UK Short Term Student Visa

My son (Thai citizen) has been accepted to take a 2 week course at Kings College over the summer. Looking at the visa requirements, they state to bring his TB test results, but the very next page state that if the visa is for less than six months (it will be for 2 weeks) then its not necessary. The test has to be done through their approved hospitals, via an outsourced office, its time consuming and expensive! Anybody have any experience with this? I have emailed for clarification but have yet to hear back. Appreciate any info.

5 hours ago, bkkrox said:

My son (Thai citizen) has been accepted to take a 2 week course at Kings College over the summer. Looking at the visa requirements, they state to bring his TB test results, but the very next page state that if the visa is for less than six months (it will be for 2 weeks) then its not necessary. The test has to be done through their approved hospitals, via an outsourced office, its time consuming and expensive! Anybody have any experience with this? I have emailed for clarification but have yet to hear back. Appreciate any info.

I am fairly certain he doesn't need one but somebody else will confirm.

If he is your son and you are a Brit why doesn't he have a British passport?

IOM in Bangkok only. 3300 baht and you need an early appointment to get in done in a day. They will send your son off to a hospital for an XRay and then he has to go back to IOM to get the certificate.

Kasemkij Building, 8th floor
120, Silom road, Bangrak, Bangkok

Tel : 02‐234‐7950‐5
Fax: 02‐234‐7956
E‐mail: [email protected]

I, too, believed that TB certificates were only required if applying to enter the UK for a period of more than 6 months.

However, from Short-term study visa: 3 Documents you must provide

When you apply you need to provide:

your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test

Which did surprise me.

You say that he is your son.

• Are you British otherwise than by descent?
  • Is he your biological son and are you named as his father on his birth certificate or have other proof of paternity?
  • If he was born before 1st July 2006, were you married to his mother at the time of his birth or have you married her since? 

If the answer to all the above is 'yes' then he is probably British. In which case any UK visa application he makes should be refused, as it is illegal to place UK entry restrictions upon British citizens, and he should apply for a British passport instead (see UK Visa for child entitled to UK Citizenship)   

If he is a British citizen entering the UK with a British passport he wont need a TB certificate, no matter his purpose for entering and how long he intends to stay for.