See doctor if loose stool lasting over 2 weeks?

rodmunch

I've been in Thailand for a little over 2 weeks. I've had loose stool nearly every day so far. But I only need to take a dump 1-2 times a day. I haven't had stomach pain, vomiting, fever, or other issues though. I have mostly ate at food courts and drink from bottled water. I've also recently been eating more white rice and banana shakes but it seems to have a minimal improvement

I know it's typical to have diarrhea when first arriving in Thailand. Howeever, I heard it should only last a week at most. Is my problem serious enough to see a doctor?

5 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

I don't think it's 'typical to have diarrhea'. In this heat you can soon get de-hydrated. I'd suggest seeing a doctor to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually loose stools are typical with people new to Thailand eating local foods. Sometimes for many months. Other than that, there are no distressing symptoms. Twice a day is hardly a severe situation. I'd say drink lots of fluids, relax, and wait it out. I wouldn't normally take OTC meds for that either except if you're going to be in a situation where you want things under control, like a plane flight. They aren't a cure, only a symptom reliever and if you become dependent on them it makes things worse. 

That said, I'm not a doctor, so this is just my opinion and what I'd do with such non-distressing symptoms.

Hopefully, the OP will get a more expert call later. 

Some might say it never hurts to go to a doctor, but actually, that is not true. 

Edited by Jingthing

See a doctor, for sure. Everyone's body is different, and you shouldn't listen to the "Google' answers here. Could be anything. My personal experience was no problem moving to Thailand. Occasional loose stool, but after a few years, by body adjusted. I now get stomach sick during regular visits back home more than I do here. There is different bacteria here, and it takes time for our bodies to adjust.

Stay away from uncooked food, such as raw vegetables, salads, mayonnaise, etc. Eat food hot off the grill. No worries.

Been coming here for 8 years and still get the runs every few days! I have slow metabolism and when in a cleaner country mostly US, UK, hk, Japan... I pooh every two days on average. In thailand is about twice a day didn't matter what I eat. You eat in food courts there will still be flies in the kitchen and hygiene will never be like western standards. So what you have is quite normal for thailand. Get use to it!

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

You know bananas are a kind of laxative right ?

Not unripe bananas.  A farang once had a problem and my wife recommended green bananas.  When that worked too well, she recommended unripe (or maybe just sour) tamarind.  It did just the opposite.  I may have the order of symptoms reversed, but they did what she said.  Maybe he ate too much of one, then the other.  And this guy had been in country for a few years.  It was hilarious.

If that is your only symptom I think you should probably be alright. I would get the shits for weeks each time i came for a holiday, wasn't until i moved here and took a good 3 months of the runs that my stomach hardened up. Every body is different. Can easily do a stool sample at the hospital though if you're stressed. 

I have known people to have this for months, even a year, upon first arrriving here.

If you go only once or twice a day, I would just wait and see, unless the movements are accompanied by loss of a lot of water. (A little hard to know what you mean by "loose").

On 15/05/2017 at 4:31 AM, Sheryl said:

I have known people to have this for months, even a year, upon first arrriving here.

If you go only once or twice a day, I would just wait and see, unless the movements are accompanied by loss of a lot of water. (A little hard to know what you mean by "loose").

I have had it permanently for 26 years for 5/6 months of each year I'm in Thailand

24 hours back in uk and back to normal

Edited by Chivas