Chaturon lashes out at junta’s ‘poor’ performance

rooster59

Chaturon lashes out at junta’s ‘poor’ performance

By The Nation

d69259cee637f864bb29ac2ae8549481.jpeg

file photo : Chaturon Chaisang

Ahead of the third anniversary of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) seizing power following a coup, key Pheu Thai figure Chaturon Chaisang has launched a stinging criticism of its performance, saying it had failed to resolve the country’s problems and had instead compounded issues by its poor handling.

Chaturon said the economy has seen a slowdown, partly due to lack of confidence in the country’s stability, as there is no certainty when democracy would be restored.

Chaturon said the NCPO lacked a thorough vision to tackle the country’s problems. The reforms and reconciliation process, he added, lacked concrete outcomes that touched upon real issues.

He said the NCPO had only been contributing to the complexity of the problems by acting against the people’s wishes.

On the corruption front, several issues of concern have been concealed from the public whereas those who are calling for accountability are facing threats. This, Chaturon said, has virtually eroded the anti-corruption efforts and the system.

“It is of concern that in the future the country would rather step back than step forward. People are facing more problems, which have been accumulating. The conflicts will only worsen and instability would return as a result,’ Chaturon warned.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30315075

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-13

This, Chaturon said, has virtually eroded the anti-corruption efforts and the system.   “It is of concern that in the future the country would rather step back than step forward. People are facing more problems, which have been accumulating. The conflicts will only worsen and instability would return as a result,’ Chaturon warned.

"Chaturon, oh Chaturon, you've not taken your lithium."

To more correctly describe itself the National Council for Peace and Order should be re-named National Council for Disunity and Civil Regulation. 

I know little of the man (Chaturon) who is making these comments about the governance of the military junta but regardless of who or what he is he seems to be reasonably accurate in what he says.

Most military people, particularly officers, have one character trait in which they excel and that is discipline. The fact that they like to practice their discipline skills on the plebeians is therefore not surprising. 

I suspect the Officer's Mess is a factory for their poorly thought through policies; particularly in the later hours prior to closing.

1 hour ago, debate101 said:

Chaturon is always right. He's the only honest, intelligent politician Thailand has that doesn't have a huge blind spot for establishment corruption and abuse , so I doubt he will ever again achieve a position of power.

Not a blind spot, just a very selective memory regarding those who pay him.

With due respect Chaturon, how come it has taken you all this time to work out that the Junta and the coup are a waste of time , nearly every member on this forum could have told you that right from the beginning, besides that , as I am on an informal information session, you will also  notice that Prayut and Co are now feathering their own nest and the question that needs to be asked , why is the junta getting friendly with China and giving the west the big finger, now that isn't hard to work out either...........................:coffee1:   

6 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

It's a Junta, what do you expect? Was there ever a military dictatorship in the history of the world who did a great job in governing a country?

Tito, Attaturk, lee Kuan Yew (bit of a stretch, the last, but still a dictator by any measure). And that's only the 20th century.

Edited by halloween

"He was a government member for several terms, serving as Minister of Justice, Deputy Prime Minister, and Minister of Education in the cabinets of Thaksin and Yingluck Shinawatra".

...Minister of Education..well for a starter..what did he acomplish there..just me woundering... 

49 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

You'd better change your name and dissappear for a while. The current rulers do no like adverse comments about themselves.

Don't think he is afraid. Resisted the military when he was student activist in mid-70s Thammasart massacre. Fled to USA. Came back and represented his province and banned for 5 years after the 06 coup. Outspoken many times of the current junta and been in and out of attitude adjustments. Still fearless & may be the next PM. 

8 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

He ripped the country apart with his simple-minded re-location (displacement) policy. I was there and watched it happen.  Where were you?

Really. Feel free to elaborate then, as I can find nothing in regard to this.

Don't think he is afraid. Resisted the military when he was student activist in mid-70s Thammasart massacre. Fled to USA. Came back and represented his province and banned for 5 years after the 06 coup. Outspoken many times of the current junta and been in and out of attitude adjustments. Still fearless & may be the next PM. 

Karl Marx once stated that “Men make their own history, but they do not make it just as they please in circumstances they choose for themselves; rather they make it in present circumstances, given and inherited”.
Chaturon Chaisaeng once stated...

1 hour ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

55555 you are funny Tito 555555

I think we should all give halloween a brake. It can't be easy on a daily basis desperately clutching at straws trying to defend the indefensible.

Well, this is certainly a first!!!

I can't recall any other time in my history of being familiar with Thai politics where I actually found myself in intellectual harmony with ( I'm specifically avoiding using the words "agreeing" or "liking" :ph34r: ) anything uttered by a senior PT official.

I'm literally shocked to my toes!

To more correctly describe itself the National Council for Peace and Order 

Back in 1991, the Coup/Junta-du-Jour was called the National Peace Keeping Council (NPKC), with a similar "purge" of the previously elected government (Chatichai) led by Army Gen. Suchinda, who was "elected" in elections for PM, if ever so briefly. It didn't end well.

The more things change...

2 hours ago, Becker said:

I think we should all give halloween a brake. It can't be easy on a daily basis desperately clutching at straws trying to defend the indefensible.

We always like to hear from Halloween no matter how pathetic he sound. 

7 hours ago, chainarong said:

With due respect Chaturon, how come it has taken you all this time to work out that the Junta and the coup are a waste of time , nearly every member on this forum could have told you that right from the beginning, besides that , as I am on an informal information session, you will also  notice that Prayut and Co are now feathering their own nest and the question that needs to be asked , why is the junta getting friendly with China and giving the west the big finger, now that isn't hard to work out either...........................:coffee1:   

This is, with all due respect, a mischaracterization of this Forum. When it happened, I'd say the majority of posters here were all in favour of it, being the necessary medicine to rid the country of the horrible scourge of Thaksin. This was not surprising, in my opinion, given that the majority of posters live in major cities hence have little contact with the Red faction, understanding of the grievances of the rural poor, the domination of the economy by Chinese Thai or the building of a nation through a series of convenient myths purporting to represent history.