The Tale of two ty250 Mono's - pic heavy

10 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Indeed. No way would I want to ride a proper trials bike sitting down for more than a couple of kms. Guy was certainly not 6' tall. Completely wrong ergonomics - low seat height with pegs set well back - completely opposite to a dual sport or enduro bike - ie - tall comfy(ish) seat and mid peg position.

TLR200 is not a proper trials bike.

Can licensed for street certain places,

i.e., Colorado.

Here, dunno.

Guess so.

Cool bike tho.

TLR 200.png

Edited by papa al
  • Like 1

On 01/11/2017 at 3:15 PM, thaiguzzi said:

A happy, smiley TG junior.... a couple of weeks before his 12th birthday....010.thumb.jpg.b8b8bb2cba7e24d5e45c59ee4986c5c1.jpg016.jpg.162d1500795830a8e4b6eff3b165587b.jpg

This is an ideal way for a kid to learn, low speed, quite technical and great for balance and control. Much better than blasting through towns.

• Like 1

Allan  

I must agree with you... when I was a lad we didnt have big horsepower screaming Jap bikes.  Hell, on the tobacco farm we had to run everywhere or jump on the back of the tractor or truck as it went by. After many years the old man (Dad) finally decidee to bend to what other farmers were doing ie buying a farm bike.

This was before quad bikes and even 3 wheel bikes.  Unfortunately he decided on a new Yamaha AG100.  This beast was not only under powered and heavy but an ugly POS.  I have 4 brothers and 1 sister and must admit that that bike took all the punishment we could give it.  

It was raced around paddocks in all types of weather.  It was jumped over ditches (Very rarely made it to the other side) and generally abused the snot out of.  But we all learnt its limited capabilities.  I recall following much larger cc bikes up and down various firebreaks in the hills around area.  You learnt about centre of gravity and feathering the clutch.  

Nowadays I haver a lot more respect for bikes...road racers still scare the crap outta me cause they just to too damn fast.  But I enjoy riding here, at my own pace. Sometimes fast but generally not so much. As they say getting there is half the fun.  I think my next bike will probably be the CB500F...not quick but enough for me.  

These 2 bikes look damn good and it from an era gone by...my hat is of to such a great restoration.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Agree.

But what no one has mentioned ... wear a helmet.

That's just what my mother and father nagged me about, but you are correct.

Had an "off" yesterday myself, I can now "splat" - face splat... Luckily I was wearing my flat cap...

017.jpg.c299c5aa1a12533ce4ca5fbe7fde2452.jpg016.thumb.jpg.1e28df7989830f6b73e5377fdae2f2ce.jpg021.jpg.be12a6c032a55fa33c034cc16bef1ee0.jpg

• Like 1

Saw these on Ebay UK a few weeks ago. Had to buy 3 as "sparesies". Get most parts for ty mono's, a lot of stuff being remade as all the ty's especially twinshocks are becoming sought after cult bikes in Europe and the US. Except piston kits for mono's. So someone has ordered a batch to be made and I had to grab some. Not cheap, not super expensive @ 100 GBP a pop. But saved 60 quid on the VAT, which got put back on and then some this end when the Thai PO gave me a 4,700 Baht import/customs bill - win some, lose some...

Wossner.

Made in Germany.

Forged.

100% CNC machined.

Teflon coated skirts.

Nice...

032.thumb.jpg.bc5a959d231f4417925ae08386651094.jpg033.thumb.jpg.433a0208fdfb9c04e09e04c2b0bc32bb.jpg

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

^^^^^^  What coating are they using on the skirt ? 

Good question.

The seller said Teflon, but I've just spent 20 minutes reading up on coatings of engine internals especially pistons, domes, and skirts. Blimey - ton of stuff out there, none mentioning Teflon. I'm not genned up on internal coatings, just remember ceramic, but jeez there is a bunch of different methods, much with there own TM brand name. Swaintech, JE and Wiseco and a bunch of other interesting sites.

Anyhow, after checking the Wossner website, they are not coated with non stick frying pan material. Quote - "Made of 4032 Alloy (T6) with a special Moly coated skirt"....

So, no good for frying eggs on then....

7 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Anyhow, after checking the Wossner website, they are not coated with non stick frying pan material. Quote - "Made of 4032 Alloy (T6) with a special Moly coated skirt"....

So, no good for frying eggs on then....

555 - Good one !! Most companies very cagey with product details. I had guessed some sort of Moly coating but have no experience with the brand.

Good luck with them.

And thanks for all they knowledge and suggestions you have shared on this site. Been doing it 50 years myself and still learning.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Humming and harring...

Been offered these 2 alloy tank skins from England. 100GBP a pop, still need finishing with tunnels, floors, caps and tap bosses. One - offs based on a cross between MaJesty and Fantic tanks.

Stunning looking, very long, possibly the prettiest trials tanks I've seen. Would need custom alloy seat bases making to match.

Hum, har, hum....

5a112818194e3_alloytytank-Copy-Copy.thumb.JPG.57bd17c8c4f64590e80ebe2144c24051.JPGtytank.thumb.JPG.c85d246cd1a2de3ee31fce338d9ba44c.JPG

19 hours ago, papa al said:

Wow

Maybe need to change your handle to

'Thai-TY'

or sumfin.

LOL.

Yeah, i could'nt join a trials specific forum as Thaiguzzi could i?

I thought Thai-ty has got a certain ring to it.

Indeed. Those tank shapes are certainly "Wow". About 4" longer than stock, 2" narrower.

On 11/5/2017 at 10:01 AM, CMKiwi said:

... when I was a lad we didnt have big horsepower screaming Jap bikes...

When I was a lad, I had a screaming Honda SL125 dual-purpose bike.  Talk about horsepower screaming - it had about 1 horsepower per 1,000 rpm.  Hit the base of a short, steep hill at 9,000 rpm and you might or might not have to turn back midway.  I did perfect ways of turning around (sliding sideways) that looked half way graceful.

But that bike was reliable.  I once towed a guy on a $$ Penton (Sachs/KTM) 125cc enduro bike out of the mud in the woods and back to the trailer with my bike. 

My brother bought one of the first Honda 125 "trials" bikes a bit later.  Somewhat of a joke as a serious trials bike but fun.

Thaiguzzi, you need to find a nice cool place to ride trials...  away from the heat and dust:

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

3.5 litre Plastic fuel tanks...

Like waiting for a bus in London....

Been waiting, looking, even joining Ebay, looking more, waiting... And missing the last two, just too overpriced.

Anyhow, last week bid on two, the same seller, reasonable (in fact one was cheap!) prices, and won them both!!

Yessssssssss!

I can now start saving for the Paul Cowley Shedworks one-piece tank seat shelters, which, along with new modern shaped front mudguards should transform the looks of the bikes.

Anybody want "Ol Yeller or 'Ol Blu's tank and seat unit?

Below is the difference between a 3.5 litre plastic tank and a 5 litre steel tank. Plastic tank is over a kilo lighter.

034.thumb.jpg.93353cd2a43ae4ae0d08ab61ded61cb5.jpg

Edited by thaiguzzi
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bump.

Zombie thread.

Just keeping this alive in case the mods lock it as an archived thread.

Back in the UK in under 3 weeks, staying for a month(ish), avec Mrs TG and TG Junior, so plenty of suitcase space coming back.

Point is, i'm bringing back my two plastic 3.5 litre tanks, new front mudguards, and...

two Paul Cowley Shedworks tank shelter combined seat units being made as i type this.

Will drastically change the looks of the bikes. Slimmer, flowing lines etc etc.

Watch this space in a coupla months.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 11:56 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Bump.

Zombie thread.

Just keeping this alive in case the mods lock it as an archived thread.

Back in the UK in under 3 weeks, staying for a month(ish), avec Mrs TG and TG Junior, so plenty of suitcase space coming back.

Point is, i'm bringing back my two plastic 3.5 litre tanks, new front mudguards, and...

two Paul Cowley Shedworks tank shelter combined seat units being made as i type this.

Will drastically change the looks of the bikes. Slimmer, flowing lines etc etc.

Watch this space in a coupla months.

Just had an email from Paul............

getting excited...........

5ac0e69f6b406_tankshelters....thumb.JPG.64305b83951440891ed1434d97a0a60e.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Back in LOS.

Along with a bunch of other stuff, these two beauties came back in one of our suitcases. More to follow once fitted, along with new front mudguards once modified and drilled.

032.thumb.jpg.71b214d0ce40950db33d61c5341e990d.jpg

• Like 1

How many seat-tanks of this type exist.?

Glass or aluminium?

Capacity?

Anxiously awaiting photos of the re-assembed pair.

papa returning to his TYs very soon.

Too hot on Thailand now.

Snow should be mostly melted in Colorado mountains.

On 1/25/2018 at 1:57 PM, thaiguzzi said:

3.5 litre Plastic fuel tanks...

Like waiting for a bus in London....

Been waiting, looking, even joining Ebay, looking more, waiting... And missing the last two, just too overpriced.

Anyhow, last week bid on two, the same seller, reasonable (in fact one was cheap!) prices, and won them both!!

Yessssssssss!

I can now start saving for the Paul Cowley Shedworks one-piece tank seat shelters, which, along with new modern shaped front mudguards should transform the looks of the bikes.

Anybody want "Ol Yeller or 'Ol Blu's tank and seat unit?

Below is the difference between a 3.5 litre plastic tank and a 5 litre steel tank. Plastic tank is over a kilo lighter.

034.thumb.jpg.93353cd2a43ae4ae0d08ab61ded61cb5.jpg

Cassettes.  Just noticed.  Perfect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, papa al said:

Cassettes.  Just noticed.  Perfect.

:cool:

4 hours ago, papa al said:

How many seat-tanks of this type exist.?

Glass or aluminium?

Capacity?

Anxiously awaiting photos of the re-assembed pair.

papa returning to his TYs very soon.

Too hot on Thailand now.

Snow should be mostly melted in Colorado mountains.

They are still being made by Paul Cowley at his company Shedworks, in the UK. Check him out.

They are a one-piece shelter which replaces the stock seat unit and covers the stock plastic tank, which as you know are pretty useless at being able to re-paint and look nice.

Made in fibreglass, stock gel coat colours (no paint) are white and yellow, although he will do other colours to order, see 'Ol Blu.

Capacity, still using the stock plastic tank underneath is 3.5 litres.

See post #202 above for a better look at how they work and what they are. I'll try and get an "upside down" photo of them.

Note, they come with a larger diameter billet alloy fuel cap to replace the smaller plastic cap, as this hides the gap around the shelter filler hole. Neat, c/w decals, nice bit of kit.

Will post photos soon once re-assembled c/w new quick-release front brake cables and new super-duper front m/guards with a more modern shorter shape.

Confirmed, stinking hot over here at the moment. The longer i live here, the less i like April-May...

Enjoy - Colorado...

• 4 weeks later...