Reentry permit, how does it work?

21 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I would also make it a point to physically SHOW the stamped re-entry permit in my passport to immigration on arrival.

It may be a bit of overkill to show them the re-entry permit, but I do.

I do the same. I always have the passport open on the re-entry page and I always double-check the date given before moving on. They make lots of mistakes.

It doesnt matter WHAT you have in your passport .................the immigration officer at the airport WILL NOT give you (xxx) number of days to prepare your paperwork. he will stamp you in for whatever  what you have in your passport entitles you to.

If you arrive AFTER you extension to stay and/or re-entry permit have expired you will ( if eligible ) get 30 days and have to start the whole process from the beginning .................EXACTLY as Ubonjoe has already advised you.

If you arrive BEFORE your extension to stay/ re-entry permit expire you will be stamped in UNTIL THE DATE THAT THEY DO EXPIRE.

I recently arrived in Thailand on a re-entry permit on 2nd MAY 2017 and was stamped in until 6th May 2017( this was the date that my then current permission to stay AND re-entry permit expired. i of course went to immigration on 4th may 2017 to obtain a new( extension

Ubon joe is NEVER wrong when it comes to matters about visa's , extension of stay and re-entry permits.......................

SO LISTEN TO HIS ADVICE>

A question on the side: how long does a re-entry permit last?

I am about to get one for a quick weekend break trip to Vietnam, but would it be better to cancel Vietnam as I am due a more important and longer trip to Blighty in a month or so that could last for several weeks.

My "permission to stay" has just had it's 1st 90 day report so no worries on that front. However if I am away in the UK when the next 90 day report is due will I have a problem when I come back?

Best to know before I book any flights.

1 minute ago, George Feedback said:

A question on the side: how long does a re-entry permit last?

I am about to get one for a quick weekend break trip to Vietnam, but would it be better to cancel Vietnam as I am due a more important and longer trip to Blighty in a month or so that could last for several weeks.

My "permission to stay" has just had it's 1st 90 day report so no worries on that front. However if I am away in the UK when the next 90 day report is due will I have a problem when I come back?

Best to know before I book any flights.

A re-entry permit keeps your permission to stay alive.  It is nothing to do with 90 day reports.  If you are on an extension of stay then you need to keep it alive with a re-entry permit.  You can get one for Vietnam and later one for the UK if you want (2 x THB1000) or a multiple re-entry for THB3800 will cover both trips and any others in the future.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

A re-entry permit keeps your permission to stay alive.  It is nothing to do with 90 day reports.  If you are on an extension of stay then you need to keep it alive with a re-entry permit.  You can get one for Vietnam and later one for the UK if you want (2 x THB1000) or a multiple re-entry for THB3800 will cover both trips and any others in the future.

Okay thanks. I wasn't aware you could get multiple re-entry permits.

Just a little clarification please, if I am away when the 90 is due is the fact I am away mean I don't need to do a belated report when I get back?

Just now, George Feedback said:

Okay thanks. I wasn't aware you could get multiple re-entry permits.

Just a little clarification please, if I am away when the 90 is due is the fact I am away mean I don't need to do a belated report when I get back?

Correct, you do your next 90 day report 90 days from your return date (date of return being day 1).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Correct, you do your next 90 day report 90 days from your return date (date of return being day 1).

Many thanks. First time I have had to do this. I'm retired now after a stint back in UK, but I worked here for years before that.

Cheers :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Many people, myself included, get a multi entry reentry permit at the same time we do our annual extension of stay. Worth doing if you anticipate makingseveral trips a year out of country. The validity of the permit is the same as that of your permission to stay, though if it is a single reentry permit it is voided after you use it once.

The 90 day report is due after you have been 90 consecutive days in the country. If you leave before 90 days no report was needed for that period and when you returnthe 90 day clock starts all over again.

I just returned to Swampy and although I had 2 individual re-entry permits, got hauled away by the Immigration.....it seems (as they said, people with lots of badges and crap) we are only allowed to have one single re-entry permit in our PP at a time

They were going to cancel both, but wife talked them out of that explaining that I was issued the 2 by Immigration...took a while!

Petchaburi Immigration in Tha Yang issued them to me...so beware

On 5/15/2017 at 1:10 PM, Confuscious said:

Oh dear.
And according to you, everybody in ThaiVisa is mastering PERFECT English.
Not American English or Australian English, but PERFECT British English.

I suggest that YOU go look in Google and read what will be answered to your political correctness and proofreading comments from people whose Primary language is NOT English.

The meaning of my OP was very well understood by many members here.
Only a few, Stone Aged members, don't (want to) understand the OP and want to deflect the OP to a discussion about Visa and extension to stay.

It is a very bad behavior in Internet to start to correct or start a different discussion (Hijaacking a post) because of the language errors.

Yes, I even discovered that many times even English - English is not 100% accurate.

There is a fundamental problem on the forum with the various forms of English and the understanding reflected in the use of said forms. Many, and particularly those using one of the alternative forms of English, are trying to prohibit the use of descriptive adjectives so any use of this type of adjective will be jumped upon by the pedantics. Main reason these topics deteriorate into a slanging match.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sandyf said:

There is a fundamental problem on the forum with the various forms of English and the understanding reflected in the use of said forms. Many, and particularly those using one of the alternative forms of English, are trying to prohibit the use of descriptive adjectives so any use of this type of adjective will be jumped upon by the pedantics. Main reason these topics deteriorate into a slanging match.

The best description of the abuse of the forum I have read in decades.

KUDOS sandyf