Sales pressure - has this happened to you?

bazza73

I do wonder if Thai sales staff employ these tactics with all customers, or just falangs:

Exhibit 1. Buying 6" insulation for a ceiling. Saleswoman says I will need to change it in 5 years as the insulation breaks down. Excuse me? I've worked in the fibreglass insulation industry. I've seen 50 yo houses where the roof insulation is still in perfect condition.

Exhibit 2. My Yamaha ticks up 12,000 km. I take it in for a service. Desk staff when I pay the bill tell me it needs a service every 1000 km. The Yamaha manual back in my condo recommends servicing every 4000 km.

Exhibit 3. I'm buying an air conditioner for a 30 sqm area. Advice from a qualified friend and on TV indicates I need 18,000 to 20,000 BTU capacity for said area.

So I pick out a Toshiba, 18,000 BTU for a good price.

The sales guy, who is still young enough to have acne, asks me what area I am air conditioning. 30 sqm. Looks troubled, pulls out his calculator and tells me I need a 40,000 BTU unit.

I say no, I want the Toshiba.But sir, if you do that, you will void our store's warranty. Hellooo. The warranty comes from the manufacturer, not your store. Takes about 20 minutes to convince him I am NOT buying the 40,000 BTU unit ( none on display anyway ), another 20 minutes of faffing around with desk staff to finalise the sale.

Who is training Thai sales staff? Don't they realise they are making their sales and desk staff look like idiots?

Disappointed with this thread I mean I thought old bazza was in meltdown mode feeling the heat maybe even sitting on a balcony somewhere typing away on TV for reassurance he is not alone with the pressures today's men face. (Ladyboys and women too)

Instead I'm reading that you are wasting valuable time in a shop discussing your requirements with staff who dare I say it; are being deliberately advised on such matters to induce more business.

And yet you know the deal beforehand. It's normal here I think I've seen it plenty but some top examples I might add.

17 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Disappointed with this thread I mean I thought old bazza was in meltdown mode feeling the heat maybe even sitting on a balcony somewhere typing away on TV for reassurance he is not alone with the pressures today's men face. (Ladyboys and women too)

Instead I'm reading that you are wasting valuable time in a shop discussing your requirements with staff who dare I say it; are being deliberately advised on such matters to induce more business.

And yet you know the deal beforehand. It's normal here I think I've seen it plenty but some top examples I might add.

I add, occasionally as a family we decide to buy some type of product, my Thai adult son quickly does some research and asks his friends for feedback etc.

Now when we get to the shops my son asks questions of the salespeople and my son often he catches them out with their on the moment bullshit answers. He's never rude but he makes his point and then walks away.  

1. We start looking at bigger size top loading washing machines, salesman quickly asks us to look at XXX machine at the end of the row. Salesman tells my son 'a little bit more expensive but much more powerful motor'.

In fact my son has already decided which machine to buy a different machine.

A couple of weeks later my son shows me a posting on a Thai webboard indicating that XXX machine has been withdrawn from the market because of motor failure under load. 

2. Salesperson is trying hard to get the customer to buy a certain brand of TV. Potential customer asks 'why is this brand better?'  Response, 'because it's got a bigger motor'.

Edited by scorecard

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I add, occasionally as a family we decide to buy some type of product, my Thai adult son quickly does some research and asks his friends for feedback etc.

Now when we get to the shops my son asks questions of the salespeople and often he catches them out with their on the moment bullshit answers:

1. We start looking at bigger size top loading washing machines, salesman quickly asks to look at XXX machine at the end of the row. Salesman tells my son 'a little bit more expensive but much more powerful motor'

In fact my son has already decided which machine to buy .

A couple of weeks later my son shows me a posting on a Thai webboard indicating that XXX machine has been withdrawn from the market because of motor failure under load. 

2. Salesperson is trying hard to get the customer to buy a certain brand of TV. Potential customer asks 'why is this brand better?'  Response, 'because it's got a bigger motor'.

I have had sales guys at powerbuy do same exact thing with big screen tv on more than one occasion. The TV was the hot ON SALE Price, though not the cheapest. 

Also, remember when there was the LED vs LCD decision was part of the process ... I never had a sales person explain difference or handle question in any way close to helpful. At the end, I always walked away, sat down and read up on my phone to educate myself on the product and then make the purchase. Never took their advice. Strange. I am a big customer of Powerbuy. They even recognize me at Emporium (used to before it changed to EmQuartier). 

28 minutes ago, Minnehaha said:

It is rare to find a helpful person in shops - even Homepro where they get the sh*t trained out of them

Dare I say it, said store was where I was buying the insulation.

18 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

With the aircon, more like boiling point than melting point.

Go with the flow and understand there is little to no training and no one seems to care.

Some may have never attended school.

The buyer must do his own due diligence.

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

There is no honesty in Thailand when it comes to consumers Its engrained in the culture You see it from the corruption

It is BUYER BE WARE

plain and simple

You may find dishonesty and corruption in some of the big sales stores here, but in small shops and market stalls up here in the sticks, all I have ever seen is honesty.

Maybe that is because up here in the sticks, you see the real Thailand.

Most of the big stores are owned and run by capitalists who are out to get as much money from you as possible, and are not interested in giving you a decent service. The staff are trained in capitalist ways to obtain as much money from you as they can get.

19 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Me to but a good rant is good for the soul. 

My experience in buying white goods and consumer goods is that the salesperson will always try and sell an upgrade/more expensive item. Maybe they get an extra commission or something.

What can be worse is that my will usually listen to the salesperson and then become uncertain about whether to buy what I want (based on research) or what the salesperson recommends (always more expensive). It always surprises me that Thai people will usually believe what another Thai person tells them.

I remember talking to one of the Chinese sales persons at a gem shop in Sein Reap. She said they just loved it when Thai tour groups came in. All she had to do was to convince them the item was a bargain (e.g a 50,000 Baht jewelry item marked down to 500 Baht) and they would always buy it. No one was interested in my argument that the markup to 50,000 Baht was obviously a con and the item was probably only worth 50 Baht.

Its often completely frustrating buying anything of value here.

I go to Homepro a few days ago wanting to order a shower cubicle. A 90x90 is on display. I ask if larger available and they bring the brochure showing 100 x 100. I tell them I want to make sure that will fit and return 2 days later. After the usual bla bla bla between staff and my gf we wait while they call someone else, then someone else, till we learn that they do not actually have 100 x 100 base but I am told they do have 100 x 100 screens?? Can they order a base? I get the flat no. They do not make. I leave in frustrating disgust.

Go up the road to Boontawaan who have the same brand. Ask about 100 x 100 and find out that although they do not have they are awaiting a shipment. So the mystery is solved and as I am not in a hurry I order for the same price as Homepro.

I went to a nearby barber shop I had never been to for a shave yesterday. Through the window I could see a Thai getting a shave. I waited outside until he was done and walked in on he and the barber finishing up business. I asked the barber for a shave. "NO SHAVE" was the answer I got.  Even the exiting customer looked puzzled. I said "But he just got..." Cut off midsentance with "NO SHAVE". I walked out figuring I didn't want a razor held to my throat by someone who was previosly shouting at me but to say my head is still spinning would be an under statememt.  General rule here is assume you are disliked and being lied too is what I took from that encounter.

I rarely deal with the mundane tasks of life and let my wife handle it. Recently, our water pump failed and my wife called a friend who uses service people for her businesses. The friend sent over a plumber who recommended we buy a new pump; we did. The plumber installed a new pump and within the week it failed again.

My wife called the plumber, but he didn't show when scheduled, so she called the friend who came over with the plumber. The verdict; the switch which controls the pump is bad. The explanation was that it is a cheap switch and that 40% of these switches fail. Asked why he would use such a cheap switch; well, we all know why. The plumber said he would return the next day; he did not return. 

The friend called to ask about the pump and was so embarrassed that her plumber was so inept that she fired him from her business and found a new plumber. The new plumber came over and replaced the old switch; will wonders never cease, it now works fine. 

I continued my retirement unfettered from the humdrum of life—good thing my wife brought warm water to my third floor bath for my daily immersions in the interim.

2 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

It is rare to find a helpful person in shops - even Homepro where they get the sh*t trained out of them

You are lucky that someone tries to help you. At Phetchabun they are mostly too scared to come near a farang (I do not think I look that weird)

3 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

You are lucky that someone tries to help you. At Phetchabun they are mostly too scared to come near a farang (I do not think I look that weird)

Never had a problem there ? They always rush to ask what you want or carry the basket for you. Thats my experience anyway.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

You may find dishonesty and corruption in some of the big sales stores here, but in small shops and market stalls up here in the sticks, all I have ever seen is honesty.

Maybe that is because up here in the sticks, you see the real Thailand.

Could not agree more. I was in the market for a brushcutter and chain saw, looked at the big stores and then went to a small family store in Lomsak. The fellow tried to sell me the cheaper models verses the name brands. The only chain saw brand I knew was Stihl, about 8000 baht. He suggested, without any pressure, a Robota for 2700 baht. Cannot even find it on the internet but it does a lot of hard work without any problems. A good cheap machine.

If you find someone in a place such as Powerbuy trying to point you to a 'better' product than you want it is often because they do not work for Powerbuy but the company they are trying to push you towards. Same uniform but fake staff. Nothing is ever as it seems in Thailand. Smoke and mirrors.

2 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

My experience in buying white goods and consumer goods is that the salesperson will always try and sell an upgrade/more expensive item. Maybe they get an extra commission or something.

What can be worse is that my will usually listen to the salesperson and then become uncertain about whether to buy what I want (based on research) or what the salesperson recommends (always more expensive). It always surprises me that Thai people will usually believe what another Thai person tells them.

I remember talking to one of the Chinese sales persons at a gem shop in Sein Reap. She said they just loved it when Thai tour groups came in. All she had to do was to convince them the item was a bargain (e.g a 50,000 Baht jewelry item marked down to 500 Baht) and they would always buy it. No one was interested in my argument that the markup to 50,000 Baht was obviously a con and the item was probably only worth 50 Baht.

Yep, same thing has happened to me more than once. I do my research, I know what I want, only for the sales assistant to start telling my wife why we should be buying a different model or brand, because my choice is no good. My wife then also proceeds to tell me why my choice is no good, so I end up arguing with my wife... and end up buying nothing that day.

If I go with my wife I tell her now beforehand the models I am interested in and to stop them if they try to sell me something else by telling them they had best sell me what I want or I will be walking straight out the door and buy at their competitor. I never understood initially why they were willing to lose an easy sale by not simply selling me the product I wanted, but then I learnt the sales staff may be working for a competing manufacturer rather than the store. If it is at Tesco they never seem to have any stock of what I want to buy anyway (electrical items).

2 hours ago, English Engineer said:

I think it is a little unfair to Thailand. I think it is possible to find bad sales staff in many countries. I am not sure if Thailand is much worst than elsewhere. Bullshit is pretty universal.

Totally disagree with that. The BS here is on another level with the types of situations OP is describing. Too many to mention. Better just ignore and so own duedil 

3 hours ago, English Engineer said:

I think it is a little unfair to Thailand. I think it is possible to find bad sales staff in many countries. I am not sure if Thailand is much worst than elsewhere. Bullshit is pretty universal.

No it's not. Try to bullshit an Australian in Australia, or an Englishman in the UK, and watch the salesperson go down in flames. I've excluded the Americans due to their current President.

3 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Its when they do the upgrade speech and it insults my sensibilities that turns me off. A upgrade possibly on promotion gets my brain unblocked. 

20 hours ago, scorecard said:

Now when we get to the shops my son asks questions of the salespeople and my son often he catches them out with their on the moment bullshit answers. He's never rude but he makes his point and then walks away.  

1. We start looking at bigger size top loading washing machines, salesman quickly asks us to look at XXX machine at the end of the row. Salesman tells my son 'a little bit more expensive but much more powerful motor'.

In fact my son has already decided which machine to buy a different machine.

Can I borrow your son for a few days? I have some big shopping to do.

3 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Could not agree more. I was in the market for a brushcutter and chain saw, looked at the big stores and then went to a small family store in Lomsak. The fellow tried to sell me the cheaper models verses the name brands. The only chain saw brand I knew was Stihl, about 8000 baht. He suggested, without any pressure, a Robota for 2700 baht. Cannot even find it on the internet but it does a lot of hard work without any problems. A good cheap machine.

Yes, I have found that buying in the local stores in the town  where I live is often best. In Australia, the big chain stores would always have the best price. Here, the local shops are often cheaper, the service is knowledgeable and, of course, they'll fix any problems straight away. 

I bought my new Honda Cub locally for the same price I would have paid in the nearby city, but they threw in free servicing (labour) for the life of the bike. When I bring it in they drop everything and it's ready to go within the hour. I needed a new back-pack pressure spray unit to replace the 1,500 Baht unit I bought from Home Pro. The local guy recommended a unit he had on sale for 350 Baht and it's been far superior to the Home Pro unit in every respect. Similarly with a brush cutter.

I must admit I'm talking about general construction, home improvement, transport and hobby farming type goods. If I want higher end electronic goods I have to go to the big stores.