried to drink my tap water, they would probably die by horrible and paintfull death. 

I never drink tap water as you can tell by water filters installed in our kitchen how dirty they get over time. Even in USA I had water start to come out with less force ,checked to find filter was clogging up.  Dirty water depending on bacteria poluution or minerals/toxic chemicals is not going to make you sick or kill you right away. Its the accumalation of the  toxins/bacteria over time that wil kill you. Even drinking water from lead bleeding/corroded pipes will take years to kill you. Drink up, just because it looks clean /clear doesn;t mean its not hazardous.

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Your body can easily take care of that however - what do you think it would look like if you tried filtering your normal meal?    

So your saying our bodies can act like a filter and take out all that sludge that the water filters took out? And why add stress to the body by making it clean dirty water with dirt, minerals, chemicals and bacteria thru ourliver and kidneys.? Much of it will not be able to be escreated and will store up in fat cells of body causeing possible cancers or other disease in time.

11 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

So your saying our bodies can act like a filter and take out all that sludge that the water filters took out? And why add stress to the body by making it clean dirty water with dirt, minerals, chemicals and bacteria thru ourliver and kidneys.? Much of it will not be able to be escreated and will store up in fat cells of body causeing possible cancers or other disease in time.

I am saying it is so little as to be insignificant to most peoples life - but if someone prefers to live like Howard Hughes so be it.  Different choices are good.

4 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Just what I was thinking.  Our well water comes from the water table which may or may not be at the same level as the water in the rice fields around us. I would love to drink the tap water but after spraying god knows what on the rice fields for the past 25 years ..............I could I suppose get the water checked but how well would it get checked and where could I get it checked ?

Been meaning to post this for a while now . The 20 L bottles of water that get delivered to the house every week for 12B each, where does it come from ? The truck driver delivers it so he must get paid  and how good is the water at 12 B for 20 litres ?

years ago lived in cm city  gf  had water delivered in 20lt bottles too

the boy delivering it father picked up bottles an stuff from the streets

gf and i took our empty beer bottles around to his place

father had large shed for his recycling

guess what was at the back of the shed

some lads washing 20lt bottles  and filling with a hose

maybe they went to other people not us 

Just a thought tap water and a lot of people's aversion to it here in thailand. I wonder how many filter the water for drinking a good % I would say. Which is good. How many filter the water coming into house for showers and wash basins not so many in fact a small % of us i dare to bet i dont.. I brush my teeth twice daily using tap water how many others do?. I shower as many times as needed during the day using tap water how many others do?. I bite my nails (terrible habit) after washing or showering. I cook my veg and spuds in tap water. I havent been ill through these practises. I belive like the fear of snakes (even though a vast majority have never come into contact with them) its all in the mind. Put there by wives tales and folk law. And of course bottled water companies.

Edited by jeab1980

19 hours ago, tazly said:

who leaves the whiskey in their glass long enough to see the ice melt....for that matter who would add ice to god's nectar.....unless of course you are drinking some rotgut

Depends on the size of the glass.....:smile:

36 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Just a thought tap water and a lot of people's aversion to it here in thailand. I wonder how many filter the water for drinking a good % I would say. Which is good. How many filter the water coming into house for showers and wash basins not so many in fact a small % of us i dare to bet i dont.. I brush my teeth twice daily using tap water how many others do?. I shower as many times as needed during the day using tap water how many others do?. I bite my nails (terrible habit) after washing or showering. I cook my veg and spuds in tap water. I havent been ill through these practises. I belive like the fear of snakes (even though a vast majority have never come into contact with them) its all in the mind. Put there by wives tales and folk law. And of course bottled water companies.

Ok lets look at your points most don't drink tap water, good. Water in shower and wash basins --most have electric wall units that heat the water killing most bacteria and the water on skin is being washed with soap therefore killing more and washing away toxins on body. If it was so easy to have bacteria kill us we would all be dead due to bacteria in air. Food cooked in tap water will have all bacteria killed if brought to a boil and we are not talking about klong water but tap which few places anywhere in the world would have enough chemicals/minerals or toxins like lead ect in tap water to affect anyone taking a shower with it. The little we get in our mouths and spit  out when brusing is insignificant plus the toothpast or mouth wash would kill those germs. Drinking unfiltered tap water would be the way most would be subject to bacterial and chemical polutants and a good amount because we would not be rinsing but drinking it.

4 hours ago, howard ashoul said:

It's true regular exposure to pathogenic bacteria boosts the immune system.If you can survive in Afghanistan until you are three years old, you've been exposed to every pathogenic known to man.

However, be aware that other mechanisms may also be protecting you. If you eat a lot of spicy food, that affords protection against parasites such as giardia and cryptosporidia.

Bear in mind there may come a time when your immune system is weakened or compromised. Something like a scooter accident is enough.

If you want to play Russian Roulette with your body, fine. Me, I'll be a sissy and drink boiled water.

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

You are partly correct. You don't get rid of heavy metals such as lead by boiling. However, volatile mercury compounds and aromatic organics are removed by boiling. It's called steam distillation. I haven't heard of any parasite that can survive boiling.

Your liver usually disintegrates from alcohol abuse, or alcohol combined with paracetamol. That's the big sleeper in liver disease.

I've made it to 74 yo, still relatively healthy, so I think I must be doing some things right.