Sadistic British child killer, 'Moors Murderer' Ian Brady, dies

webfact

Sadistic British child killer, 'Moors Murderer' Ian Brady, dies

By Michael Holden

REUTERS

r6.jpg

Toys and tributes left by the family of Moors murder victm Keith Bennett are seen tied to a fence on Saddleworth Moor near Manchester northern England, August 17, 2012. Police are investigating whether Moors murdered Ian Brady has revealed the location of Bennett's body. REUTERS/Phil Noble

LONDON (Reuters) - One of Britain's most notorious killers, "Moors murderer" Ian Brady, who murdered five children with his lover and accomplice Myra Hindley during a sadistic two-year reign of terror in the 1960s died on Monday.

Brady and Hindley were jailed for life in 1966 for abducting, torturing, sexually abusing and then murdering the children before burying their young victims on the bleak Saddleworth Moor near the northern city of Manchester.

Brady died at Ashworth secure hospital in Liverpool, where he has been housed since 1985 after being diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, aged 79.

"We can confirm a 79-year-old patient in long-term care at Ashworth High Secure Hospital has died after becoming physically unwell," a spokesman for the hospital said.

For many of his last years, Brady had been on intermittent hunger strike and staff at Ashworth fed him via a tube through the nose on the grounds he was insane and incapable of deciding to end his own life.

In 2013, a Mental Health Tribunal rejected his request to return to prison, ruling it was necessary in his interests and for the safety of others that he remain at Ashworth.

The sadistic nature of the Moors Murderers' killings made them among the most despised figures in Britain.

Brady was found guilty of snatching and killing 12-year-old John Kilbride, Edward Evans, 17, Lesley Ann Downey, 10, while Hindley was convicted of murdering Downey and Evans and shielding her lover in the third case.

In the 1980s, the couple admitted abducting and murdering 16-year-old Pauline Reade on her way to a Manchester disco in 1963 and killing Keith Bennett, 12, in 1964.

They were finally caught when Hindley's brother-in-law tipped off police.

During their trial the court heard tape recordings made by the couple of their victims pleading for mercy before they were tortured and killed.

One tape featured the voice of Downey, filled with pain and fear, whimpering: "I want to see my mummy. Please God, help me."

Although their crimes took place 40 years ago, the revulsion felt by Britons and the hatred directed at them by the tabloid press hardly diminished.

Hindley was Britain's longest serving female prisoner when she died in 2002 after 36 years in jail.

Successive UK governments had refused to release her despite her claims she had reformed and was driven to commit the murders by the psychopathic Brady. He insisted she was as much to blame.

Hindley had tried to court favour by helping police to find the missing body of Bennett. But despite exhaustive searches, his body has never been found.

When she was cremated, a banner which read "Burn in hell" was left outside the building.

(Editing by Guy Faulconbridge and Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-16

He had wanted to be transferred to prison in Scotland, where there is no regime of forced feeding of those refusing food. This is one case in which a prisoner's demands should have been met...with good riddance.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Hope it was a very painful death,they should have brought the death penalty back for the likes of him. rest in torment.

regards  worgeordie

Why?   The article makes clear that the man was seriously mentally ill. Delusional and living in a fantasy world where down was up and left was right. He hallucinated. That's what paranoid schizophrenia is.  Why then would you wish him a "very painful death"?  He did not know right from wrong and could not control himself. It was physically impossible. His brain was defective. He was already living a life of painful torment with the voices in his head that were never quiet.

I am all for calculated killing. However, when we kill the mentally ill, it doesn't go over very well with those who hold life sacred, or  with those who do not believe in  removing genetic defectives from the general population. Ideally, he should have been exterminated when he was an adolescent  when the illness manifested itself. Again, there are those who would object to  killing mentally ill kids. I do not object to the killing, but torturing a mental defective  does seem a bit cruel to me.

What gets to me is we pay in all our lives ,live here but if we go home have to pay one and a half times the cost for hospital treatment , yet if you kill  lots of kids you get the best hospital treatment free , strange that 

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Why?   The article makes clear that the man was seriously mentally ill. Delusional and living in a fantasy world where down was up and left was right. He hallucinated. That's what paranoid schizophrenia is.  Why then would you wish him a "very painful death"?  He did not know right from wrong and could not control himself. It was physically impossible. His brain was defective. He was already living a life of painful torment with the voices in his head that were never quiet.

I am all for calculated killing. However, when we kill the mentally ill, it doesn't go over very well with those who hold life sacred, or  with those who do not believe in  removing genetic defectives from the general population. Ideally, he should have been exterminated when he was an adolescent  when the illness manifested itself. Again, there are those who would object to  killing mentally ill kids. I do not object to the killing, but torturing a mental defective  does seem a bit cruel to me.

Your post went very quickly from being something I could rationalise, to being one of the most disturbing things I have read on TV.

The suffering he caused the children was terrible and the suffering Brady caused the Mother of Keith Bennett all her life was intolerable. All she ever wanted was the body of her son so he could be buried and her buried with him. She died a few years ago as she lived her life since the 1960's - totally broken. Brady could have revealed the location of young Keith's body but he chose not to.

Incidentally at the time of the crimes it was deemed that Brady was of sound mind. He was only diagnosed with psychiatric problems after around 20 years in prison.

I believe he has just gone to nothingness, but if I am wrong and there really is a hell, I hope Lucifers minions have something imaginative in store for him.

Edited by Andaman Al

R.I.P. Ian..................

By that I mean.......Rot In Purgatory..........I am nearly the same age as Keith Bennett would have been, I also grew up playing around and on Saddleworth Moor, I know the reservoir where the headline picture was taken, and I remember the effects their heinous crimes had on my parents, and the local community........ It is just a shame the death penalty was revoked.........:bah:

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Having a painful death ,would be poetic justice, after the terrible pain and suffering he inflicted on those poor kids, before  killing them.plus he would not give the mother of one of the kids final closure, by revealing the burial site of the child.

regards worgeordie

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Having a painful death ,would be poetic justice, after the terrible pain and suffering he inflicted on those poor kids, before  killing them.plus he would not give the mother of one of the kids final closure, by revealing the burial site of the child.

regards worgeordie

"he would not give the mother of one of the kids final closure, by revealing the burial site of the child."

How sadistic would you have to be to not at least reveal the burial site for grieving parents/relatives??

I'm not in favour of the death penalty as too many innocent people have been executed - but in this case there was incontrovertible evidence and it wasn't a one-off'.  They were sadistic psychopaths that had no compunction about torturing and killing others.

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Your post went very quickly from being something I could rationalise, to being one of the most disturbing things I have read on TV.

I think he just phrased it carelessly. He seems to be saying the death penalty is reasonable for a serial killer as long as the latter is judged mentally competent. Commonwealth citizens have the idea that all US states have the death penalty, but 20 don't, the most of the rest use it very sparingly. Only Texas and Oklahoma seem to be overzealous. Personally I support what the famous FBI profiler John Douglas says about it. He and Robert Ressler were the two original profilers, and Ressler coined the term "serial killer."  Ressler believed serial killers such as Ted Bundy--who knew right from wrong and was therefore judged competent to stand trial--should just get life in prison so they could be studied. Douglas, in contrast, believes they've all been studied enough and should be put to death. He believes from his extensive encounters, a career helping catch and then studying such killers, that they have no redeeming human virtues whatsoever, 100% narcissistic personality disorder than can never be rehabilitated and is only satisfied by seeing the life go out of some young woman's or young girl's eyes. One time, for a group of anti-death penalty advocates, he played a video or audio tape (not sure which) that a couple of killers had made of themselves torturing a little girl to death in their van. When the tape was over, the group emerged in tears and unanimously agreed with Douglas that an exception should be made for sadistic serial killers. They should die. I believe the death penalty is right, but only for serial killers of sound mind (i.e. those that know right from wrong. So, if they try to hide their crimes, that meets the threshold of knowing right from wrong. Never mind the little voices they claim to be hearing.)

Edited by Dustdevil

5 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

I think he just phrased it carelessly. He seems to be saying the death penalty is reasonable for a serial killer as long as the latter is judged mentally competent. Commonwealth citizens have the idea that all US states have the death penalty, but 20 don't, the most of the rest use it very sparingly. Only Texas and Oklahoma seem to be overzealous. Personally I support what the famous FBI profiler John Douglas says about it. He and Robert Ressler were the two original profilers, and Ressler coined the term "serial killer."  Ressler believed serial killers such as Ted Bundy--who knew right from wrong and was therefore judged competent to stand trial--should just get life in prison so they could be studied. Douglas, in contrast, believes they've all been studied enough and should be put to death. He believes from his extensive encounters, a career helping catch and then studying such killers, that they have no redeeming human virtues whatsoever, 100% narcissistic personality disorder than can never be rehabilitated and is only satisfied by seeing the life go out of some young woman's or young girl's eyes. One time, for a group of anti-death penalty advocates, he played a video or audio tape (not sure which) that a couple of killers had made of themselves torturing a little girl to death in their van. When the tape was over, the group emerged in tears and unanimously agreed with Douglas that an exception should be made for sadistic serial killers. They should die. I believe the death penalty is right, but only for serial killers of sound mind (i.e. those that know right from wrong. So, if they try to hide their crimes, that meets the threshold of knowing right from wrong. Never mind the little voices they claim to be hearing.)

I'd add, as long as there is incontrovertible proof.

8 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Rightly so. Yet they were quite happy to release Thompson  and Venables.

They were vile children when it happened, and the justice system did nothing to turn them into normal people.

Having said this, I've no doubt they were psychopaths and should never have been released.

I had to laugh though when receiving a round robin type email from a friend saying that they had been moved to Australia :laugh:!  It only took a few seconds of thought to realise this was (to put it mildly) extremely unlikely!

Good,good,good, i hope you burn in hell for all eternity. No more public cost, keeping this disgusting, perverted animal housed and alive.

If i had had my way, he would have been in general population in the nick ages ago.At least Myra Hindley had the decency to die before him, lessening the burden on the British tax payer. I can not explain how happy i am now that you are dead.I hope it was in agony, and that you were fully aware of the pain.

I hope that Lucifer has a special place for you. You scum sucking pig.

Edited by Khon Kaen Dave

2 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

Possibly you are correct. My inference was that the OP was calling for youths who dispaly 'serial killer' tendencies to be euthanised irrespective of how arbitrary the features may be or whether they have acted upon their impulses in some sort of eugenic purge. 

I think the example you give of the anti-death penalty advocates is a clear justification for the need to avoid sentiment in the delivery of justuce. Callous as it may seem, while the victims should be considered, the law should, in my mind, be objective at all time in sentencing.

10 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Are you aware of what Brady did to Lesley Ann Downey? I cant post it here for the risk of being suspended, but it involved a bolt cropper, and fingers, because she wouldn't commit an oral act on him.Did you read how the jury sobbed, and also the public,  and even the coppers, and they were hardened men.I dont care how mentally disturbed he was, he should suffer the eternal agonies of fire for eternity.And the poster that remarked about the Bulger boys killers, they should never have been released. Yes, that was a big mistake too.I was a single dad for many years, and i cannot explain what i would have done to anybody who harmed one hair of my daughters head. I would seek retribution until the day i died.No sympathy, no excuses, nothing.

17 minutes ago, bannork said:

Was he kept in solitary all those years? Can't imagine he would have survived one night in the general prison population.

Yes he was on permanent section order.I cant think of any other con that would have wanted to share a cell with this piece of shit.He must have been well protected, because, in the nick, it doesn't matter what section your are on, if they want to get at you,  they will. The favourite thing was putting 2 pence pieces to a grind stone. shaving them down on 80% of the coin, and then flicking them at you.Cuts like a bastard.

Edited by Khon Kaen Dave
additional content

7 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Possibly you are correct. My inference was that the OP was calling for youths who dispaly 'serial killer' tendencies to be euthanised irrespective of how arbitrary the features may be or whether they have acted upon their impulses in some sort of eugenic purge. 

I think the example you give of the anti-death penalty advocates is a clear justification for the need to avoid sentiment in the delivery of justuce. Callous as it may seem, while the victims should be considered, the law should, in my mind, be objective at all time in sentencing.

True, but Douglas was just making a point to a bunch of activists, not to a courtroom. Ted Bundy murdered young women all over the country but was unfortunate enough to get caught commiting his final abominations in Florida, a death penalty state (at the time, anyway--not sure about now). He certainly knew right from wrong--he not only had a bachelor's degree but was also a law student. Law school is a post-graduate school in the U.S. and difficult to get into. He had been a Republican Party aide in Washington state, was charming and intelligent. Obviously he was sane enough to stand trial. He was also a sick f%$@ who loved nothing more than to torture young women to death. He, and most other serials, are probably sicker than you can imagine. Bundy liked to return to the scenes where he left the bodies and copulate with the decapitated heads of his victims. Bye bye Bundy, we don't miss you. Jeffrey Dahmer was another sick bastard, perhaps even worse than Bundy. Fortunately he got put in the prison gen pop and was murdered there. Good.

Edited by Dustdevil

I read no one is claiming kinship. Perhaps authorities can use Flat Top's advice from Snatch. Growing up in the late 50s early 60s, I can't imagine what parents across the region were feeling.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

I read no one is claiming kinship. Perhaps authorities can use Flat Top's advice from Snatch. Growing up in the late 50s early 60s, I can't imagine what parents across the region were feeling.

Should have said Brick Top.