Citi debit card (US) not working in any ATM

While a hold by the bank or hitting the wrong ATM buttons could be at fault, the alternative is that the card itself is faulty. Had that happen with one of my Australian ATM cards, bank said it wasn't locked, got a replacement card sent and it worked fine...also I had another card from the same bank that worked fine so it had to be the card. 

The OP is incommunicado.

I'm going with the clues here.

He did call the USA bank and they said it wasn't locked.

He expressed confusion about his experience at a Thai ATM machine and his report was very vague. 

I think it's probably not locked and the odds of it being a damaged card aren't that great ... so ... hope the OP is finding a solution. 

First are you using a credit card or a debit card.

As noted, M/C is pulling out all these new cards with banks with new chips so you might want to check with our bank if the card is block, my M/C debit wasn't but my M/C credit card due to I being told Thailand is on their block list.  Then you also should check what is the maximum withdraw amount, most in general is 500 USD.  When we are talking about maximum and the exchange rate is involved if you are asking for 20,000 baht and the rate is 33, you won't get the transaction. Then there is their ATM, machines like decades behind times, if the machine is low on cash it will not process you transaction, some just respond Off Line, or something making you think there is a problem with the card?  Move to another and if the transaction proceeds that is the problem not enough cash in the machine.

If you were refused at Aeon, recently as I found out  when they replaced and reprogram their new machine. I've been using them for a decade, Aeon is not a Bank but a Financial institution, therefore when they program their new machines,  a Debit card!  you will not be able to get more than 8,000 baht out,  I use to request 15-20, baht at a time, with the new machine in place, after my request, nothing happens, they keep my card for minutes, making me think it got sucked, they after a long time, it is kicked out and ATM says off line. The change was made do to foreign card withdrawing a high amount leaving the machines empty.

Here it is best to have a alternative!

Edited by thailand49

23 hours ago, Vexzy said:

Hmm, I don't want to have to send a new card here as I'm only a tourist. I just read online how simple and easy ATM machines were here so I just wanted to know what I'm doing wrong. Is it possible I'm trying to withdraw too much? I tried to withdraw 20,000 baht. Should I go to a bank for that much?

Call Citibank; it may simply be security check; especially if you have not withdrawn money in Thailand before

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Aren't there massive extra fees doing a cash advance?

I still find the OP very vague about what happened at the machine or machines. 

Card terms vary, and you want to familiarize yourself with all the charges BEFORE you travel.  You might be able to view them online.  There can be cash advance fees OR simply exorbitant interest charged on the outstanding balance as often as daily.  You might be able to minimize such fees by logging onto your account immediately after the cash advance and transferring funds to pay off the balance (assuming you have some way to do that securely).

The earlier advice to always have a backup plan for pulling cash while traveling is KEY.  

Scr-w  Citi - only  a few branches - now they have taken over the BTS and cannot use any Thai cc or debit card to buy rides or top up your card - only CITI - someone got paid well for that!

15 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

I would hardly call three many 

Citibank.png.da11ac0e96b56a92ed3468c5a6f03f2b.png

1. Citibank, Sriracha

2. Citibank, Mega Bangna

3. Citibank, 21 Sukhumvit Rd

4. Citibank, United Center, Silom

5. Citibank, Maha Nakhon

6. Citibank, Central World

7. Citibank, Rama 1.

Hi, thanks for all the responses guys.

First off, I'm not in Bangkok, I'm in Chiang Mai.

Second, it's not urgent. I just wanted to see how to withdraw money from ATM's here and thankfully I tried it before I really needed to.

Third, Citi is sending me a new pin because I locked myself out trying to figure out all of this stuff out, so I will have to update in a few days.

Also, I went to 4 different ATMs and got the same message "Communication Error" for all of them. Once I get my new PIN I will go to a bank and try there.

Edited by Vexzy

2 things. First, from time to time the international links are down, and your card will not work in any ATM. usually ok the next day.

Second, some ATM's are incompatible with some cards. I have this problem. My card will not work in the ATM's of my preferred bank (AEON, because ATM fee cheaper) at my usual location, but if i go to an alternative AEON ATM location the card works. The style of ATM is different between the locations.

As said by many, ALWAYS have 2 means of getting money where ever you go. 

On 5/14/2017 at 7:25 PM, Vexzy said:

Hmm, I don't want to have to send a new card here as I'm only a tourist. I just read online how simple and easy ATM machines were here so I just wanted to know what I'm doing wrong. Is it possible I'm trying to withdraw too much? I tried to withdraw 20,000 baht. Should I go to a bank for that much?

Did you notify citibank that you were traveling to Thailand? My branch told me it was necessary, I listed all asian nations and no problems. But must update the notification efery 90 days or so. Note to avoida 200 baht service fee use a Citi ATM a branch is located at ASOK

On 5/15/2017 at 5:20 AM, steven100 said:

Call your bank or go into a Citibank in Bangkok ( Asoke branch or Bangkapi mall ) and explain the problem and see if you can use their phone.

But before you do that,  you may like to go into any bank and try for a cash advance with the card, if it's a visa logo you can get a cash advance ... make sure you have your passport.

If the OP cannot get his Citi US card to work in general ATMs about town, then I'd second the suggestion to first try the Citi Thailand ATMs at Asoke/Sukhumvit or elsewhere. And failing that, explain the situation to the Citi TH staff in that branch, and try to do a counter withdrawal using your U.S. Citi card at a Thai Citi branch.

2 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Note to avoida 200 baht service fee use a Citi ATM a branch is located at ASOK

That won't work for Citi U.S. cardholders using Citi TH ATMs in Thailand, although it apparently can be fee-free for Citi cards issued in some other countries.

For U.S. cardholders, they'll be charged the Thai ATM fee by Citi TH, and also a 3% or so foreign currency conversion fee by Citi U.S.

Unfortunately for the OP, I don't think Citi TH has any branches in Chiang Mai.

Just Asoke, Silom and CentralWorld in BKK.

http://www.citibank.co.th/en/static/Location.htm?lid=THENCBLCRLNTLLocationCA

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That won't work for Citi U.S. cardholders using Citi TH ATMs in Thailand, although it apparently can be fee-free for Citi cards issued in some other countries.

For U.S. cardholders, they'll be charged the Thai ATM fee by Citi TH, and also a 3% or so foreign currency conversion fee by Citi U.S.

Unfortunately for the OP, I don't think Citi TH has any branches in Chiang Mai.

Just Asoke, Silom and CentralWorld in BKK.

http://www.citibank.co.th/en/static/Location.htm?lid=THENCBLCRLNTLLocationCA

Strange my fellow, I have had a Citibank US card. For the 2+ years I have been here I have never been charged a user fee for using a Citi Thai ATM. Which is why I go from ChocChai to ASOK to make my weekly withdrawals. Until I upgraded to Citi Gold I was charged a currency exchange fee by Citibank US each time I used the card. This tallied up to around $50. Month with Citigold I am supposed to be charged a $30. month account fee, in lieu of a $200,000 avg balance but for some reason unknown to me,  they seldom charge the fee. I am required to have my Social Security and Union Pension direct deposited to a bank, And I do gain some benefits for the direct deposit, plus using the bill pay service. 

Recently, my account has been downgraded to the 3d level Gold status which is supposed to be charged the $30. Fee each month. But I have not been charged the fee as of this month. I don't tend to make statements as facts without knowing from personal experience. I didn't see the OP state he was in Chang Mai. But yes there are only the three branches you mentioned with ATM's. The only other US Bank I know of here is Bank of America with one branch near the Embassy. 

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Added info that I forgot.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Strange my fellow, I have had a Citibank US card. For the 2+ years I have been here I have never been charged a user fee for using a Citi Thai ATM. Which is why I go from ChocChai to ASOK to make my weekly withdrawals. Until I upgraded to Citi Gold I was charged a currency exchange fee by Citibank US each time I used the card. This tallied up to around $50. Month with Citigold I am supposed to be charged a $30. month account fee, in lieu of a $200,000 avg balance but for some reason unknown to me,  they seldom charge the fee. I am required to have my Social Security and Union Pension direct deposited to a bank, And I do gain some benefits for the direct deposit, plus using the bill pay service. 

Recently, my account has been downgraded to the 3d level Gold status which is supposed to be charged the $30. Fee each month. But I have not been charged the fee as of this month. I don't tend to make statements as facts without knowing from personal experience. I didn't see the OP state he was in Chang Mai. But yes there are only the three branches you mentioned with ATM's. The only other US Bank I know of here is Bank of America with one branch near the Embassy. 

In my prior post above re Citi U.S. debit cards, I was talking about the regular Citi U.S. debit cards, not their GOLD status cards. The Gold cards have always been exempted from Citi U.S. foreign currency fees. But to have GOLD status with Citi, as you mention, you're required to have quite a substantial account balance or relationship with them.  If you're able to often avoid their monthly account fee in lieu of having the required account balance, that's great for you. But it's not necessarily applicable to everyone else here. And for folks with regular Citi debit cards from the U.S., they ARE going to get charged the ATM transaction fees.

But, thank you for correctly pointing out that Citi Gold U.S. cards are treated differently, and don't get charged the same foreign currency fees as Citi's regular debit cards get.

As for BofA, their BKK location doesn't provide any regular consumer account services or have any public ATMs.

Re the OP's' location:

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In my prior post above re Citi U.S. debit cards, I was talking about the regular Citi U.S. debit cards, not their GOLD status cards. The Gold cards have always been exempted from Citi U.S. foreign currency fees. But to have GOLD status with Citi, as you mention, you're required to have quite a substantial account balance or relationship with them.  If you're able to often avoid their monthly account fee in lieu of having the required account balance, that's great for you. But it's not necessarily applicable to everyone else here. And for folks with regular Citi debit cards from the U.S., they ARE going to get charged the ATM transaction fees.

But, thank you for correctly pointing out that Citi Gold U.S. cards are treated differently, and don't get charged the same foreign currency fees as Citi's regular debit cards get.

As for BofA, their BKK location doesn't provide any regular consumer account services or have any public ATMs.

Re the OP's' location:

I had a regular US Citibank card and although I was charged a FTF =foreing transaction fee of 3% when malking withdrawels at Asok Citibank I was not charged the 200 baht fee to axcess and use of their ATM, Grumpy Duck also mentioned that he was not charged an atm fee there with reg Citbank card but was charged FTF of 3% untill he upgraded to Gold Card. I was also told that if I opened and account there at Asok with 100,000 baht they would give me Gold account and that I could link it to my accounts in US so would not have to pay for FTF.

17 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

I was also told that if I opened and account there at Asok with 100,000 baht they would give me Gold account and that I could link it to my accounts in US so would not have to pay for FTF.

That's an interesting notion.... Basically, Citi TH and Citi US are different corporate entities, even though they're part of the broader Citi international entity.

One thing that would be interesting to know is that if Citi TH granted one of their account holders a Gold account, would that automatically make the person's U.S. Citi account a GOLD status account as well, or not?

Citi Gold U.S. requires a $200,000 or more average monthly balance for all of a person's Citi accounts in order for Citi to reimburse foreign bank ATM fees. And $200,000 U.S. is a whole lot more than 100,000 Thai baht. At the moment, I can't find any mention of Citi TH's minimum balance requirement for their Citi Gold program.

https://online.citi.com/US/JRS/pands/detail.do?ID=CitigoldOverview&section=benefits

Other banks and ATM service providers may charge you a fee when you conduct a Citibank deposit account transaction using their ATMs. In any eligible statement period, when you use another bank's ATM to conduct an ATM withdrawal from your Citibank deposit accounts you will receive reimbursement from Citibank for ATM fees charged by other banks if your Citigold Account Package had a combined average monthly balance of $200,000 or more in eligible linked deposit, retirement and investment accounts for the calendar month prior to the ATM transaction. If the combined average monthly balance in your Citigold Account Package was not equal to or greater than $200,000 for the calendar month prior to your ATM transaction, then Citibank will not reimburse you for ATM fees charged by other banks or other ATM service providers when you conduct a Citibank deposit account transaction using their ATMs. This ATM reimbursement is only available in the Citigold Account Package and is limited to consumer accounts. Reimbursement of other bank ATM fees is not available in the first month in which your account is opened in The Citigold Account Package.  

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

. I was also told that if I opened and account there at Asok with 100,000 baht they would give me Gold account and that I could link it to my accounts in US so would not have to pay for FTF.

FWIW, I just got off the phone with a Citi Gold rep here in Thailand, and we had an extended discussion about their requirements.

On the subject of minimum balance required, she said that they would want at least $200,000 USD or 5 million baht to open a Citi Gold account here, which matches the current requirement for CitiGold in the U.S.

At that point, I mentioned to her that a "friend" of mine had gone to the Asoke office and been told that they would open a Gold account for a lot lower amount than the 5M baht amount she mentioned. And the reps' only response was, that they did have a lower standard amount prior to this past April, which was 3 million baht. But that the current minimum is now 5 million baht.

Perhaps you're getting confused or misunderstood what they were talking about with 100,000, and they meant U.S $, and you thought they were talking about Thai baht.  100,000 THB is only $3000+ U.S., which would seem an extraordinarily low amount for Citi Gold status.

On 2017-5-16 at 7:23 AM, Vexzy said:

Second, it's not urgent. I just wanted to see how to withdraw money from ATM's here and thankfully I tried it before I really needed to.

Third, Citi is sending me a new pin because I locked myself out trying to figure out all of this stuff out, so I will have to update in a few days.

Also, I went to 4 different ATMs and got the same message "Communication Error" for all of them. Once I get my new PIN I will go to a bank and try there.

If your Citi card is a Mastercard, use the Bank of China ATM in Chiang Mai if convenient for you. If VISA, no good.