Pattaya police deploy drone to monitor Walking Street

rooster59

By The Nation

Pattaya Police Station is deploying a drone to ensure security for tourists on its famed Walking Street.

Pattaya police chief Pol Colonel Apichai Krobphet launched the drone unit on Friday evening on South Pattaya beach.

Undercover police and interpreters were also deployed on Walking Street to be able to offer timely help to foreign tourists.

He said power and communications cables as well as advertising signs on Walking Street were a major obstacle for the drone operation hence police would seek help from Pattaya City to rearrange the cables and signs.

He said the operation is part of its efforts to modernise Pattaya Police Station in accordance with the government’s Thailand 4.0 policy.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30315106

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-13

tnews_1494593386_7177.jpg

From the pic they are DJI phantoms, probably a 4/4pro

flight time is around 20 mins....

so lets say 3 batteries an hour, an 8 hour shift, 24 batteries required.....

Why do they think this sounds feasible?!?

By The Nation

Pattaya Police Station is deploying a drone to ensure security for tourists on its famed Walking Street.

Pattaya police chief Pol Colonel Apichai Krobphet launched the drone unit on Friday evening on South Pattaya beach.

Undercover police and interpreters were also deployed on Walking Street to be able to offer timely help to foreign tourists.

He said power and communications cables as well as advertising signs on Walking Street were a major obstacle for the drone operation hence police would seek help from Pattaya City to rearrange the cables and signs.
  He said the operation is part of its efforts to modernise Pattaya Police Station in accordance with the government’s Thailand 4.0 policy.  
Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30315106

thenation_logo.jpg -- [emoji767] Copyright The Nation 2017-05-13  
tnews_1494593386_7177.jpg.7962b61b031a7d806e17ebe98552a6dc.jpg

I'm a bit stupid, I thought that walking was the best patrol technique - along with some cameras at regular intervals actually hooked up to the police station.

Sent from my nose.

This is eerily reminiscent of Dave Eggers novel 'The Circle' ... and it's just the beginning ...

Seeing where most countries on this planet are headed, rich or not, 'civilized' or not, I feel fortunate to be 60 already, because I honestly don't want to see how it'll be like 30 years from now. Or even 20  (and then unfortunately I might still be around). Or is it 10 ? :saai:

2 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

From the pic they are DJI phantoms, probably a 4/4pro

flight time is around 20 mins....

so lets say 3 batteries an hour, an 8 hour shift, 24 batteries required.....

Why do they think this sounds feasible?!?

And the batteries cost around $130-$140 each on ebay, goodness knows how much in Thailand .... 50% more ?

I have a Phantom 4 - They are really difficult to fly at night, you lose perspective in the dark, even with street lighting around .... and good luck with the power lines that you can't see in the dark ....

Can't wait till they're nicked.

Can't believe the laziness here. Get out in pairs and walk the street. Preferably a male and a female. It will keep criminals thinking twice and help the general public feel at ease.

I remember my mate's missus had her phone stolen (she's Thai). They both went to the police booth to report it. Told the police that there's cctv footage but they can't view it till they file a police report. Police guy was watching football and drinking whiskey. Police guy looked at my friend and just said "You farang. You can buy her a new phone" My friend just walked off and left his missus to deal with it. Said if he had stayed there he would have ended up in the slammer for assaulting this copper. 

Can't wait to see these drones splitting up fights. 

Edited by rkidlad

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

How long until it loses control, and ends up injuring an innocent passer-by ? Days ?

Or flies into a Windmill or any other A-Go-Go bar for close-up action...