Passenger van new regulation violators to face initial rate of fine

webfact

Passenger van new regulation violators to face initial rate of fine

BANGKOK, 15 May 2017 (NNT) – From 15 May onwards, the Department of Land Transport (DLT) will be strictly penalizing operators of vans with excess seats installed and vans that operate without an emergency back exit. 

DLT Director General Sanit Phromwongse disclosed that from 15 May, the DLT will begin enforcing legal measures against operators and owners of all passenger vans with excess seats and vans that operate without an emergency back exit. Intially, offenders will be fined for fixed rate. 

All service passenger vans must remove all excess seats to meet the 13 seat limit, due to safety reasons. 

Passenger vans must also have an emergency exit in case of an accident or an emergency, according to the DLT's new regulations.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-15

By "emergency exit", I take that to mean that the space between the seats and in-front of the rear door, must be kept clear; I can't imagine a roof exit being installed.

The new regulations are a step in the right direction, but Road-Runner Somchai will still be behind the wheel.

I, for one, won't ride in any of these death traps again; I've had my quota of close visits to the after-life.

40 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

I, for one, won't ride in any of these death traps again; I've had my quota of close visits to the after-life.

I rode in one from Kanchanburi to BKK and it was so white knuckle bad that I thought it had to be a fluke.

I rode in a second one on a different route and found out it wasn't a fluke.  

Never again.

On the OP,  just 'cause they only have 13 seats doesn't mean they'll limit it to 13 passengers.  We had more passengers than seats for several stretches of the routes I enjoyed.

I was not riding in one, but in Surin once I saw a minibus stop, and when the door opened there was a motorbike in front of the first row of seats and the passengers were sitting cross legged !!!!:shock1:

I had white knuckle rides but last week I had nice ride with speed not over 90 kmh. They have GPS in all the vans I seen at depot. I don't know if it controls the speed but heard they will beep if you go over the limit.

1 hour ago, Beats56 said:

I had white knuckle rides but last week I had nice ride with speed not over 90 kmh. They have GPS in all the vans I seen at depot. I don't know if it controls the speed but heard they will beep if you go over the limit.

They're deaf, to beeps from other cars, never mind a squeak in the van.

New safety rules for public transport vans enforced
By The Nation

86ce29e83706c70e40a2af6d1be9766f-sld.jpe

BANGKOK: -- The Land Transport Department has begun enforcing strict safety rules targeting public transport vans - including a 13-passenger limit.

The rules also require vans to have an emergency exit that can be opened from the inside with a visible, reflective Thai sign identifying it, a 20 centimetre-wide walking space to reach the emergency exit and at least three glass-breaking hammers on the left, the right and the back of vans.

Van operators who fail to comply with the rules face fines of Bt500 to Bt5,000 and having their licence suspended for up to six months.

On the first day of enforcement of the new rules on Monday, in which fines were capped at Bt500, many vans at Bangkok's Victory Monument complied with the requirements. 

Reducing the seating capacity from 15 seat to 13 aims to ensure there is enough space for passengers to quickly reach the emergency exit.

The department will also require fixed-route vans in Bangkok and elsewhere to submit their vehicles for an inspection and registration check on June 5 or July 5. 

Chartered vans will be inspected on August 5. 

Those who fail to comply face a maximum fine, the department warned.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30315249

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-15

I have been pleasantly surprised to see most minibuses cruising at 90kph during my recent (several) return trips to BKK but, hammering down the overtaking lane at terminal velocity are silver black on white and blue on white registered minibuses with illegally dark filmed windows and no markings the 'body language' suggesting they are carrying fare-paying pax.

so these vehicles will only carry13 passengers, do we really thing these driver owners will adhere to this rule, it just leaves more space for cargo to be moulded around the passengers (once on the road pick up on the way, who's going to know) 20 mm more standing room now

either this or the fares will rise to cover the loss of revenue or both

Edited by dieseldave1951

On 5/15/2017 at 10:33 AM, Emster23 said:

Regulations only as good as the people charged with enforcing them... so I don't expect much, if anything, will change. Other than enforcers will be bringing home a bit more money each month.

I have zero confidence that the authorities will meaningfully enforce any of this, not to mention, the more significant things not even mentioned in this news report like mandatory driver logs, speed limiting devices, GPS, drink-drug testing for drivers, etc etc.

Count me out also. Won't ever be taking any of those vans again -- as long as they continue to operate the way they have for so long.