Reentry permit, how does it work?

Suppose the following conditions:
You have a Visa and a reentry permit.

The Visa is expiring on 30 May 2017.

1. I go on a trip leaving the country and return BEFORE 30 May 2017 (eg 29 May 2017).

On returning to Thailand, I need to report to Immigration within 24 hours.

A. I will need to make a Visa extension BEFORE the expiring date (ie 30 May 2017).

B. I will be offered a temporary extension of my Visa ("x" days) in order to prepare the necessary documents for my Visa extension.

2. I go on a trip leaving the country and return AFTER 30 May 2017 (eg 9 Juin 2017).

A. I will be offered a temporary extension of my Visa ("x" days) in order to prepare the necessary documents for my Visa extension.

B. My visa will be extended for 1 year counting from the date I entered the Kingdom.

Which are the right answers?

First, make sure you understand the difference between a "visa" and a "permission to stay". The reentry permit has nothing whatever to do with your visa. It is tied to your current permission to stay. A reentry permit simply ensures that your permission to stay is completely unaffected by leaving and reentering Thailand.

If you return before your current permission to stay expires, but it only has a few days remaining validity, the immigration official will likely give you a choice between using the reentry permit or giving you a visa exempt entry. If returning after expiry of your permission to stay, the reentry permit has no affect.

• Like 2

Not sure what you have since visas are not extended. I assume you have an extension of stay already or a entry from a visa of to some sort.

1. A. Yes

B. No

2. No You only get a 30 day visa exempt entry if you qualify for one.

To clear the "Pedantic" answers (Visa/Entension to stay) off in the thread, I think that it is very clear in my OP what Visa I have and that I mean "Extention to stay".
So, for the "Pedantic" members, I will rewrite my OP.

Suppose the following conditions:
I have a valid Visa/Permission to stay for 1 year (Retirement Visa) and a reentry permit.

The Visa extension /Permission to stay is expiring on 30 May 2017.

1. I go on a trip leaving the country and return BEFORE 30 May 2017 (eg 29 May 2017).

A. I will need to make a Visa extension/Permission to stay BEFORE the expiring date (ie 30 May 2017).

B. I will be offered a temporary extension of my Visa/Permission to stay  ("x" days) in order to prepare the necessary documents for my Visa extension.

2. I go on a trip leaving the country and return AFTER 30 May 2017 (eg 9 Juin 2017).

A. I will be offered a temporary extension of my Visa/Permission to stay ("x" days) in order to prepare the necessary documents for my Visa extension.

B. My visa/Permission to Stay will be extended for 1 year counting from the date I entered the Kingdom.

Which are the right answers?

PS.: For the Pedantic members, the extension is called a "VISA EXTENSION" in the website of Immigration and not a "Permission to stay".

visa.jpg

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

First, make sure you understand the difference between a "visa" and a "permission to stay". The reentry permit has nothing whatever to do with your visa. It is tied to your current permission to stay. A reentry permit simply ensures that your permission to stay is completely unaffected by leaving and reentering Thailand.

If you return before your current permission to stay expires, but it only has a few days remaining validity, the immigration official will likely give you a choice between using the reentry permit or giving you a visa exempt entry. If returning after expiry of your permission to stay, the reentry permit has no affect.

Is the wording "VISA EXTENSION" clear to you?
Read the Immigration website if you have doubts about MY interpretation of a Visa extension.

visa.jpg

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what you have since visas are not extended. I assume you have an extension of stay already or a entry from a visa of to some sort.

1. A. Yes

B. No

2. No You only get a 30 day visa exempt entry if you qualify for one.

Visas are not extended?
You should go to Immigration and talk to them.
It seems that you have a better knowledge about Visas than Immigration.

visa.jpg

38 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Is the wording "VISA EXTENSION" clear to you?
Read the Immigration website if you have doubts about MY interpretation of a Visa extension.

visa.jpg

Yes, I have seen that (totally misleading) wording in the past. The extension is of your permission to stay. Your confusion on what happens when reentering the country with a reentry permit to protect the permission to stay shows the importance of maintaining the distinction.

Once you undrestand what happens when a permission to stay expires, and you understand that the reentry permit simply prevents your exit and reentry having any effect on your permission to stay, it becomes obvious what the answers to your questions are.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

It isn't a question of pedantry. The distinction between a visa and its expiry date and having a permission to stay or extension of your permission to stay is an important one, particularly when it comes to re-entry permit.

As others have said, a re-entry permit has nothing to do with a visa and visas are never extended. 

Rather than criticize those who have offered to help you, if you already knew the difference, why not pose your quesion in the O/P using the correct terms. Some people clearly do not understand the difference, so the explanations given were meant to clarify.

I suggest you go to any immigration office, show them the visa that you were given at an embassy and ask them to extend it. I can guarantee you that they'll either tell you that it cannot be done or they'll look through your passport for your permission or extension and decide whether or not you can extend that.

Thai immigration websites were written by those whose command of English is limited. Presumably you've discovered that Thai English sometimes is not 100% accurate.

Oh dear.
And according to you, everybody in ThaiVisa is mastering PERFECT English.
Not American English or Australian English, but PERFECT British English.

I suggest that YOU go look in Google and read what will be answered to your political correctness and proofreading comments from people whose Primary language is NOT English.

The meaning of my OP was very well understood by many members here.
Only a few, Stone Aged members, don't (want to) understand the OP and want to deflect the OP to a discussion about Visa and extension to stay.

It is a very bad behavior in Internet to start to correct or start a different discussion (Hijaacking a post) because of the language errors.

Yes, I even discovered that many times even English - English is not 100% accurate.

9 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

Look Confuscious it has nothing to do with good or bad English, the simple fact is you 

made a mistake and got it wrong, it was pointed out to you , accept it and move on.

You see, phuketjock, if I was wrong, I would accept it.
But the one who is wrong in this whole discussion (which you tried to Hijack and convert to a discussion about Visa and extension to stay) is YOU.
You said a few alineas above that there is not such thing as a "Visa extension".
IF you know already that there is no such thing as a "Visa extension", what is the point to discuss this meaningless error and accept that the expression "Visa extension" should read "extension of stay"?

I end this senseless discussion about Visa and "Extension to stay" with you here.

Edited by Confuscious

2 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

You see, phuketjock, if I was wrong, I would accept it.
But the one who is wrong in this whole discussion (which you tried to Hijack and convert to a discussion about Visa and extension to stay) is YOU.
You said a few alineas above that there is not such thing as a "Visa extension".
IF you know already that there is no such thing as a "Visa extension", what is the point to discuss this meaningless error and accept that the expression "Visa extension" should read "extension of stay"?

I end this senseless discussion about Visa and "Extension to stay here.

Now you really are confused, I made 2 posts and in none of them did I even mention 

anything about " visas extensions or indeed extension of stay " i think you may be

confusing me with what ubonjoe said, which incidentally, was absolutely correct.

If you continue to use the incorrect terminology in the future I can assure you you

will continue to be informed of your errors so I would ask you to make some effort

to learn the correct meanings of the terminology you wish to use, but as they say

here in Thailand " up to you ". 

• Like 2

Put as simply as possible.

In my 9 years of living here on a Retirement Visa  Ive NEVER heard of this -

"B. I will be offered a temporary extension of my Visa ("x" days) in order to prepare the necessary documents for my Visa  extension" 

Complete your Application for Extension by the DUE DATE.

Or face fines .

I was 3 days late due to a hiccup with my Bank sending my money , and other than being gently chastised and paying 1500 baht in fines ,  the Extension was issued. No talk of the above. I have no idea where you have heard of "B."

OP Confucius, instead of wasting everyone's time here, ranting and raving at people trying to help you, why don't you just go to your nearest immigration office and pose the questions to them.  Then you can let us know what they have to say to you.