JW Black vs Sangsom

elgenon

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

How about drinking in moderation?

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

How about drinking in moderation?

Ok, i'm game,where is moderation? and whats different to drinking there? Is it near obscurity, or poverty, or misery, because i hear a lot of people die there.

4 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Ok, i'm game,where is moderation? and whats different to drinking there? Is it near obscurity, or poverty, or misery, because i hear a lot of people die there.

Funny.

Alcohol is one of the many things that make life pleasant / bearable (your choice).

But perhaps "drinking in moderation" is a concept that is difficult to grasp for certain nationalities.

6 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Have you ever heard the phrase "If you are going to drink spirits, drink high quality" ! Believe it or not it is true. I have had a bar in Pattaya for over 34 years and have seen the effects first hand. One guy used to arrive on holiday and go out and buy A CASE of your cheap thai whisky, take it up to his room, and within a week this was not a sane normal human being. Be warned. There are lots of inexpensive scotches out there without risking the damage done by cheap plonk !

Anyone who buys a case of booze to take up to his room and guzzle has a problem right then and there; no matter the booze.

If you really want take the short-cut, there is a corn whiskey in the US called Everclear; sold in 151 and 190 proof--that is 75% and 95% alcohol. You need something thick to mix with it. In college, we would mix it with Welch's Grape juice and called it Purple Passion--you got purple alright, but the passion was a little fuzzy.

Funny.
Alcohol is one of the many things that make life pleasant / bearable (your choice).
But perhaps "drinking in moderation" is a concept that is difficult to grasp for certain nationalities.

I found " drinking in moderation " a difficult concept to grasp unfortunately, beer was my tipple of choice or the occasional whisky, Logan and Ballentines were my favourite, so obviously not a connoisseur but I just liked the taste.
That was then.
Now the odd, ( once a month to be sociable ), Jack Soda is enough for me .

6 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

I will not be able to take the money with me.

Great reason to get a tattoo, take some of that money part way at least.

I do not understand 'taste' as far a whisky goes. It all comes out the stack as clear alcohol, later it gets 'flavor' from sitting in a used oak barrel. I'd think the oak barrel is the most important ingrediant, or the charcoal used to burn the inside of the barrel ? 

Edited by IAMHERE

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I drink Black Label mixed with Soda and a dash of coke when out in a club with friends (bottle on the table), or sometimes neat on ice if I'm feeling too full...  

Neat means no ice and not chilled. 

6 hours ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE:

Everything we buy has marketing now. Why do you consider JW "clever"? Do you consider the price difference between red and black labels to great for the increase in quality?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Unfortunately you are right, the cost price  of many products now mainly comes from their marketing (and taxes).

I am old school - I buy a product for what is in it, not for what some slick marketing manager has enhanced it with.

The difference between red and black JW? No idea, I seldom drink whisky, and if I do, I prefer the better stuff. Unless I want to get drunk - happens occasionally, in that case the cheapest available will do.

The difference between Red and Black Label ?.... in my younger years here in Bangkok when my friends and I went out on the sauce we used to drink Suntory Red... we suffered hangovers, after a while we switched to Johnny Red and suffered less extreme hangovers...  Switching to Johnny Black or Chivas the hangers were much reduced... 

Thus: When partying and mixing whisky with whatever the difference is very little, but the difference was noticed the next day... 

But mixing Beer, then Wine, then Whisky on an evening is a recipe for a tender morning after... No 4am noodles and a pint of water before bed can resolve that potential 'let me just stay in bed all day' moment !

Edited by richard_smith237

13 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Funny.

Life for me(talking as an individual and having no interest in other peoples drinking reasons) is pleasant enough. I couldn't want for much more. Drinking is a variable thing.It varies in its moments and its surroundings.I live in a village, and my friend across the road works off shore. He comes home every three months. When he hits the village, after Dubai, he will not have had a drink for some 3 month's 24 hours. We meet him at the airport and drive him home. All the other guys and wives come around. Bottles of Samsung, 285,Hong Thong are bought around, and we celebrate his safe return.We invariably over do it, but it makes life pleasant. Drinking alone, and becoming intoxicated to make life bearable is not in my agenda. There are guys who go to bars, to be in a crowd, and still drink to have to make life bearable.Its a pretty bad state of affairs, if you have to drink to make life bearable. sometimes i dont have a drink for a week.I have been over most of Europe and te united states, and parts of Africa, And to be honest, the Nationality that  seemed to have the most intense drinking problem was Scotland.So how do i gauge moderation? I certainly not go to see and old friend, and have 2 drinks because it moderation.Drug takers will tell you the same thing. They take drugs to make life pleasant and those that take drugs to make it bearable.

Your two places, pleasant/bearable, are so far apart, so its hard to say where one starts and the other ends.

17 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I stay away from Sangsom, It doesnt sit well with me. I tend to get argumentative, and quite acidic, in my humour.

I like JW, but i also like 100 pipers. But, today, in the local 7/11 i saw a 70cl bottle of Bells. The label is different. Its got the union Jack on it, but its 349b a bottle.If its pukka then its cheap,or maybe a promotion.

I've bought a bottle of the Bells, and it's quite palatable. The label says it's distilled and bottled in Scotland. No way of knowing if that is true.

12 hours ago, csabo said:

Neat means no ice and not chilled. 

I'm a heretic - I drink Scotch and Coke.

A distillery owner in Scotland demonstrated his correct way to drink Scotch. Pour 2-3 fingers, then add 2 - 3 drops of water. Wait for a couple of minutes for the flavour to release, then sip.

He had half a dozen premium single malts arranged for me to taste, but I'm afraid the nuances were wasted on me.

His idea of "premium" was quite elevated. According to him, Glenfiddich and Laphroiag were middle class.

22 hours ago, ChangMaiSausage said:

Sangsom every day of the week for me.... its not because its cheap its because I like it :smile:

One thing that does get me though I was in BKK earlier this year, sat outside a gogo bar in Cowboy, why is Sangsom so expensive?  Its cheap to buy but was priced as a top shelf spirit. 

Lao khao for me most days of the week. Not half as bad as people would have you believe.

The reason the locals go loopy after drinking it is because they start early in the day and drink huge amounts of it.

Lao khao is to Thais what vodka is to Russians, Tequila to Mexicans and what Gin used tone to the English.

Don't blame the drink before the imbiber.

As for Thai rums ....... too many unknown additives.

Then again there is Black cock ......but I won't go there.

44 minutes ago, Denim said:

Lao khao for me most days of the week. Not half as bad as people would have you believe.

Don't blame the drink before the imbiber.

Yes I wondered when this one was going to be added to the thread, I did once try it but wound up blind the following morning, so I remember through the haze

I do however use it often for cleaning the oil off the tractor at the bottom where it leeks oil, and the Mrs gives it regularly to Buda

On 5/19/2017 at 3:06 PM, bazza73 said:

I'm a heretic - I drink Scotch and Coke.

A distillery owner in Scotland demonstrated his correct way to drink Scotch. Pour 2-3 fingers, then add 2 - 3 drops of water. Wait for a couple of minutes for the flavour to release, then sip.

He had half a dozen premium single malts arranged for me to taste, but I'm afraid the nuances were wasted on me.

His idea of "premium" was quite elevated. According to him, Glenfiddich and Laphroiag were middle class.

Bourbon can be served with ice on the side and introduced slowly for similar reasons.  Scotch and coke certainly would offend a connoisseur but worse yet was the scotch and milk I saw routinely being poured at some very low brow establishments where I grew up and out of.