Going Down: All the times farangs were forced into humiliating apologetic 'wais'

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

None of those wai's  appear to apologetic to me. Their hands are way to low. It looks more like an insult. Showing little respect.

Spot on !

You beat me to this observation.

3 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Hmmm what would be appropriate gesture when my Western culture is disrespected by demanding bride payment? Check is in the mail?

Send the cheque in the email next time

3 hours ago, Mongk0l said:

Being asked to do a Wai is hardly being shamed. There is nothing either demeaning or humiliating about joining hands together as a sign of respect and graceful dignity. Perhaps more farangs to do it.

Also, if you were a guest in someone else's house, it would be civilized to abide by their rules, whether they made sense to you or not. I find it vexing that farangs choose to come to Thailand — because they get treated here with respect and affection they would never see in their home countries — and then spend their time criticizing the country's customs, practices, laws and so on. I can think of worse 'punishments' than being asked to join your hands and saying sorry.

And by the way, you really can't have the fruits without the roots.

There is no way I am going to wai anyone I have no respect for just as I won't shake hands with a Farang I have no respect for, but may I point out I always start off by having respect for people, but I will not show any respect to any groups of people who I do not like they're ways. At the end of the day, respect has to be earned.

3 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Hmmm what would be appropriate gesture when my Western culture is disrespected by demanding bride payment? Check is in the mail?

I think the poster is referring to the dowry.

I remember seeing a photo on front page of Thai Raht about 25 years ago. In the photo a Thai man and woman sat in chairs and kneeling in front was another Thai man giving a deep wai. Surrounding were a dozen or so police. I asked my secretary to read and translate for me: the seated couple had a little 3 or 4 yo daughter. The other Thai man abducted the little daughter, raped and sodomized her, then cut her throat and kept her remains hidden in the roof of his house. He was eventually arrested and the police brought him to the parents of the dead child to wai and tell them he was sorry. 

11 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

There is no way I am going to wai anyone I have no respect for just as I won't shake hands with a Farang I have no respect for, but may I point out I always start off by having respect for people, but I will not show any respect to any groups of people who I do not like they're ways. At the end of the day, respect has to be earned.

Well, if you want to get out of "there" and they ask you to 'wai ' a person you don't like , it seems reasonable to 'wai' , and get out of 'there' as soon as you can,

it's only a show in the end, and nothing to do with real "respect" . Or simply choosing the path of  ' less resistance'

I have to say, that, the more i live in Thailand, the more i appreciate " Thainess ".. and see the logic in it... well, it works wonderful sometimes, and awful at times, it's not perfect, but, who or what is perfect..

What´s the fuzz? They made fool out of themselfs. All of them also know what it means and that it´s Thai tradition.
Choose to come to a country, make an ass out of yourself and pay the price.

End of that BS!

25 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, if you want to get out of "there" and they ask you to 'wai ' a person you don't like , it seems reasonable to 'wai' , and get out of 'there' as soon as you can,

it's only a show in the end, and nothing to do with real "respect" . Or simply choosing the path of  ' less resistance'

I have to say, that, the more i live in Thailand, the more i appreciate " Thainess ".. and see the logic in it... well, it works wonderful sometimes, and awful at times, it's not perfect, but, who or what is perfect..

Yes, you do have a point, I could Wai, then follow it up with a middle finger.

Little kids are taught to wai before they can speak, so yes .... it's a normal everyday part of Thai culture, and I reckon it's wrong for expats to ridicule something that 70 million locals do 10 times every day of their lives.

Immigrants that choose to "stick up the middle finger" at any country's entrenched culture, have chosen the wrong place to live .... IMHO

2 minutes ago, electric said:

Little kids are taught to wai before they can speak, so yes .... it's a normal everyday part of Thai culture, and I reckon it's wrong for expats to ridicule something that 70 million locals do 10 times every day of their lives.

Immigrants that choose to "stick up the middle finger" at any country's entrenched culture, have chosen the wrong place to live .... IMHO

The 'middle finger' remark, i guess, was not intended for the culture, which everyone respects, it was intended for some specific people you don't really like, but you are requested to 'wai' to.

Pro farang tip:  If you want to go above and beyond, you can also add that you “love Thailand.”

Even better, say you 'love thailand' in Thai whilst humming a few bars of Chart Thai.  

Edited by connda

11 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

None of those wai's  appear to apologetic to me. Their hands are way to low. It looks more like an insult. Showing little respect.

Which is how I would do it if forced to Wai on camera.............

14 hours ago, electric said:

... The locals in my soi tell my wife "husband good man ... he say hello everyone and wai with respect."...

He who Wais first wais best. If you get the draw and beat them to it, there's an embarrassment factor, I think.  But pay attention to the height and care of the Wai-back.  It will tell you a bit about that person and your standing. Of course, really old fold folks will probably say "Uh", or maybe not, and not react much.  Except for royalty or really big cheese, I don't wai much higher than my nostrils to most officials, in case I have to pick my nose. 

But there is an art to the wai, just as in a handshake.  Proper hand placement and just the correct height , head position and duration.  I freaking hate people who shake hands and try to crush your bones with a "hearty handshake".  That is barbaric.