Football fiasco: Two Britons, Thai accused of Premier League piracy

Football fiasco: Two Britons, Thai accused of Premier League piracy

Two British men and a Thai woman have been arrested for allegedly streaming English Premier League football broadcasts illegally.

Following a complaint from Football Association Premier League Ltd (FAPL), the Department of Special Investigated and on May 10 arrested Daryl William Lloyd, 39, Willion John Robinson, 35, and Supattra Raksasat, 33.

The arrests were only announced on Tuesday.

DSI deputy chief Pol Maj Suriya Singhakol said the agency raided five locations and had initially planned to arrest three foreigners and a Thai after receiving the complaint from FAPL representative Piraya Thammasujarit. The third foreigner was not arrested and has not been named.

Piraya had asked the DSI to investigate the Thailand-based website 365sport.tv for illegally providing an IPTV service by which Premier League matches could be streamed and viewed live.

Suriya said the website was suspected of hosting five others – Thaiexpat.tv, Hkexpat.tv, Inoexpat.tv, Vietexpat.tv and Euroexpat.tv.

He said the suspects have been charged with violating the Computer Crime Act and Intellectual Property Rights Act and causing in excess of Bt100 million worth of damages to FAPL, which owns the Premier League broadcast rights in Thailand.

The three are accused of selling IPTV set-top boxes to clients in Thailand and several European and other Asian nations and collecting monthly fees for the Internet broadcasts.

DSI officers raided a house in Nonthaburi’s Mueang district, a house in Samut Prakan’s Bangplee district and three locations in Bangkok – a condo residence in Huay Kwang, Kertch Co in Klong Toei and ProImage Co in Bang Rak.

Nine computer servers, 49 set-top boxes and three mobile phones were seized in those raids.

Suriya said the two Britons have been released on bail at the request of the British Embassy.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30315369

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-16

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Suriya said the website was suspected of hosting five others – Thaiexpat.tv, Hkexpat.tv, Inoexpat.tv, Vietexpat.tv and Euroexpat.tv.

That will also answer some other questions that our members have been recently asking.

39 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Two British men and a Thai woman have been arrested for allegedly streaming English Premier League football broadcasts illegally.

Come on, we all knew it was only a matter of time before this happened.

two Britons have been released on bail at the request of the British Embassy. Hmm amazing work the embassy do ...  The FCO promotes the United Kingdom's interests overseas, supporting our citizens and businesses around the globe.

17 minutes ago, clifric said:

alfieconn -the complaint is stated as from FA Premier League; it would need a similar one from BBC to stop Thaiexpat TV

I know that, but i'm replying to the part of the OP that ses  Suriya said the website was suspected of hosting five others – Thaiexpat.tv, Hkexpat.tv, Inoexpat.tv, Vietexpat.tv and Euroexpat.tv.

Not sure but isn't the case that once something has been broadcast it is then no longer considered private property.

Re-broadcasting something that is live while it's live is the problem especially when it's being financed by advertising.

I'm not sure but would things be different if it was sent out say with 90 minutes delay.

I don't know the answers myself I'm just sayin'

22 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So the rumours were true. How long before the only way to watch the Premier League will be going back to Truevisions?

I'd rather listen on the radio-well commentary on my phone anyway.

Talk Sport has a free app that covers premier league and cup competitions.

55 minutes ago, clockman said:

Crime of the century, meanwhile drugs,road deaths, corruption. Business a usual!

It's a significant crime because it involves commercial exploitation of another company's broadcast rights (theft).  On the other hand, enforcement of drug laws is ineffective and is a substantial contributor to the corruption you mention.